Why Hip Hop ain't as good as it once was.....

MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
Mango Theory of why hip hop isn???t as dope as it was..If you notice around 88- 91 hip hop was very spiritual they believed in something greater than the all mighty dollar. Most cats at that time where finding there spiritual side. Brand Nubian, Lakim Shabazz, KMD, ATCQ, etc???. Then Hip Hop went gangsta, which was good cause their was still a lot of emotion involved??? Nowadays Kids just chasing loot, which shows in their work..Though their still is Good LP???s out theirs just more crap to weed threw???Now I read this and see how lame I sound, I guess it???s the fruit (Mango, Green with Salt= yummy;) and vitamins mixed with coffe???.I guess I miss solid HIP HOP LP???s, ah theirs still good ones out their, I'm just

Comments

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Mango Theory of why hip hop isn???t as dope as it was..

If you notice around 88- 91 hip hop was very spiritual they believed in something greater than the all mighty dollar. Most cats at that time where finding there spiritual side. Brand Nubian, Lakim Shabazz, KMD, ATCQ, etc???.
    Then Hip Hop went gangsta, which was good cause their was still a lot of emotion involved???
    Nowadays Kids just chasing loot, which shows in their work..
    Though their still is Good LP???s out theirs just more crap to weed threw???

Now I read this and see how lame I sound, I guess it???s the fruit (Mango, Green with Salt= yummy;) and vitamins mixed with coffe???.

I guess I miss solid HIP HOP LP???s, ah theirs still good ones out their, I'm just

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    If you rely on mass media for hip-hop you'll be dissapointed.You have to have the will to seek out/weed out the good shit. There is good bling/krunk/grime type shit out there. Music morphs. This shit is definitely co-opted.Whatever,time will tell if another sub movement within the game can give hip hop 3 good summers of goodburger shit. It wont come from the majors. We cant expect the dumb public to
    swap Quasimoto for "Whomevers hot on national radio".
    Can we please get off the Golden era stuff.
    Shit was hot 79'to 85' as well as 91'to96'. Whatever-blah blah blah.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Hip-Hop keeps gettin' better and better, that's my word.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

If you notice around 88- 91 hip hop was very spiritual they believed in something greater than the all mighty dollar. Most cats at that time where finding there spiritual side. Brand Nubian, Lakim Shabazz, KMD, ATCQ, etc???.
    Then Hip Hop went gangsta, which was good cause their was still a lot of emotion involved???

Now I read this and see how lame I sound, I guess it???s the fruit (Mango, Green with Salt= yummy;) and vitamins mixed with coffe???.

I guess I miss solid HIP HOP LP???s, ah theirs still good ones out their, I'm just

yeah I really miss the spirituality of 88-91

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

Why most music ain't as good as it once was.....

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Ain't you banned yet?

• fuck this is a tired ass subject...motherfuckers need to make a time machine and get all Marty Mcfly up in that bitch.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

If you notice around 88- 91 there were no Internet message boards.[/b]

We'll say that ATCQ made loot, and continued making loot because their style made loot. Why do you think Q-Tip went all Vivrant Thing? Cause his earlier style stopped making loot.[/b]

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    rap is fucking awesome right now. theres a lot more rap albums being released now than there were in the 90s so that may make it seem like there's more trash being released. i still think that theres a good amount of good shit being released.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

Ain't you banned yet?

seriously.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Hi,

I could understand someone saying this 5 years ago, but there's a lot of good shit out now...

Peace

h

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

Ain't you banned yet?

seriously.

For real! I thought I was a pain in the ass.

Hip Hop has just become the main music form so there is lots of crap you have to weed through (as stated). I think the fact that hip hop is so popular and is given a chance makes it better in the long run. It's like saying all Jazz music sucks just cuz Kenny G sucks. Free you mind and you ass will follow.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Hi,

I could understand someone saying this 5 years ago, but there's a lot of good shit out now...

I phased out for a few months, and when I did, I missed a lot of good stuff. It is very easy to complain about what once was, but it's been said many times, there's A LOT out there. Formulas have been tested, extracted, and now mass produced. That is what sells, but more importantly, that is what the majors want to sell. It's no longer a slow ride to the top of the charts, it's already known what will be the three singles and videos, which will have the remix treatment, and who will appear in what films for the next 9 months. A section of the music is much more calculated than it once was, and that's what you hear 24 hours a day. 20 years ago, unless you lived in NYC or LA, rap music was not on for that many hours, if at all. If you were lucky, your cable system had BET. In the mid-80's, as a few artists started picking up on the "hip-hop trend", radio stations would specifically ask for non-rap mixes. There was a threat. That Brandy song produced by Kanye West, it too came in a non-rap version, and that was from last year.

I'm getting off-topic again, but there's a hell of a lot of great hip-hop out there, and we all know that. The term "it's hard to find" is not acceptable in this age of MP3's, p2p, or the internet. Mercer and Sandbox have been doing their thing for years, Fat Beats now has a web presence, Mike Pizzo still doing his thing in Las Vegas... even in the Wu era, when you couldn't turn around without hearing Method Man on something, there were white labels of anything and everything, and within that were loads of indie/underground artists. Someone like Derelect Camp might not have been huge, or maybe only a few people remembered the stoned guy in the "Funky Soul Sensation" video, but within the growth of mainstream hip-hop was the stuff that didn't try too hard to be a pop anything. Group Home's "Supa Star", still one of the best songs of the last ten years.

Yet look at the growth of the music between 1995 and 2005. Whoever guessed Twista would be back? Whoever guessed Kwame would be back? Hell, whoever thought the man who once said "fuck Hollywood, man" would be someone with a successful acting career?

There's a hell of a lot of good music coming out today. It is great to look back at what we all grew up listening to, that's my "hanabata days" right there. But you have music by One.Be.Lo, Oh No, Time Machine, Crown City Rockers, Blue Scholars, Deep Thinkers, Trek Life, Braille, Anonymous, Old Joseph, Arcane, Little Brother, Foreign Exchange, Illwill, SMI, Thump, CasUno, Boom Bap Project, Greyskul, Ricci Rucker, Earth Movers, 2Mex, Tanya Morgan, Soul-Junk, Gunther B., Edan, and everyone who is making quality music for today. I say if people can't find any good rap music coming out in 2005, perhaps its time to have a passion for another genre.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

"ain't taking no (spiritual) shorts no more"

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    fuck this is a tired ass subject...motherfuckers need to make a time machine and get all Marty Mcfly up in that bitch.

co-signature

There's this music store in my town that has a sign up in their guitars section that says "NO PLAYING STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN". I think SStrut should do the same with this topic.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    fuck this is a tired ass subject...motherfuckers need to make a time machine and get all Marty Mcfly up in that bitch.

co-signature

There's this music store my town that has a sign up in their guitars section that says "NO PLAYING STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN". I think SStrut should do the same with this topic.
    just like in "waynes world".

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

co-signature

There's this music store my town that has a sign up in their guitars section that says "NO PLAYING STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN". I think SStrut should do the same with this topic.

yea! forgot about that...

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

Forget about going back in time, though, I'm trying to go forward in time to when that post-hip-hop music hits the scene.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Forget about going
    back in time, though, I'm trying to go forward in time to when that post-hip-hop music hits the scene.

That would be "Lesson 6"

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Hmmmmm...it has some of that "post-hip-hop spirit," but I don't know that "Lesson 6" can do all of the things one might ask an autonomous and decidedly post-hip-hop music to do, you see.

• hans_lucashans_lucas 159 Posts

co-signature

yea! forgot about that...

Actually, I'd heard that Mike Myers (ex of Toronto) was inspired by that music store's sign for the joke in Wayne's World.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    This post belongs at okayplayer.com