where is this mix from?

missruckusmissruckus 49 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
so i have this dj friend who has in the past passed off a mix that was someone else's as his own. he just sent out a new one that i suspect is not his because i doubt he owns some of these records, they sound stylistically nothing like his usual mixes, and last i checked, his technical skills were not as good.anyone know where this mix might be from? http://s63.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0IHKG1G43ZKOU1WYWJAJ3DSU49tracklisting:01 Earth Wind & Fire - Shining Star02 Beastie Boys - Shake Your Rump03 Amerie - One Thing04 Amerie, Elephant Man, Mr Vegas - One Thing (Remix)05 Naughty By Nature - Wickedest Man Alive06 Billy Squier - Big Beat07 Cypress Hill - Insane In The Brain08 Dr. Dre - Ain't Nothin But A G Thang09 David Banner - Play10 Notorious BIG - Hypnotize11 Method Man - Bring The Pain (Remix)12 Alkaholiks - Make Room13 Kenny Dope - Don Dada14 Mo' Horizons - Drums n Boogaloo (Fort Knox 5 rmx)15 O'Jays - For The Love Of Money16 Beatnuts - Watch Out Now17 Janet Jackson - Nasty Boys18 Run DMC - Walk This Way19 Aerosmith - Walk This Way20 Afrodisiac Sound System w/ Raphael Saadiq - It's So Nice21 Busta Rhymes - Fire It Up22 Punjabi MC - Mundian To Bach Ke23 Mr Vegas - Hands In The Air24 Rihanna - Pon De Replay25 Kos - Crabbukkit26 Isley Brothers - It's Your Thang27 Bangles - Walk Like An Egyptian28 Simon Harris - Power Swing break29 Kool & The Gang - Jungle Boogie30 Missy Elliot - Pass The Dutch (Instrumental)31 Gwen Stefani - Hollaback Girl (Acapella)32 Michael Jackson - Billie Jean33 Protassov ft Jungle Brothers - Cruise Control34 Ronnie Hudson - West Coast Pop Lock35 Vaughan Mason - Bounce, Rock, Skate, Roll (Re Edit)36 Eminem - Without Me (Acapella)37 Diana Ross - Upside Down38 Beastie Boys - Triple Trouble39 Sugarhill Gang - Rapper's Delight40 Eddie Grant - Electric Avenue41 DJ Day - Gone Beats42 Rob Base & DJ Ez Rock - It Takes Two43 Nickodemus - Give The Drummer Some44 Nas - Made You Look (Apache Remix)45 Jackson Sisters - I Believe In Miracles (Remix)46 INXS - Need You Tonight47 Britney Spears - Slave 4 U (Instrumental)48 Jackson 5 - Want You Back49 El Jay vs Lady Sovereign & Fred Wesley - Random House Party

Comments

• the more i listen, the more convinced i am that this is not his mix.

so sketchy to steal someone else's mix!

i'm going to ask him if i could borrow some of these records and see what he comes up with..

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Some dude from Australia I know that I went to Japan did this to get a show in a r&b nightclub... pretty lame if you ask me... fakin' the funk...

peace.

• seriously? do you have a link to it? what's his name?

I KNEW IT!

i am gonna confront my friend about this. so lame.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    seriously? do you have a link to it? what's his name?

I KNEW IT!

i am gonna confront my friend about this. so lame.

I think sheep may have been saying he knows someone who also tried to pass of someone else's mix as his/her own. Not that he knows who did the mix.

• ah, okay.. damn.. i thought my sleuth work got results already.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I'm enjoying the mix, though. Thanks!

• yeah, it's an enjoyable mix.

oh yeah, when i asked him over MSN to lend me some of the records (i named ones he very likely doesn't have like the bhangra ones and the bangles), he said he made the mix using serrato scratch, which i wasn't aware he owned (if he even does).. so i asked him to show me how to use it next time i am over there. when i am over there, maybe he'll say, "oh, i don't have it here right now cuz it's being....lent out."

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    Ive seen this mix posted on a different message board awhile ago, I recognize the tracklist. But I could be wrong you know

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Ive seen this mix posted on a different message board awhile ago, I recognize the tracklist. But I could be wrong you know

You're seeing other people?

• i don't suppose you remember which one?

• i have a sneaking suspicion maybe he used a couple peoples mixes to make this one mix.

• 41 DJ Day - Gone Beats
    42 Rob Base & DJ Ez Rock - It Takes Two
    43 Nickodemus - Give The Drummer Some
    44 Nas - Made You Look (Apache Remix)
    XXXplosive Tour CD-cosmo baker, pase rock & spankrock

1. Spankrock "Get It On The Floor" (Produced By Disco D) / Coldcut feat. Roots Manuva & Spankrock "Cooler Than Cool" XXXchange remix / Nicodemus & Real Live Show "Give The Creator Some" / Nas "Made You Look" (Gringo Starr Apache RMX) / DJ Day "Gone Bad"/Kardinal Offishall feat. Busta Rhymes "Watchalike"

i recognize other parts of the tracklist too.....hmmmm

• hmmmm.....this seems super lametown to me. Why not just multi track your shit if you skills aren't that tight (that's what I do! ) It's pretty much understood that if you do a pre-recorded mix it's probably multi-traked unless you explicitly brag about it being "live"

• hmmmm.....this seems super lametown to me. Why not just multi track your shit if you skills aren't that tight (that's what I do! ) It's pretty much understood that if you do a pre-recorded mix it's probably multi-traked unless you explicitly brag about it being "live"

it's not even technically all that tight (there is some bad scratching in the mix, for example ) but it's more that some of it was put together very well.. and it's not something i've known this friend to do (knowing how to select).

anyway, thanks ya'll for the help!