Is Soulstrut Ageist???

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
Hey,I was skimming the SNL thread (yes, I agree that SNL has sucked over a decade or more), and some poster made disparaging remarks about Steve Martin. These negative remarks were associated with his age also, which I see as irrelevant to the issue. Personally, I'm not sure how age covaries with how funny (or talented) one happens to be. More generally, I see a trend on the 'Strut of people making negative remarks of artists (e.g., Preemo), comedians (in Martin's case), and other posters (Phill, myself, etc.) on the basis of age. There are many artists, comedians, actors, etc. that remain (or remained) effective in their craft into their advanced years. Off top, I think of folks like Walter Matthau (R.I.P.), Stevie Wonder, Jessica Tandy (R.I.P.), Katherine Hepburn (R.I.P.), Eugene Levy, Diane Keaton, Tina Turner, Virginia Capers (R.I.P.), Jack Nicholson, Rolling Stones, Ruby Dee, Shirley MacLaine, etc. Be careful young bucks, for ye too may get old someday. How would you like to be devalued (unfairly) because of it?Peace,Big Stacks from Kakalak

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Hey,

I was skimming the SNL thread (yes, I agree that SNL has sucked over a decade or more), and some poster made disparaging remarks about Steve Martin. These negative remarks were associated with his age also, which I see as irrelevant to the issue. Personally, I'm not sure how age covaries with how funny (or talented) one happens to be. More generally, I see a trend on the 'Strut of people making negative remarks of artists (e.g., Preemo), comedians (in Martin's case), and other posters (Phill, myself, etc.) on the basis of age. There are many artists, comedians, actors, etc. that remain (or remained) effective in their craft into their advanced years. Off top, I think of folks like Walter Matthau (R.I.P.), Stevie Wonder, Jessica Tandy (R.I.P.), Katherine Hepburn (R.I.P.), Eugene Levy, Diane Keaton, Jack Nicholson, Rolling Stones, Ruby Dee, Shirley MacLaine, etc. Be careful young bucks, for ye too may get old someday. How would you like to be devalued (unfairly) because of it?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Age used to be equated with wisdom.

Now that I'm old I appreciate that sentiment.

• respect your elders.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    2006 is my 50th.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    im asian so i cant be ageist

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

As you know, Eastern cultures tend to respect the elderly for their long lives and wisdom. Throwing out old folks is yet another ignorant Western (especially U.S.) phenomenon. We love to warehouse (and ignore) our elders in retirement homes. If you think someone lacks talent, fine, but why must that be associated with age? No one ever articulates why age relates to negative evaluations (of talent). People only make blanket statements denigrating old folks. That's my issue in my original post.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• im asian so i cant be ageist

As you know, Eastern cultures tend to respect the elderly for their long lives and wisdom. Throwing out old folks is yet another ignorant Western (especially U.S.) phenomenon. We love to warehouse (and ignore) our elders in retirement homes.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I always feel torn when I'm with my grandmother, she is really old school and religious and IMO totally offensive (remarks about my dad, who's Jewish, or my girlfriend, who's Filipina)... and i get into these arguments with her but i feel like sometimes I should just sit and take it. On the other hand I try to respect her as an equal and that means not just "yessing" her to death.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

As you know, Eastern cultures tend to respect the elderly for their long lives and wisdom. Throwing out old folks is yet another ignorant Western (especially U.S.) phenomenon. We love to warehouse (and ignore) our elders in retirement homes.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Who here have thought about the day they would move their parents in with them? We are trying to talk my inlaws into moving out west so we can care for them more. My mom is in AZ, my inlaws are in MD, neither is willing to move to OR. Some we have to contemplate if we would ever be willing to move to where they are. (NO!)

Continuing on the theme. Would you be to give your parents 24 hour care when that day comes? At 49, with parents in their 80s, I think about these things.

Dan

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    If you think someone lacks talent, fine, but why must that be associated with age? No one ever articulates why age relates to negative evaluations (of talent). People only make blanket statements denigrating old folks. That's my issue in my original post.
    I think it's pretty simple. People usually fall the fuck off in various ways when as they get older and when criticizing someone, it's very easy to either blame everything on their age or just add it on as an extra thing.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I was called old recently in the "post a vintage car" thread. Young cats are sometimes overeager to prove themselves. It can be a healthy form of competition, to a degree.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Continuing on the theme. Would you be to give your parents 24 hour care when that day comes? At 49, with parents in their 80s, I think about these things.
    I live at home with my parents and my grandma also lives with us. She is 94 years old and bedridden. My dad works from home and they still had to hire a housekeeper to help out with things because it's not possible for a single person to take care of all that stuff. Witnessing this firsthand, I don't know if I could do it and what happens with my job and all that stuff? It's a scary thing to think of.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I always feel torn when I'm with my grandmother, she is really old school and religious and IMO totally offensive (remarks about my dad, who's Jewish, or my girlfriend, who's Filipina)... and i get into these arguments with her but i feel like sometimes I should just sit and take it. On the other hand I try to respect her as an equal and that means not just "yessing" her to death.

Hi, JP,

I was in a simliar situation myself. Everytime my grandmother would make a remark along those lines (about a girl I was seeing or my friends) I'd respond with "Bubbie, why don't you love me? Why don't you want me to be happy?" Then she would say "Stop it you Pisher. I'm the one who's supposed to make you feel guilty. Not the oter way around."

Then we would eat poppy seed hamentashen & that was the end of it.

peace

h

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• I turned 32 this week.
    Fuck around, and hate on a dood.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Who here have thought about the day they would move their parents in with them? We are trying to talk my inlaws into moving out west so we can care for them more. My mom is in AZ, my inlaws are in MD, neither is willing to move to OR. Some we have to contemplate if we would ever be willing to move to where they are. (NO!)

Dan

Great questions, Dan!!!! Yes, my wife and I (and our parents) have discussed these questions. Admittedly, it would be difficult with my mother given her life-long controlling, judgmental, dogmatic nature. She would try to run my household. Surprisingly, mom admits this would be a disastrous arrangement. T***'s mom or my dad would be easier to have live with us given their easygoing natures. If the parents were still relatively functional, all parties would prefer for them to live independently (in their own home, not a rest home) but provide (if nearby; we'd have to relocate) or pay for the provision of in-home care. My brother lives just an hour from my folks (in Raleigh, NC), so he'd be in a better position to provide such care. If the folks were incapacitated, either we (or my brother's family) would move them in and care for them full-time.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    I was called old recently in the "post a vintage car" thread. Young cats are sometimes overeager to prove themselves. It can be a healthy form of competition, to a degree.

Dude, don't flatter yourself. I was including myself when I said that if you think the 80s wasn't a long time ago then you're old. You didn't get my EPMD reference? That just makes you slow Me, I'm timeless... I don't own a watch. boom.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I was the original poster Stacks is talking about. When I said steve martin is old and shitty, i meant old like a joke gets old. And I meant shitty like he hasnt done anything good in a long time.

peace.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Off top, I think of folks like Walter Matthau (R.I.P.), Stevie Wonder, Jessica Tandy (R.I.P.), Katherine Hepburn (R.I.P.), Eugene Levy, Diane Keaton, Tina Turner, Virginia Capers (R.I.P.), Jack Nicholson, Rolling Stones, Ruby Dee, Shirley MacLaine, etc.

Pretty much all of those people fell off with advanced age (the ones that were worth a schitt to begin with).

I mean, the Rolling Stones??? Dudes are straight embarassing.

You're not doing much for your argument with those examples.

Is SoulStrut ageist?

Well, it's fundamentally a hip-hop board. People on here are into a lot of different things, but I think for most of them, hip-hop was the starting point and, to an extent, remians the prism through which they understand a lot of these other musics.

And hip-hop is a youth music, so ageism is hardly unexpected. I don't see anything particularly wrong with it in this context.

• Is SoulStrut ageist?

Well, it's fundamentally a hip-hop board. People on here are into a lot of different things, but I think for most of them, hip-hop was the starting point and, to an extent, remians the prism through which they understand a lot of these other musics.

And hip-hop is a youth music, so ageism is hardly unexpected. I don't see anything particularly wrong with it in this context.

Does this mean that your rampant hating will eventually expire? Finally, a reason to tough it out a few more years!!!

Herm

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I'm pretty sure I'm younger than everyone who posted in this thread so far so I'm better than all of you. Discuss.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Dan

I'm very lucky in this respect.......I'm 48 but my parents who are in their early 70's are more active as far as travelling and having a social life than I am. My grandparents, who are in their 90's, are still independent and live alone, far from most of their relatives. My grandfather on my mother's side lived to 98, rode a stationary bike 5 miles a day up until the day he died, lived alone and refused anyone's help to the point of throwing away any food stamps that he was sent and entitled to. My family is filled with stubborn, independent folks who have been blessed with having a sound mind and body way into old age.

There is no question that if faced with this dilemna I would open my home and wallet to my folks.....but at this point I'm pretty sure they'd tell me to shove it up my ass!!.

I can respect my elders for their contributions to things in their time and stuff, but im not rushing out to buy their new album, or see their terrible new movies either.

People tend to do the best stuff when they are young though. Probably because when they get older they are focussed on more important things like raising a family. Something which is more commendable in my opinion than putting out another banging album anyways.

Bob Dylan is still cool though.

I can respect my elders for their contributions to things in their time and stuff, but im not rushing out to buy their new album, or see their terrible new movies either.

How about to cosign their elaborate and contrived deliniations of real schitt/fake schitt?

I'm pretty sure I'm younger than everyone who posted in this thread so far so I'm better than all of you. Discuss.

All depends on how much longer you're living with Mom & Dad.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

Shiit, I'm not moving out until I get a real job. Rent is expensive in Hawaii and I'm trying to delay that as long as possible. I have no shame in this at all.

• FSNSFSNS 163 Posts
    Well, it's fundamentally a hip-hop board.

Shiit, I'm not moving out until I get a real job. Rent is expensive in Hawaii and I'm trying to delay that as long as possible. I have no shame in this at all.

You forgot to put that in the Reynaldo font...

No shame intended...I'm just thinking that before you can be "better than all of us" you should have a job and be out living on your own.....my tongue was just as deep in my cheek as yours was.

• I'm pretty sure I'm younger than everyone who posted in this thread so far so I'm better than all of you. Discuss.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

You forgot to put that in the Reynaldo font...
    My parents stopped giving me money when I was in middle school. Don't compare me to him