Need advice for applying as a Music/Video Operator

SouthCrackalackSouthCrackalack 3,853 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
Earlier I typed a HUGE post about this, and it disappeared. I am still in total fucking shock that I just lost all of it...but it is pretty important to me, so I am going to try to sum it up shorter..I am trying to get a Music/Video Operator job for a new Double A minor league team in my city. My dilemma is that usually when I make a resume, they are generic,typical, and boring..listing my OBJECTIVE,EDUCATION,and WORK EXPERIENCE. I feel like that's not gonna cut it w/ this job. I know its not some crazy high paying job, but it's a job I think I would dig a lot. I know you a lot of you guys on here probably have some insight and good advice for a fellow strutter. Here is the actual ad for the position:Music/Video OperatorThe Greenville Drive is looking for energetic people to staff our operations booth during games. Responsibilities would include but are not limited to operating our roving camera, playing music and video clips, or keeping score. Strong understanding of computers, knowledge of the game of baseball, able to work in a fast paced, intense atmosphere is required. This person must enjoy music and movies and have a good understanding of pop culture. Degree or training in Broadcasting preferred. Would only be required to work home games, hours approximately 4pm-11pm but can vary depending on game time. ok, I really would like to get this gig and here is the bottom line. My previous work experience is basically restaurant management(which is no help in regards to this position). My guess is that I need to trump up a resume displaying and exaggerating my experience in DJing and "production"(aka making beats on MPCs). I am guessing these people that will be hiring are all idiots, and I cant pretty much put whatever I want on a resume and things like DJing and working w/ samplers,sequencers,Cubase,etc will probably be a good look in their eyes. Question is..how should I go about making a resume that caters to this specific position? List DJ gigs,residences,produced tracks,etc w/ a little exaggeration? I have never really lied,fibbed, or stretched the truth on resumes before, but I feel like if I don't on this one, I could jeopordize not landing the gig. Should I just list a gazillion pieces of equipment I have used and are pretty good with..maybe even list ones I havent used but sound good on a resume? I mean, I know the job cant be hard at all..probably very basic i'd guess. Probably like one of those Cosmic Bowling Video DJ computer programs or something. Also..I played baseball for 8 or 9 years, so I know the game well..so that isnt an issue at all.Basically, I just need some advice on how to layout my resume and what type things to put on there. I've just never applied for a job like this before.So..if any Strutters can help me out w/ some tips or advice, i'd REALLY appreciate it. I've got to get out of restaurant hell.

Comments

• aegisaegis 261 Posts
    Here is one small suggestion:

Don't underestimate the ability to play up the restaurant managing as a way to show that you are "able to work in a fast paced, intense atmosphere". If there is a cover letter you could point out why you included this experience.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Strong understanding of computers

- put down your graphics design skills
    - any audio editing you've done on computers
    - any web stuff you've done

knowledge of the game of baseball

- your years of playing the game

able to work in a fast paced intense atmosphere is required

- restaurant manager (it doesn't get more intense)
    - also shows you work well with others
    - are well organized and got good time management skills

must enjoy music and movies and have a good understanding of pop culture

- dj / productions stuff
    - mixes you've put out (if any)

Degree or training in Broadcasting preferred

- this will be the only thing that might hurt you but if the rest outweighs it it should be ok

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    As a fellow job hunter, I'd advise getting to know the business you're searching out. Find out who is hiring, make connections both related/non-related. Don't limit yourself to just applying via a faxed/emailed resume.

What Asprin said is key. Just make that ish look good and make sure your cover letter explains why you're the perfect candidate at the job.

And no, I did not delete your OG thraed. I busy getting my listening station on at a the store dstill808 works at though.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    if you have access to/or have webspace, that can definately be a "wow" factor. putting up a small, online resume that shows some of your work (design and music realted) might help if the people hiring are hip to whats going on. at the job i had a couple years ago, having a website/web resume is what i think got me the job over the other applicants.

• thanks guys, solid points everyone..exactly the kind of feedback I am needing. I am still unsure on how to actually layout the resume. My current(which is god awful) looks like this:

name,address,etc...

objective: (one sentence)
    -----------------------

education (the school I presently attend and what degree I am seeking
    ------------------------

work experience (my 3 last jobs-all non musical related)
    --------------------------

for example Asprin, I am curious to where I should list all of the key details that you highlighted in your post. All great points, that I want to include...just not sure the correct place(s) or order they should go. I think a crucial element of my resume will be the music related things..DJ gigs/promotion/music production/mix info, but just not sure where to list it..I know I can't tie it into my work experience(or can I?) I have no clue.. Basically, my resume needs a total fucking makeover..thats for sure. But i'd like to knock it out tonight, so I could fax/email it over in the A.M.

in a nutshell..I really need to step my resume game up.

thanks everyone for the input..all of you dudes are a big help

• if you have access to/or have webspace, that can definately be a "wow" factor. putting up a small, online resume that shows some of your work (design and music realted) might help if the people hiring are hip to whats going on. at the job i had a couple years ago, having a website/web resume is what i think got me the job over the other applicants.

yeah that would be fucking perfect..but I dont have any space anymore. I let it go a while back. Too bad, would come in handy right about now.

Do any of you guys get creative w/ your resumes? I try to do searches for them on google, but I just get run of the mill type shit. I want to see some dope shit. the way its SUPPOSED to be done.

anyone want to step up to the plate?

Look around, there are a lot of example resumes, especially for tech jobs out there.

Resumes and portfolios can be laid out however you want, but stick with the basics:

Contact Info

Objective (not required but nice)

Schooling

Relevant Experience

Freelance/Part Time Work (if you have any)

Skills

Additional Info (clubs, awards, hobbies, leadership, etc)

...and that's about it. Also peep out the cover letter examples online.

good luck!

I'd put relevant experience ahead of schooling...

list the job and 2-3 sentences describing what you gained from that job or what kind of skills it required

• how does this look:

contact info-....

objective-...

relevant work experience -(all music related stuff, since it is relevant to the job job I am applying for)

regular work experience- (restaurant management,etc)

education-web design(in progress)

skills-(list music related skills-equipment wise,etc/promoting/graphic design,etc

additional info- Dean's List, batches!

how does that sound as a general outline?

keep it on one page?
    ive always been told that unless u are up in age and have a hell of a work history..keep that shit on one page.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I would say that unless you were in some exceptional shit for school or graduated from a well-known music/video college to put education after experience.

I would say that unless you were in some exceptional shit for school or graduated from a well-known music/video college to put education after experience.

yerp!

• how does this look:

contact info-....

objective-...

relevant work experience -(all music related stuff, since it is relevant to the job job I am applying for)

skills-(list music related skills-equipment wise,etc/promoting/graphic design,etc

keep it on one page?
    ive always been told that unless u are up in age and have a hell of a work history..keep that shit on one page.

how does this look:

contact info-....

objective-...

keep it on one page?

Cool, make sure you describe each position, etc like Asprin said. Looks solid. Good luck, and don't forget to send out a thank you card/note if you get an interview, etc.

Keep us posted, cheers

-M

• oh yeah..thank you card. very important..I always forget that.

but about the 1 page thing..keep it on 1 page, right?

how many jobs under "relevant" and "work experience" would u suggest listing? is there a rule to how many to list..or how little to list?

oh yeah..thank you card. very important..I always forget that.

but about the 1 page thing..keep it on 1 page, right?

how many jobs under "relevant" and "work experience" would u suggest listing? is there a rule to how many to list..or how little to list?

No rules, list what's relevant and will fit. If you're been working a while, it will probably be at least 3-4 things, maybe up to 6??? This is really up to you.

1 page, definitely.

• bet..

thanks for the help.

oh..and nice avatar!

don't forget a cover letter that kinda summerized your skills and how they make you qualified for the job

good luck

• don't forget a cover letter that kinda summerized your skills and how they make you qualified for the job

good luck

yeah, that I will have to work on...I have NEVER done a cover letter in my life. Now do you wonder why submitting resumes has never landed me a job? ha.

Only thing I am sort of stuck on right now..is under the Relevant Experience, where I am listing DJ gigs and residences..How do you think I should list them?

Relevant Experience March 2001- Jan 2003
    Billy Bobs Boobie Brothel
    Resident DJ

Should I go into detail somewhere on here about actually going out, getting the DJ night secured and started up,promoting,etc...or just leave it somewhat general like I listed above?

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Definitely one page.

Ditch the objective -- that's what cover letters are for.

Relevant work experience first -- you can make DJing sound very relevant.

Restaurant experience second -- it still shows reliability, responsibility, etc.

Additional/Related skills third

Education last (unless it is in broadcasting, as the ad suggested).

Stretch the truth. Seriously.

• Definitely one page.

Ditch the objective -- that's what cover letters are for.

Relevant work experience first -- you can make DJing sound very relevant.

Restaurant experience second -- it still shows reliability, responsibility, etc.

Additional/Related skills third

Education last (unless it is in broadcasting, as the ad suggested).

Stretch the truth. Seriously.

word booty.

when listing DJ jobs/residences...what all information would you include? just "DJ", where it was at? dates? what if you did all promotions(graphic design,etc)?

• also, if skipping the objective..is summary okay? or leave that out as well and go straight to experience??

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    also, if skipping the objective..is summary okay? or leave that out as well and go straight to experience??

I would cut right to the relevant experience.

Yeah, definitely mention the promoting and design aspects of your DJ gigs -- if you have fliers and such, you might consider compiling them into a portfolio. They may value your creativity because the job itself requires creative ways to get the crowd enthusiatic and enhance the fans' experience. Also, minor league baseball can always use some promotion -- they might think you can help in that area.

PM me if you want me to have a look at your final resume/cover letter. I don't mind, and I'll be up for a bit sniping auctions.

I ain't claiming to be the very best, but I'm definitely in the top 1%. I just finished up a job hunt myself and my resume was