One of my favorites - what's yours?

DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
I was DJing last night and played ATCQ's 'Award Tour'.Now I must have played/listened to this song at least a thousand times already... but last night I realised how amped this song still gets me. I never tire of hearing it. Tip is nice, Phife is nice, the production, mixing and arrangement are perfect... the drops are well placed, the chorus is great and it's an uplifting track. 99% of people seem to like this track too, yet it is far from pop or commercial.This song forever has a place in my life, memories of good times and good parties. Definitely in my all-time top 10.

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    playing 'wish someone would care' at top volume, hearing the first stabs and her "ooooohhhhhhhh" is something i don't think i will ever tire of

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    sir-mix-a-lot's BEEPERS does that for me...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    BG - Uptown My Home

BG - Uptown My Home

multi-regional bias

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I was DJing last night and played ATCQ's 'Award Tour'.
    Now I must have played/listened to this song at least a thousand times already... but last night I realised how amped this song still gets me. I never tire of hearing it. Tip is nice, Phife is nice, the production, mixing and arrangement are perfect... the drops are well placed, the chorus is great and it's an uplifting track. 99% of people seem to like this track too, yet it is far from pop or commercial.
    This song forever has a place in my life, memories of good times and good parties. Definitely in my all-time top 10.

"You Gots To Chill" has this same effect on me.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Dookie Love by Luke Skywalker

Dookie Love by Luke Skywalker

I seriously wild the fuck out to "Throw the D". (no ayo)

BG - Uptown My Home

multi-regional bias

West Bank My Home would hit the nail even harder.

Whenever BG says "You on the wrong side of the bridge," I always pretend that he's from Marrero like Choppa and saying that.

• i remember when de la soul used a bit of the muppet show theme song in one of their songs and i was like OOOOOHHH SHITTTTTT!! man that was my jam back in the day from them opening barisax hits to the last note when fucken gonzo would hit a flat note or that chicken camilla would like screw his shit up. serious shiggle wiggle times there bros. and ladies.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    i remember when de la soul used a bit of the muppet show theme song in one of their songs and i was like OOOOOHHH SHITTTTTT!! man that was my jam back in the day from them opening barisax hits to the last note when fucken gonzo would hit a flat note or that chicken camilla would like screw his shit up. serious shiggle wiggle times there bros. and ladies.

The song is 'Double Huey Skit'.

• i remember when de la soul used a bit of the muppet show theme song in one of their songs and i was like OOOOOHHH SHITTTTTT!! man that was my jam back in the day from them opening barisax hits to the last note when fucken gonzo would hit a flat note or that chicken camilla would like screw his shit up. serious shiggle wiggle times there bros. and ladies.

The song is 'Double Huey Skit'.

no way man. its called THE MUPPET SHOW THEME SONG!!!!![/b]

BG - Uptown My Home

multi-regional bias

West Bank My Home would hit the nail even harder.

Whenever BG says "You on the wrong side of the bridge," I always pretend that he's from Marrero like Choppa and saying that.

speaking of marrero, who does that song "marrero", been looking for info for the last 2 or 3 weeks.

That and the 1991 or 92 track "bitch get off me"

so desperate right now.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    I was DJing last night and played ATCQ's 'Award Tour'.
    Now I must have played/listened to this song at least a thousand times already... but last night I realised how amped this song still gets me. I never tire of hearing it. Tip is nice, Phife is nice, the production, mixing and arrangement are perfect... the drops are well placed, the chorus is great and it's an uplifting track. 99% of people seem to like this track too, yet it is far from pop or commercial.
    This song forever has a place in my life, memories of good times and good parties. Definitely in my all-time top 10.

There was a time when i was just sick of this track. the drums, the rappin'...but it's true, an undeniable classic, just like to play it again since the last 2 months. i'ma take it with me tonight for my birthdayset. Like to hear that again. all time top 10? yep, kind of, at least as an honorable mention

I'd go for Massive Attack's "Unfinished Sympathy". The Intro, the vibe, the beat is what someone once coined "Music evolution in real time". Def in my atf's... And, as it's my birthday today and the 30 is gettin nearer, I have a right to be sensitive and moody and listen to tracks like these...but only to be followed by "Funky Nassau" which I play almost everytime I rock the tables...that tune just gets you hyped, pumped and all of that and makes you look good...

• I was DJing last night and played ATCQ's 'Award Tour'.

I agree completely about this song. I'd actually never heard ATCQ until I was at Lollapalooza '94 and they opened the show. I was impressed enough by them that within a week I'd gone out and bought Midnight Marauders[/b]. The big booming bottom end of that song totally amps me up, the incessant hit of the drums, the way that snare cracks your skull off, the way those chill Milt Jackson vibes come in... The song is the whole package for me. Of course, that whole album ranks up there as one of my favorite hiphop albums ever.

"You Gots To Chill" has this same effect on me.

cosign. one of those records where you remember where you heard it first. like oc's "times up"....

The big booming bottom end of that song totally amps me up, the incessant hit of the drums, the way that snare cracks your skull off

thank bob powers for that. so responsible....

• I'm gonna keep it native tongues and say "J Beez Comin through" - jungle Brothers

Let's just give it up for the original native tongue movement-so many memories, so many classics!

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    This song is up there for me, never have and don't think i'll ever get tired of it. Award Tour was perfectly, I mean PERFECTYL mixed. With all the samples in it as well as the vocals - everything matched to a T...

Let the hatting begin but another one for me is TROY. It just is - when I think of important moments for me in listening to hip hop this is up there. Pete (Large Pro - who ever) killed that beat and CL's voice caught my attention.

As far as albums, nothing has gotten to me like A Wolf In Sheep's Clothing...
    Mr. Lawng and Dres I think get overlooked as far as one of the BEST ALBUMS ever...

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Stress - Extra P Remix hits me everytime...

peace.

• I'm gonna keep it native tongues and say "J Beez Comin through" - jungle Brothers

Let's just give it up for the original native tongue movement-so many memories, so many classics!

the jungle, the jungle,
    the brothers, the brothers

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    It's hard to find a hip hop song that can be listened to all the way through repeatedly.
    Another one for me is 'The Message' - there's nothing that can improve that song for me.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Man.. I just wrote out a long ass childhood story about when I first heard Sucker MC and had to do something for work, came back to finish it and NO POST Time out shite.. BASTERDS!!

Anyways...

Sucker MC

speaking of marrero, who does that song "marrero", been looking for info for the last 2 or 3 weeks.

That and the 1991 or 92 track "bitch get off me"

so desperate right now.

Faux
    Jdeez
    Archaic
    Terry Clubbup
    Dig Dug
    anyone?!

so desperate right now.

I wish I could help you, but having moved away from the West Bank in '84 I'm not nearly up on NOLA rap I wish I could be.