tip jar for DJ gigs

marumaru 1,450 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
i'm djing a house party in a couple weeks for my roomies birthday, expecting 150+. i'm doing it for free cause she's my friend, but i've heard anout and seen djs putting out tip jars for similar gigs. is it just me or does that seem kinda greedy? i guess if you consider that a bartender that's serving guests gets tips, it shouldn't be any different for a dj that supplies music. does anyone do this or know the ethics behind such practice?

Comments

• slushslush 691 Posts
    get your hottest friend to pass the jar around for you. no corny "BEE GRACIOUS TO THE DJ" signs needed. high payout. little to none of your own involvement.

• i think its a bit off doing it at house party for a friend specially if youre doing it as a favour. i would say payment needs to be sorted out before. i used to do a turntablist night here and sometimes we would get a jar going round but we were having to pay taxis to carry sound system, records, turntable set-ups etc... home otherwise it would have been the bus - no fun

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    does anyone do this or know the ethics behind such practice?

always arrange money upfront...if it is a houseparty for a friend, you should have arranged that before as well. but if you do a good job, you will get girls/propsfromdudes/gigstofollow naturally...so don't worry about the money too much...at least get your traveling expenses compensated....

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    get your hottest friend to pass the jar around for you.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    eh, I'm inclined to say a gig you're doing for free for friends with heavy traffic would be a fine time to use a tip jar

I don't imagine it'd piss anybody off, but you will leave there $5-50 richer which by the end of the night does give some satisfaction...

• get your hottest friend to charge 5 bucks a body shot[/b]

split it with her at the end of the night. you'll make a killing.