MAG Records Pressing Question (Peru-Psych Related)

ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
Does anybody know the major difference(s) between these two pressings? I think the black label is the true OG, with the multi-colored one being less OG--but how much less (should I pai)?

Comments

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Maybe, the black label pressing is for an export pressing. I bet MAG would have been sued by Sussex in the US.

I'm no big help, but it could really be an export pressing. MPS has so many export pressings with same covers, but different labels.

• I'm pretty sure the black labels are earlier pressings, I don't know how much earlier though. Regardless, Peruvian records are pretty hard to turn up, I'd go for the one in better condition. Great album that Telegraph Ave.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Black labels must be the first pressings. For example, Tarkus (which I am pretty sure only ever got one pressing, as few as 50 copies) was only a black label, and it came out a bit later than T.A. And both of Laghonia's albums, which came out a bit earlier than T.A., were also only black label--I don't think I've ever seen label variations of those offered. However, the more popular Mag albums got several repressings and label colors. Like Los Yorks--their first album has popped up with black, orangish, yellow, and rainbow Mag labels. So have We All Together and Traffic Sound. In fact, the only Traffic Sound record I've seen solely black label pressings of is A Bailar Gogo, which was their earliest and rarest.
    Anyone else have more info? Mag was surely one of the greatest labels of the '60s and '70s anywhere...

Cobalt

• I have always wondered how it is that Peru had such a thriving psych rock scene in the 60s and 70s. The records from that era are fucking great and real hard to come by now and days. I've always wanted to go to Peru on a digging trip, but I can only assume that these records are not cheap there, and also in the hand of a few dealers who sell on ebay and have top dollar pricing. Also whats up with grading in percantages, what does 75% sound mean?!?!? Can I get a copy of Machu Pichu 2000 for less than $50? feck! Too bad these joints didn't make it to PR or NY. I just don't ever see this stuff, not even at record shows, but I need, I want, I have to have!!!!

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Thanks for all of the info, Cobalt and Garcia Vega--very helpful on my personal musical journey.