PORTABLE PRODUCTION TIPS?

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
So I'm going on tour for liek 2 months. I want to stay busy with production while I'm out. Does anyone have any tips as to what I should be using, looking to use?I have a G4 iBook, external HD, a little Dr. Sample 303, an M-Box with Protools, Reason and Abelton Live. That's probably enough to keep me rolling, right?

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    maybe a midi keyboard of some sort?

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Don't overdo it. You might not have more than an hour to fuck about so you just want to flick a switch and bam!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Don't overdo it. You might not have more than an hour to fuck about so you just want to flick a switch and bam!

Yeah I know, I definitely want to keep shit simple.

• So I'm going on tour for liek 2 months. I want to stay busy with production while I'm out. Does anyone have any tips as to what I should be using, looking to use?

I have a G4 iBook, external HD, a little Dr. Sample 303, an M-Box with Protools, Reason and Abelton Live. That's probably enough to keep me rolling, right?

Maybe an M-Audio Trigger Finger or Roland Micro Kontrol to replace the SP-303. If your concern is sampling records/cd's that you pick up along the way you can record into the mbox. Important what you want to sample into Protools. Slice it how many times you need. You can do the same with Recycle. Then create with Protools as well. Battery and the plugin instruments in Abelton alone are more than enough to incorporate chops as well as soft. instruments. Im not one to talk with a big ol' Mpc 3000 but if I was to be away for a while this would be the ideal setup since I already am using a powermac with PT LE. Oh and a portable HD is a must. Even recording with protools to the local disk slows things down considerably. let me know what you go with.

• All that just for "mash ups"? jeez...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Mash-Ups, yo. Dude you're on point. It's the future.

• -

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    You should just cop an Oxygen 8 (or some other small midi keyboard), and use Reason Ableton (w/ recycle for chopping samples).

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    I say go unplugged - Ukelele, bongos, hacky sack. Record that shit like Vitamin.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Word, I got an Oxygen 8 that I don't even use. Mash-Ups don't call for it.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    alien seems to me you could simplify the settup

personalyl id sell the mbox / protools and the dr sampler

stick with abelton and supplement it with a stereo input like the m-audio mobile pre or any number of equivs...

stay away from the oxygen though.. i dotn know if they have a new one but the version my buddy has SUCKS... for example you dont have 2 of the same type of input anwhere on the thing.. so if you want to pluggin a stero source you have to use one 1/4" and one xlr or some BS or worse a stereo 1/8" .. the jacks are al lfucked up.

get the mikro controller

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    use Reason (w/ recycle for chopping samples).

Taking the time to learn this program is soooo key. Once you have it down, putting stuff together becomes so fast. Also, dudes who claim the sound is too thin don't know how to flip that shit (3.0 anyways).

Troo Dat! These 2 programs together make an unstoppable production setup, although adding T-Racks 24 to the equation (for mastering) is essential IMO.

Though I know it's a great program that gets many recommendations from posters on this board for sample cutting and mash-ups, I was never able to get used to the Ableton Live user interface.

SG

twiddling virtual knobs in reason on a laptop is and i dont mean that in a good way... if you want to feel like yer in the arcade and you want alot of bells and whistles sure but i have to recomend ableton for its stylish german engineering wherein it is OPTIMISED for a laptop screen ie every control is onsceen at a once with no sub menus et al.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    I guess that partially explains my preference for Reason...I do all of my producing on a large-ish desktop system (heh...I suppose I shoulda read the topic's title before posting, eh?)

I can definitely understand the difficulty of viewing and altering Reason's GUI parameters on a small screen, though.

SG

you can also record and sequence, run vsts, vsti's et al in abelton rendering reason redundant.

personally im not a fan of jumping between three prgrams .. when i used to run pro tools i had to run ableton and reason as well.. eventually i realised i could jsut do it all in ableton and simplify the work flow... FOCUS

• -