Records in Monterey, CA?

motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
My kid will be in a bowling touranment soon down in Monterey. Was wondering if there are any stores to hit while down there? Isn't there a dealer from down there that goes to a lot of the record conventions in the Bay? Is late-40s/early-50s. Has a wife that I think is Russian/Eastern European and a couple kids? Might be dreaming that he's from the area. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I've always found Monterey a little bit sleepy. The Aquarium never really impressed me that much.

Comments

• no. at least last time i went, it was dreadfully sad. you might score one or two things or get lucky on a local record but that about it.

Beautiful place though. Fuck the records.

• i dont know of any shops, but i know there's records down that a way. found some great shit in salinas and i think seaside [?].

• i dont know of any shops, but i know there's records down that a way. found some great shit in salinas and i think seaside [?].

Right, there are two shops in Monterrey proper that in my experience were bad but there are also records that are not in those shops.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    i took a trip there with a lady over new years. hit up a couple shops and antique stores but didn't come up with anything good. i don't remember the stores but they were all on the same street - the one that goes from pacific grove to monterey, i think.

re: the aquariam, don't go there unless you are accompanying a child under 10 years old. its not really a place for adults

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    i dont know of any shops, but i know there's records down that a way. found some great shit in salinas and i think seaside [?].

Word. The record stores in Monterey aren't that great, but the thrifts and antique stores are pretty good. I've never done poorly digging down there--last time, my homie caught a color vinyl 12 of "Frisco Disco" for a buck.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    My kids 7 so we'll probably go.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    you're crazy. the aquarium is rad!

• There are two shops and a Goodwill on Lighthouse Drive(Lighthouse something). It's on the drive between Monterey and Pacific Grove, not hard to find at all. I was there in Dec. and picked up a few nice records. Very hit and miss.

• I used to date a girl from Monterey and found some decent records there over the years mainly in the thrifts. Good jazz. Better digging up in Santa Cruz though.