what is 'northern soul'

EpicEpic 17 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
So I was under the assumption that ???northern soul??? comes from the north (ohio, Chicago, NY, etc). And I find out it???s not so much a geographical thing as opposed to a specific sound? Just wondering if someone could explain that a little bit. I know there???s a lotta deep vets on here scoffin now, but.., well, how you gonna know, ???less you ask.

Comments

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    we just had an allnighter here last weekend....

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Limeys, dude.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    can't certain questions be an automatic ban on here? we could weed this place out real quick like.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    That would be no fun.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    So I was under the assumption that ???northern soul??? comes from the north (ohio, Chicago, NY, etc). And I find out it???s not so much a geographical thing as opposed to a specific sound? Just wondering if someone could explain that a little bit. I know there???s a lotta deep vets on here scoffin now, but.., well, how you gonna know, ???less you ask.

= played in clubs in northern england

like "deep groove", a nonsensical english term, "discovering" a music that was already there,,,

• Options
    Expensive.

Check the Keb interview that's around the web.

K.

• EpicEpic 17 Posts
    can't certain questions be an automatic ban on here? we could weed this place out real quick like.

yup, like i said. scoffin. everyone starts. you could also ask the question of can you ban pointless responses?

actual responses trully apprechiated!

• can't certain questions be an automatic ban on here? we could weed this place out real quick like.

welcome to soulsnob.com. We only have multiple 6 page threads of bullshit. God forbit someone asks an honest question not about race, thongs, or southern hip hop.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    We need a "take that shit to wikipedia.org" graemlin.

Here you go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_soul

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

yup, like i said. scoffin. everyone starts. you could also ask the question of can you ban pointless responses?

Drink and 40, get laid and then call Miss Shingaling and ask her to explain the "Northern Soul" genre.

• Options

Not a great salesman.

K in Canada.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    How about doing some research. Try allmusic.com.

im just all aggro after reading the courier vs bike shit.. you seen that K ?? kensington market throw down..

and if you cant school newbies on message boards i dont wanna play no more

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    you could also ask the question of can you ban pointless responses?

Ziiiinnnnnng.

Peace

• EpicEpic 17 Posts
    yo, peace to all. music is music. i like it and clearly so do you people. sharin the wealth is apprechiated for real.

• EpicEpic 17 Posts
    yo peace to all. i like music. you all clearly do too. sharin ur wealth is apprechiated for real. blessings.

• i like the slight variation on a theme there.

APPRECHIATE BATCHES!!!!![/b]

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    We need a "take that shit to wikipedia.org" graemlin.

Here you go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_soul

SG

• Options
    im just all aggro after reading the courier vs bike shit.. you seen that K ?? kensington market throw down..

and if you cant school newbies on message boards i dont wanna play no more

No, what' it about. I'm not a big TV guy, so i haven't seen the news in about a month.

K.

k there's a thread on the front page... pics need to be seen to be believed.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts

SG
    Awesome! (adds to personal collection)..

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I have a family friend who was one of the original 'northern soul' DJs from Manchester in the 60s and he'd never heard the term before. It's just soul to him. It's basically an eBay term and yes, it has nothing to do with where the records are from, but rather where they were played.

I'm trying to buy his collection, but he's a bit stingy. He's been auctioning off his memorabilia for mad dough from his days as the sound manager for the Byrds, Mahavishnu, Fleetwood Mac and Steely Dan. Funny British guy with serious mutton chops

DJ Ferrari

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    wait,

you couldn't google this? seriously.....? you had to ask here? while we're at it, whats New Jack Swing? Big Band? and best of all Fusion???

Not trying to be a dick but there's tons of info on this... Just do yo' homework son...

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts

Not trying to be a dick but there's tons of info on this... Just do yo' homework son...

• Perhaps it was a question that coulda been self-researched, no one would really argue that point. But perhaps also people feel like they have joined a "community" and wanted to take advantage of that fact and get real, fleshed-out descriptions from people who might be even more expert on the topic than the cat who wrote the wikipedia description.

It takes a special type of ag individual to a) get upset that someone would "dare" to post such a basic question and b) type a cynical response to the question asker. Just seems like unnecesary negative energy. "Man, that lil' dude is so lil' dude, I sure showed him."

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts

Perhaps it was a question that coulda been self-researched, no one would really argue that point. But perhaps also people feel like they have joined a "community" and wanted to take advantage of that fact and get real, fleshed-out descriptions from people who might be even more expert on the topic than the cat who wrote the wikipedia description.

It takes a special type of ag individual to a) get upset that someone would "dare" to post such a basic question and b) type a cynical response to the question asker. Just seems like unnecesary negative energy. "Man, that lil' dude is so lil' dude, I sure showed him."

Co-sign.

If people can't ask about music in this forum, what should they ask?

Peace

• I have a family friend who was one of the original 'northern soul' DJs from Manchester in the 60s and he'd never heard the term before. It's just soul to him. It's basically an eBay term and yes, it has nothing to do with where the records are from, but rather where they were played.

I'm trying to buy his collection, but he's a bit stingy. He's been auctioning off his memorabilia for mad dough from his days as the sound manager for the Byrds, Mahavishnu, Fleetwood Mac and Steely Dan. Funny British guy with serious mutton chops

DJ Ferrari

Northern Soul is not just an ebay term. Hell, I'd heard the term before ebay even existed and I was a no-nothing living in a po-dunk town in upstate New York. I'm not sure when the term "northern soul" was coined exactly but certainly decades ago.

• can't certain questions be an automatic ban on here? we could weed this place out real quick like.

Drink and 40, get laid and then call Miss Shingaling and ask her to explain the "Northern Soul" genre.

In that order?

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I have a family friend who was one of the original 'northern soul' DJs from Manchester in the 60s and he'd never heard the term before. It's just soul to him. It's basically an eBay term and yes, it has nothing to do with where the records are from, but rather where they were played.

DJ Ferrari

Northern Soul is not just an ebay term. Hell, I'd heard the term before ebay even existed and I was a no-nothing living in a po-dunk town in upstate New York. I'm not sure when the term "northern soul" was coined exactly but certainly decades ago.

True... it didn't start as an eBay term, I was just commenting on what it's become. Not sure when it started, but I think it was more of a scene thing than a record thing. Hence the true meaning of the term.

DJ Ferrari

northern soul has nothing to do with ebay terms.. i swear some people.. they think nobody called a record northern soul, modern soul or italo until ebay stumbled along.. they've been calling that shit northern soul since the early 70's... dude may have been one of the original northern soul dj's but he musta been pretty out of it to have never heard the term.

from wiki "The phrase 'Northern Soul' was coined by journalist Dave Godin sometime around 1971 when writing his column in Blues and Soul magazine."