Any super synth nerds in here?

silvertonesilvertone 765 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
I need help...posted from another forum. I borrowed an A100 off a friend a month ago, and quickly fell in love with the potential of the unit. I am not a synth head by any stretch of the imagination, more working with processed samples, but have already found some incredible applications for this system to my music. In the last couple of weeks I bought two A100 frames in order to build a 'processing filter mixer' for live sets (using my MPC4000 as my main instrument, with multi outs being sent through dedicated Doepfer filters for specific sounds/ranges???syncd via A-190 Midi Box and A-155 Analog Sequencer)??? This processing box sounds awesome, and I think it will be a lot of fun to use in my live sets. I have basically decided to build something similar to the short-lived Sherman Filter-mixer, but with much more power behind it. 4ins, 4 outs, Morph filters, step sequenced with the Analog sequencer??? It is already sounding quite evil. My current setup(4) A-119s (Dedicated Analog Inputs from MPC outputs)(4) ADSRs (for synth and filter applications) 190 Midi Sync Unit155 Analog Sequncer107 Morph Filter(2) 121 Multimode Filters108 VCF102 VCF+ the usual suspect synth modules (VCOs LFOs Etc.) Up until now I have been using the Analog Sequencer to send CV pulses to different filters, clocked via the MPC using CV gates, programming a note on every 16th at the MPC???. I know there is a much better way to to this, but I cant get the 190 to respond to Midi Clock. Is there a specific Midi note/channel for Midi Sync operation or is there perhaps a defect with my unit??? (I normally have no problem just setting my MPC to transmit Midi Clock on Channel 1, port 1, but for some reason the 190 isn???t picking up this info??? do I need to set the preferences on the 190 unit somewhere to accept Midi Clock Info?) Ideally I would like to be able to use the 190 to send Midi Clock data info to the 155 Sequencer, while sending simultaneous note information to the Oscillators, for use of my A-100s as both a Synth and a Processing Mixer with a Sync???d clock on both uses, programming midi tracks in advance on the mutable-in-live-play MPC. Someone must know what is up here. I don't.

Comments

• do I need to set the preferences on the 190 unit somewhere to accept Midi Clock Info?)

this is probably what you need to do. check first with another synth module to see if the mpc is sending midi clock data correctly, and then read the 190 manual over and over and see if you're doing something wrong. alternatively, maybe the 190 receives midi time code as well and you could see if that works? if none of this works, send it back to doepfer and i'm sure they'll be happy to check it out for you. they're usually really good with customer service, as their customers form a (generally) tightly knit group of synth enthusiasts, and even one bad customer service story could taint their reputation.

on a side note, the new doepfer modules shown off at NAMM are totally

bucket brigade analog delay that accepts clock input. and apparently dude is working on a bitcrusher module.

• on a side note, the new doepfer modules shown off at NAMM are totally

bucket brigade analog delay that accepts clock input. and apparently dude is working on a bitcrusher module.
    Fucking crazy. I heard the BB module is supposed to be nuts, and that there is already like 3 month backorder. Anyways, I'm gonna keep trying to get this bumping. I need to have this in effect soon.

• Got it sorted.
    MPC4000 has a Sync Sequence feature in the main window that I didnt have armed (I am still learning all the dope stuff within the 4K) Dope feature for sure!! All working lovely!

• All working lovely, except for the timing of the sequncer... is there a way to divide the midi pulses by two or four? right now, when I have something running at 80 bpm it seems like the clock is going at about 160... too quick for stepped filters and whatnot, especially controlling the Morph Filter.

Who is dude?

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    All working lovely, except for the timing of the sequncer... is there a way to divide the midi pulses by two or four? right now, when I have something running at 80 bpm it seems like the clock is going at about 160... too quick for stepped filters and whatnot, especially controlling the Morph Filter.

Who is dude?

I use my sequencer (Yamaha QY700) to send midi pulses to my digital effects units. I've found that I need to set the note value as well as the tempo in order to get it to transmit correct. For example, when I set stuff at 90BPM, I need to set the note value to quarter notes, otherwise I get them crazy fast d'n'b 180BPM ping pong delays.

I don't know if this is your problem, but it sounds similar.

I just brewed coffee, I'll be working all night. (Page me)

• Right. This is how I was doing it before. Basically programming a blank note to 16ths, and then taking that Gate into the Sequncer. Worked lovely.. problem is, I need it to not have note info, can just time code, because I want to program synth pitch data for some modules, which is a bitch if you have c#3 every 16th note. Arrrgh.

I almost got it sorted.
    Timecode is sending to clock.
    Clock reads code.
    Reset resets Sequencer when stop is hit on MPC.
    Note data corresponds correctly on separate midi track.
    Just that the midi time code seems like it is dividing by 96ppts instead of notes... which is making the sequncer divide up into very weird and fast numbers.

• Just that the midi time code seems like it is dividing by 96ppts instead of notes... which is making the sequncer divide up into very weird and fast numbers.

act like this is completely intentional and i guarantee you schematic records will want to release it.

• Just that the midi time code seems like it is dividing by 96ppts instead of notes... which is making the sequncer divide up into very weird and fast numbers.

This is normal, MIDI time clock is 96 ticks per bar:
    http://music.northwestern.edu/links/projects/midi/pages/miditmcn.html

There is a software feature in the A-190 to subdivide the MIDI clock for CV output. Check out page 10 of the A-190 manual.