Curtis Hairston???

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
I heard his "Shining Star" single during the GrwnNSxy hours on the radio. I've done my own research on this cat. Anybody have more personal critiques on his output.He was on Earl"JESUS" Monroe's record label for a minute. Critique Pleez?

Comments

• He was also lead singer for the BB&Q Band, on Pretty pearl records.

• Also known for "Summertime", great version of the High Frequency/Leroy Burgess tune.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Also known for "Summertime", great version of the High Frequency/Leroy Burgess tune.

I need this. it's

yr lucky my computer froze up on the 'confirm bid' screen - it might have cost you an extra 20 bucks or something

---

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    He was also lead singer for the BB&Q Band, on Pretty pearl records.

Yeah, but not one the album that has the radio hit. "On The Beat". Luther Vandross on background vocals.

I think he joined later.

• Also known for "Summertime", great version of the High Frequency/Leroy Burgess tune.

I need this. it's

yr lucky my computer froze up on the 'confirm bid' screen - it might have cost you an extra 20 bucks or something

---

I thank the computer gods, and your impaired trigger finger, for their assistance.
    I deserve a (relative) bargain now & then, tho. You lucky ducks got raers out your ears out there in the D.

• wouldn't you be tripping over copies in nyc already?

i think there is a fair share of those in ny still.

• wouldn't you be tripping over copies in nyc already?

i think there is a fair share of those in ny still.

True. (My friend copped one off the street last fall for train fare.)
    But I don't get out in the field as much as I used to & this Pretty Pearl had proven pretty elusive to me.
    (Thanks again for the 45, btw, A***.)

• discomuseum.com:

"Curtis Kinnard Hairston of 818 Woodcote St. was born on Tuesday, October 10, 1961 to the late Clarence L. Hairston, Sr. and Shirley Crutchfield Hairston Holloway in Winston-Salem. His early public education was in the Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools, and he furthered his education at Winston-Salem State University. He furthered his musical training at Juliard School of Music in New York. While attending WSSU his freshman year, he won the "Mr. Ram" contest.
    Curtis was a professional vocalist, recording for Pretty Pearl Productions, Atlantic Records, and the lead vocalist for the B.B. and Q. Band. He returned home from New York after his health began to deteriorate. Curtis accepted Christ at the age of six and remained active even through his poor health. He started singing in First Baptist Church at the age of three and was actively involved in the Tot's Choir, Children's Choir, and was an active member of the Spiritual Choir.'s
    Curtis' first brush with fame came with session work in New York. Through his friendship with Luther Vandross and his unique voice he released his first singles on Pretty Pearl Productions, a record company run by basketball great Earl "The Pearl" Monroe. Three singles on Pretty Pearl were released. "I Want You (All Night)," "I Want Your Lovin'," and "We Are All One." He next struck dance floors as part of the Brooklyn, Bronx and Queens Band. Appearing on their fourth album release 1985's "Genie." It was Hairston's vocals that gave the album it's spark. The group however was on it's last legs having lost co-founders Malavasi and then Petrus. Curtis found offers pouring in for a solo contract and he signed with Atlantic Records.
    On Atlantic Records he found his greatest success. "Let's Make Love Tonight" released in early 1986 brought him international fame. He followed with "Chillin' Out" ('86) and "The Morning After" ('87). A self-titled album followed as did his final single "(You're My) Shining Star."
    In 1991, a lifelong diabetic, Curtis' kidney's began failing and he returned home to North Carolina for dialysis treatment. Two weeks before his death he stood before his congregation at church to sing. D'Walla Burke, the choir director at Winston-Salem State University, was in attendance to hear Hairston sing "Amazing Grace." "It was beautiful," she said. "Even when he was seriously ill, we had an agreement that whenever he came to church, if he felt like singing, we would let him sing," Burke said. "Curtis was a very lovable, warm and sharing person, and those qualities came out in his singing." "Even when he was so sick, he had a way of making a connection of love, peace and harmony with everyone he met. He could make those doctors and nurses smile and laugh when things were getting too serious." She fell silent. "His voice was a gift from God, and he spent his life excelling with that gift." Our hats off to yet another talent gone too soon......."

• i want you (all tonight) 12" comes highly recommended - it's easy to find too.

• Options
    I'll second that. Sick 12".

K.