Arthur Conley?

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
I really like this Soul Directions LP. Proppppppppppps

Comments

• word up to Otis Redding's protege! "Sweet Soul Music" is also a great LP!

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    "Sweet Soul Music" is also a great LP!

• Conley (R.I.P.) is seriously underrated. Not only were his Atlantic recordings good (on Atlantic sub-labels Atco, Fame and Jotis) but he did some good things in the 70's on Capricorn (produced by Swamp Dogg).

My A.C. top ten:
    "Sweet Soul Music"
    "Otis, Sleep On"
    "I Can't Stop (No, No, No)"
    "Burning Fire"
    "Star Review"
    "Love Sure Is A Powerful Thing"
    "God Bless"
    "Rita"
    "Funky Street"
    "Keep On Talking" (harmony vocals by Otis Redding himself!)

BONUS TRACKS: both sides of the single he did as 1/5 of the Soul Clan ("Soul Meeting" b/w "That's How It Feels")

• The songs on this record that are killing me: "Get Yourself Another Fool" and "Put Our Love Together"

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

"Funky Street"

Played that recently on a web radio show, I had forgotten how excellent that tune is! Just came charging out!

• He lived in Holland for the last 20+ years and passed on November 16, 2003 in a small (farm)town called Ruurlo. The article below notes that he was active "coaching soulgroups and making chairs and carpets"

file under:things that seem weird at first, but seem logical after you found out Nina Simone lived in the saddest highway hotel of your hometown for a few years.

• I really love the flip to "funky street" called "put our love together" , i must say i often prefer Arthur to Otis

/L

• NO SOULSTRUT "RESPECT" THREAD IS COMPLETE WITHOUT A PHOTO, SO HERE IT IS![/b]

• He lived in Holland for the last 20+ years and passed on November 16, 2003 in a small (farm)town called Ruurlo. The article below notes that he was active "coaching soulgroups and making chairs and carpets"

How interesting, I wonder what the chairs and carpets look like?

This is a great Monday morning thread, thinking about Arthur Conley's songs makes me happy.

• And if you DJ a soul night in a club like I do, Conley is always a good bet since a number of his songs are furiously uptempo.

How interesting, I wonder what the chairs and carpets look like?

This is a great Monday morning thread, thinking about Arthur Conley's songs makes me happy.

You can see some of it in this little item on him from I think '88. I think one of his carpets was called Atlantis.

http://www.vpro.nl/programma/ram/afleveringen/14927343/items/14991827/

(video link is on the right side of the page)

• thinking about Arthur Conley's songs makes me happy.