Did the Happy Mondays "cover" Can's Halleluwah?

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
Happy Monday's is credited with writing what sounds to me like an obvious cover of someone else's song. Say it ain't so, Joe...

Comments

• Happy Monday's is credited with writing what sounds to me like an obvious cover of someone else's song.

Say it ain't so, Joe...

Isn't Can's "Halleluwah" a sprawling 15+ minute monster off of "Tago Mago".....dunno how anyone would even approach covering that.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Happy Monday's is credited with writing what sounds to me like an obvious cover of someone else's song.

Say it ain't so, Joe...

Isn't Can's "Halleluwah" a sprawling 15+ minute monster off of "Tago Mago".....dunno how anyone would even approach covering that.

18+ minutes!! But characterized by a single, very recognizable, rolling drum and bass pattern. The real question is why anyone would bother trying to outdo Holger and Jaki?

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I really hope thats not a cover of Can. It's horrible.

- spidey

• it's funny, I listened to and enjoyed some HM stuff the first time around, back when I had no concept of CAN and few sample references to go on...and even without hearing them both side by side, I'm sure it's a rip-off. That was kind of their style, though...for better and for worse. As for who got credit for the song--this was back in '89, when the wild west of sampling laws and copyrights was just beginning to get reigned in by labels and holders. I mean they sampled for the love of money on one of the remixes from that EP...

Still like Pills&Thrills&Bellyaches though--it has sentimental value.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Still like Pills&Thrills&Bellyaches though--it has sentimental value.

Same here.