Tell me about MEXICO (holiday r)

On_the_Red_ClayOn_the_Red_Clay 1,728 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
Just booked a ticket- flying to Mexico City on the 4th of april, returning to Holland on the 17th!My GF touring around Mexico in feb / march (she stars in a play), so we decided to attach a small vacation when she gets off. We meet in Mexico City with the idea is to travel away from there asap. Here's where the Strutter's Lexicon of Shared Experience comes in.I dont know a whole lot about Mexico. Looking for a place from where you can - ideally - make short trips to the jungle / beach / temples / cultural raer / etc. Not looking for big tourist resorts.Anybody have any experience in Mexico? What's good? Would like to hear any do's and dont's you want to post... thanks! NB: already looking forward to:* Mexican Easter* The Food* The Weather* Tryin to speak Spanish

Comments

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    look in to oaxaca city... lots of ruins, art, beautiful zocalos and cathedrals. It's in the mountains, so the weather is very mild.

Puerto Escondido. Beautiful small town with great surf. Day trips are very easy as there are many beaches around this area (Puerto Angel, etc.)

• The best thing about Mexico is that you are a short flight away from Costa Rica and Belize. Those dates are prime Spring Break times.

• look in to oaxaca city... lots of ruins, art, beautiful zocalos and cathedrals. It's in the mountains, so the weather is very mild.

Uber cosign. I was sick as a dog (fuck the water, don't drink the bottled soda that's been sitting in ice from the water!) but that place was absolutely beautiful and had a real supernatural feeling to it.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    The best thing about Mexico is that you are a short flight away from Costa Rica and Belize. Those dates are prime Spring Break times.

Shut it mouth. My girl's family is from Mexico. It's one of the most interesting countries in the world evar. Costa Rica and Belize are just full of surfers, eco-tourists, and crack heads, Mexico is realness, and best peoples.

I once read in a guidebook intro that King so and so of Spain asked one of his conquistadors what Mexico was like and he responded by taking a sheet of paper and crumpling it up, throwing it on the table and saying - there. That means it's got a lot of mountains.

Seriously, years and years of things to see there.

• We honeymooned in the Yucatan back in October. Rented a car, got the fuck outta Cancun within minutes of our arrival and never went back. Chitzen Itza & Uxmal ruin sites were mindblowing, Tulum coastline was killer...but we actually had the most fun in Merida, a colorful inland city. We got waylaid there due to Hurricane Wilma, but no regrets. If you can swing a rental (and are going to leave Mexico City for awhile), drive around and explore. Bus tours are ok, but you miss a lot if you're stuck on a schedule.

Then again, trying to do the Yucatan may be stretching it on your itinerary...from what I hear, Mexico City and Oaxaca each deserve their own trip.

No matter what you end up seeing, I'm sure you'll enjoy it...

• The best thing about Mexico is that you are a short flight away from Costa Rica and Belize. Those dates are prime Spring Break times.

Shut it mouth. My girl's family is from Mexico. It's one of the most interesting countries in the world evar. Costa Rica and Belize are just full of surfers, eco-tourists, and crack heads, Mexico is realness, and best peoples.

hahaha, I'm a hatter, while Costa and Belize may be full of eco-tourists and surfers, at least they're not full of fraternity and sorority fucks! But you're right Mexico is real, real fucked up!!

The best thing about Mexico is that you are a short flight away from Costa Rica and Belize. Those dates are prime Spring Break times.

hahaha, I'm a hatter, while Costa and Belize may be full of eco-tourists and surfers, at least they're not full of fraternity and sorority fucks! But you're right Mexico is real, real fucked up!!

Step your tourism game up.

• Check the Frifa Kjalo museum in the Coyocan district. It's her old house. Lot's of cafe's and hot girls near by. Papa Beto's Jazz Bistro is my pops place. Check out the Palacia De Bellas Artes for Rivera and Sequeros murals. Zocalo is cool too. Like old downtown or something. Lot's of markets are everywhere. Good cheap food, but don't eat at KFC or Taco Bell. It's over priced and worse than here, which is bad enough.

If you do know about DF and Chilangos then.....

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    Unless your GF is going to be sick of the place, I would recommend saving a few days to hang around Mexico City - it's big and interesting, with lots to do. I would also second the suggestion to go to Oaxaca - it's really easy to get there from Mexico City (it's easy to get anywhere - Mexico city has 4 bus stations, each as big as an airport) - sure, it's touristy, but it's really nice, and the food is awesome (maybe take a cooking class? - there are lots there). If you want to go to the beach, however, from Oaxaca it's an 8 hour mountanous bus journey to the beach, and there's not really a convenient return route other than to go back to Oaxaca.

Oaxaca thirded and I've also heard good things about Pto Escondido. But if you go that way, it will be pretty hard to make it to Yucatan as well (temples), especially if you are bussing it. A lot of resort cities have a zona hotelera and an old town... stay as far away as possible from the hotel zone and anywhere should be peachy.

My girl's 96 y/o gramps in the gray hat

Cosign: don't drink that stuff no matter how refreshing it looks.

Chatted german with these Menonites' grandads. Bizarre. They are originally from Bavaria via Russia and Canada and now live in a dustbowl.

Yes

Drove this beast down from Santa Fe. The car was pretty unweildy as well.

If you like nature and all that

There's about 8 of these. 10 mins = 45 minute hike.

He was lonely and just wanted someone to delouse him.

Rent a small car so you can shit yourself overtaking these things on windy mountain roads.

Interact with the locals. Kids will watch your car/bags for pesos.

Food is ridiculously cheap and tasty if you have a few basic utensils with you.

sunsets are best of the Pacific coast, natch. But the water is a relatively chilly.

• thanks for the so far dudes- keep it coming! (and thanks for the pics S*****)

we're planning on getting out of Mexico City and taking a bus to a "central" location (relatively speaking) and more or less be based there, and spend the two weeks enjoying a particular area of Mexico (also to do with the fact that the GF will have worked her ass off all over the country the previous seven weeks)

Food is ridiculously cheap and tasty if you have a few basic utensils with you.

what utensils? curious...

stay as far away as possible from the hotel zone and anywhere should be peachy.

:noted:

No matter what you end up seeing, I'm sure you'll enjoy it...

Thats our angle exactly.

what utensils? curious...

Just a knife that can cut up 25c avocados, tomatoes, and queso blanco. Stick in a tortilla, sprinkle with salt and lime juice, wash down with Pacifico, and that's lunch. If you wanna go next level, or are staying in a studio room, you can buy bags of pre-fried beans and re-fry them. The bags don't look that great, but the taste is.

Food in general is not spicy at all... tends to be cooked a bit spicier in the big cities though.

• one last bump to squeeze some more info / stories out of strutters... i know they're out there!