Prestige Suggestions?

behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
im looking at a pretty big jazz collection this weekthe guy says its mostly Prestige stuffany advice on what to look for?any help would be lovelythanks

Comments

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Take whatever you can afford. One of my favourite labels. I know that's no help - I'm just jealous.

• george braith's "musart" if you dont own it already.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    If you are looking for resale, grab all the Coltrane stuff you see. And by the same token, be picky about what Willis Jackson's you grab.

"Soulful Drums of Joe Dukes" by Joe Dukes, which is pretty much a Jack McDuff record, is great, stuff like McDuff's "The Honeydripper" and "Tuff Duff" are good organ jazz LPs that are usually in demand with someone too.

Late 60s and early 70s Rusty Bryant LPs are great for funky jazz. "Fire-eater", "Wildfire" and "Soul Liberation" just to name a few.

Billy Butler's "Guitar Soul" has the excellent 'Blow for Crossing' track, and the rest of the LP is also nice. OG copies are not easy to find.

Charles Earland's Prestige stuff is great too, "Black Talk!", "Leaving this Earth"(2LP set) are just 2 to keep yer eyes open for.

as mentioned, "Musart" by George Braith is nice, as is "Laughing Soul" with Braith being supported by Grant Green.

lots more....

• Take whatever you can afford.

seriously. your question would be better posed as 'Which titles should i NOT buy?'
    but i guess if we're trying to list the true essentials, definitely pick up Mal Waldron's 'the Quest'.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    definitely pick up Mal Waldron's 'the Quest'.

I always forget that's on Prestige, and on that note, Eric Dolphy's "Out There", actually most Dolphy on Prestige is worthwhile.