so this soulseek thing...?

tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
oh...so forgive my lack of knowledge....I've been on LimeWire...1. Can I really find some of the more items on there?2. Is it worth the $39.99 for the lifetime?3. Am I being a totally paranoid clown, or is this a legit site, that won't take the $39.99 from my Paypal account about 1,000 times?4. Am i completely technophobic?? (yes)Thank you for your answers...and for hopefully not tearing me a completely brand new one as a result of my lack of brainbox.....Cheers,Aaron

Comments

• Soulseek is the truth, Limewire is for 13 year old girls.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    i've downloaded a lifetime of raer from soulseek.

limewire is horrible in comparison

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Funny thing.. SoulSeek was fucking crazy wicked 3 years ago. Back then you always got crazy results and everybody was sharing. It was unreal. Now, I find it kinda shitty. I'll come back on once I sort my 300 gigs out a touch. Is there still a strut room?

Even better tho was: Audiogalaxy. Anyone remember how great it was before they got busted? Think realheadz X 1000000

You could seriously type in almost anything and it was there.

• People pay money to Soulseek????

I'm a fan...I can usually find *just* about anything on there.

• Limewire is for 13 year old girls.

careful. that could be seen as a selling point around here.

• oh...so forgive my lack of knowledge....I've been on LimeWire...

1. Can I really find some of the more items on there?

2. Is it worth the $39.99 for the lifetime?

3. Am I being a totally paranoid clown, or is this a legit site, that won't take the $39.99 from my Paypal account about 1,000 times?

4. Am i completely technophobic?? (yes)

Thank you for your answers...and for hopefully not tearing me a completely brand new one as a result of my lack of brainbox.....

Cheers,

Aaron

Youve got the fake soulseek- DO NOT PAY! The real thing can be found here (direct link to the latest version.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    just make sure you're going to the correct soulseek. there was another one trying to use the same name.

I thought paying for slsk was an option.

http://www.slsknet.org/

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Audiogalaxy

Man, I'm teary eyed over here. Audiogalaxy, even the word is beautiful. It even worked at my office! I think I took home like 50 CD-Rs of mp3s. It even let you choose the quality of the mp3 you were downloading....I cry.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I haven't soulseeked in a while (suffering from music overload). But I would recommend donating $$ for privledges.

• just make sure you're going to the correct soulseek. there was another one trying to use the same name.

It is an option, at least it was the last time I used it which was admittedly awhile ago. But if you don't contribute/donate you basically get queued behind anyone that has donated, so it kinda sucks if you don't pay. I think Yousendit and iTunes have kind of killed Soulseek. I can't even remember the last time I fired it up.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    thanks everybody....LimeWire has been great...but doesn't have some of the goodness..

mucho thanks for all the correct info...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Audiogalaxy. Anyone remember how great it was before they got busted? Think realheadz X 1000000

You could seriously type in almost anything and it was there.

co-sign. When it went down I almost cried. I don't remember who put me on to it, but I must have gotten at least 80 - 100 gigs offa Audiogalaxy. I wish I had Serato back then.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    just make sure you're going to the correct soulseek. there was another one trying to use the same name.

is this also the correct site for Mac users like me?

• Back in the day SoulSeek kicked all kinds of ass. I could find anything I wanted there fairly easily. It's worth throwing $5 to them for privileged access for a month because you really do find more. However, their search began to suck sometime about a year ago and it seemed like search returns decreased significantly. Anymore it seems like I look for stuff on there and it's hard to come by, especially as compared to the old days. I actually did things in reverse and just installed Limewire within the past month because I got tired of not being able to find common stuff on Soulseek. SoulSeek seems to be pretty good about finding rarer stuff though like obscure funk, bootlegs, things like that, it's just not as good as it used to be for whatever reason.

• Back in the day SoulSeek kicked all kinds of ass. I could find anything I wanted there fairly easily. It's worth throwing $5 to them for privileged access for a month because you really do find more. However, their search began to suck sometime about a year ago and it seemed like search returns decreased significantly. Anymore it seems like I look for stuff on there and it's hard to come by, especially as compared to the old days. I actually did things in reverse and just installed Limewire within the past month because I got tired of not being able to find common stuff on Soulseek. SoulSeek seems to be pretty good about finding rarer stuff though like obscure funk, bootlegs, things like that, it's just not as good as it used to be for whatever reason.

Priviledges only apply to download queue positions though right?

They dont govern the number of returns from a search do they?

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i had ssx for mac osx and i wasnt able to donwload a single file .. not one.. not only could i never find shit any time i would it would never step out of the damn que...

don't get yer hopes up A$

maybe paying helps.

• Priviledges only apply to download queue positions though right?

They dont govern the number of returns from a search do they?

Well, they help you out both ways... Yes, they jump you to the front of a download queue for files, but I've found that paying does indeed increase the search results. They mention as much in the info somewhere on their website. Everytime I've paid I've noticed a huge increase in the number of hits my searches make.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Back in the day SoulSeek kicked all kinds of ass. I could find anything I wanted there fairly easily.

It still kicks all kind of ass, and you can find alot of music fairly easy. They have changed the way the search function works, and it doesnt work for the better. The userlist searches are infinitely better then the search everybody using soulseek. They're faster, and more specific. your cutting down your search from about 50,000 people 2 who might have what your looking for. To about 200 people who probably have what your looking for. In fact, now I can find more then I could before. This is how come they encourage wantlists, and likes and dislikes. The more people who realize this. The more chances you'll have in getting what you want.

i had ssx for mac osx and i wasnt able to donwload a single file .. not one.. not only could i never find shit any time i would it would never step out of the damn que...

Well Soulseek is not a mainstream search engine. If you're looking for 50 cent try bearshare or limewire. Also, if your using a beta of the latest software. You're not completly connected to all the other users. You need to use an official release.

Between torrent sites, and soulseek there shouldn't be any problems with getting free music. The glory days of audiogalaxy and napster are gone.

- spidey

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,895 Posts
    AudioGalaxy... "Those were the days my friend..."

Yeah, I've been on slsk since AG died and I think it's getting better and better with respect to getting more raerness. I pay for privs, but I find the best way to get stuff I don't have is to search for an artist I'm into generally, without a specific song, then find someone who has shedloads of this artist, then browse their files to see what they have. Chances are they will have what you want or what you didn't know you needed!

• slavinslavin 577 Posts

don't get yer hopes up A$

maybe paying helps.

odd. i am just the opposite. i'm able to get more stuff on my mac than i did on my pc edition of slsk (without paying for either )

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    It should also be noted, if you don't have your ports set properly. You aint getting jack.

- spidey

• It should also be noted, if you don't have your ports set properly. You aint getting jack.

- spidey

Dood, PM me yr username f'reals!

• I find the best way to get stuff I don't have is to search for an artist I'm into generally, without a specific song, then find someone who has shedloads of this artist, then browse their files to see what they have. Chances are they will have what you want or what you didn't know you needed!

absolutely true. There is nothing better than finding someone with some great stuff and a super fast download rate. I keep all my favorite soulseek users in a list that I check every once in a while.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    audiogalaxy was indeed the shit. i remember back when the bollywood craze just started... i found an INSANE cover of mission impossible (had some other name tho, so i guess a rip-off would be a better word than cover) by kayaljandi and anakagjsksga.* i have yet to find that track again.

*reservation for spaelling misaekz

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

were you behind a router or a firewall, those two can prevent slsk from functioning. You need to open your ports, look into preferences of ssx to find what your ports are (2234-2240 default). This is basically called "port forwarding".

slsk search results increase if you have more friends added to your list, or you're in more chatrooms.

audiogalaxy was great for singles, but slsk is much better for albums. Unfortunately for mac users, after audiogalaxy went down there was a span of 1.5yrs where we had no alternative but limewire/acquisition.

Now we have solarseek and ssx, with the latter being the best choice.

In regards to the fake soulseek site, what happened was soulseek forgot to renew their url, then a next dude bought it up and now runs that scam site. Essentially a stolen url.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I haven't soulseeked in a while (suffering from music overload).

I used to be a real slsk addict. But you do get to overload point.

It seems to devalue the music in some ways to. You just have so much of it, you can't really take the time to appreciate it. And because it has no physical value, like an lp, or even a cd, it becomes kinda worthless.
    It does make me wonder where the music industry is going to end up.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    audiogalaxy was indeed the shit. i remember back when the bollywood craze just started... i found an INSANE cover of mission impossible (had some other name tho, so i guess a rip-off would be a better word than cover) by kayaljandi and anakagjsksga.* i have yet to find that track again.

*reservation for spaelling misaekz

i have heard and am looking for this same track.

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    U dont have to pay for privelages to jump the que's. If your sharing u can ask the user if they can add u onto their user list & then anything u download from them will start straight away.

Searches have gone downhill recently but u can always add items to a wishlist & it will search for these automatically every once in a while. This isnt a great feature either but it does turn up some things that didnt turn up in the original search....sometimes.

I find once u have a list of good users that u know have a alot of good stuff u can just search under the userlist & this sometimes turns up items aswell.

Post up your usernames or your all soft!

Mines either Zom-B or LesterMolester but ive jus formatted so ive not set it back up yet. When i do get back on i'll have alot of ost's & library stuff 2 share.