REAL WORLD MOVES(My new studio related)

meshmesh 925 Posts
edited February 2006 in Announcements
I dropped a couple of pics in the big things in '06 thread, but this is the official announcement. I have recently opened the doors to my new studio, MDF Studio. Check the pics: I am excited as hell to be in this position(partner, 1/3 owner, head engineer). I feel very blessed and have very high expectations for this year. We have been working on a variety of projects already including custom scoring and sound design for some corporate videos, songwriting demos for publishing deals, local future rap stars mixtapes, as well as mixing and mastering projects from some of our own including the Impallaville mixtape by Jonny Paycheck and some soon to be released mixes and 12's by other prominent members of the board.(I am gonna keep those under wraps for now until they are officially released).One of the things we do is write and liscence our own music, but we are also trying to build a library of other peoples music to liscence. This could be a lucrative opportunity for some of you all out there who write original music(sample based stuff is a nightmare for this). If you have your stuff copywritten, feel free to send us a demo of some of your stuff and we may be able to sell it for you. We will send you a contract which basically says you allow us to shop your music for you, and the deals will be made based on budget of particular projects. Either way, its a win win for you guys. If you are interested in that aspect of our business, feel free to contact me via PM, email (joe@mdfstudio.com), or just drop a cd in the mail and send it:MDF Studioc/o Joe Davenport104 B N. 19th StreetRichmond, VA23223If you wanna get at me about mixing or mastering your project, feel free to use the above contact info. I offer very reasonable rates, especially for the soulstrut fam. Also, for those interested, I can type up a gear list as well. We have four different peoples gear up here forming a nice pair of racks to work with including high quality converters, preamps, compressors, and summing mixers. If you are in the area and would like to track here, we have a great mic closet as well. And as you can see, a big ol room to track drums in or just get a nice natural reverb on a vocal. Also, be on the look out for the website launch. Our very own Asprin(who did the logo as well) is creating a masterpiece for me as we speak. To kick things off I am having an impromtu party tomorrow night. If you are in Richmond, or DC, or wherever, feel free to come by for some cheap canned beer and some dancing(bring a bag of wax if you want). Hit me up for directions. I am gearing up for a fantastic year, and I hope to work with many of you in the future! Thanks for reading my post and wish me luck!-Joe D aka Mixmaster Mesh

Comments

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Mixmaster Mesh,

Congratulations! Wonderful work. What a great enterprise, be proud. The place looks great, I can't wait to see it in person. How many square feet is that main room? Damn. Are those record shelves?

To anyone contemplating a project with Joe and MDF, I would wholeheartedly endorse their services. Great ears, great attitude, great product.

Just one thing:

The input volume on your S3000 is at 9, while the output volume is 0. That's gonna sound janky, mang!?

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

God damn, man. That's been a dream of mines to have a set-up half as decent as that.

Cheers!!

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    nice floors! seriously. the whole setup is bangin but the hardwood brings it all together.

congrats.

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    so sick.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Congrats on this major real world move hommie. I'm very happy for you and your parterns. Big things in the 06 indeed.

• To anyone contemplating a project with Joe and MDF, I would wholeheartedly endorse their services. Great ears, great attitude, great product.

I wholeheartedly cosign this statement.

That's gonna sound janky, mang!?

Not if mesh has anything to do with it!

• hardwood floors make your cypher complete. so fresh.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    shit looks dope as fuck man. now we need a gear list!~!!

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    so sick.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Awesome... make sure you advertise on this site when you get Big Will.

• Check Your PM's b/w That studio is so grown.

• meshmesh 925 Posts

Just one thing:

The input volume on your S3000 is at 9, while the output volume is 0. That's gonna sound janky, mang!?

hahaa, that is kinda isnt it. i havent cranked that thing up in a while, so i have to plead ignorance to why that is set like that. maybe to ensure no feedback when sampling the last time? dunno. you got me.

hey thanks for everyones support. i feel very fortunate right about now. just gotta keep the ball rolling.

the floors do look nice, but they can be a bitch when it comes to recording. but thats what carpets for i guess. same with the windows, look nice, but the construction next door doesnt sound the greatest mixed into a soloist with an acoustic guitar. oh well, thats what the night is for.

we honestly didnt put a ton of money into the construction of the place because we figured you either speand a quarter million and get that top of the line shit, or you go as low budget as possible and acheive about 85% what you could the more expensive way. that foam was about a third of what "real" acoustic panels cost, probably less than that. we saved a few thousand dollars just getting that.

anyways, i digress.

thanks again, and a reminder. if you are near RVA, holla at me about the party tonight, should be fun! I will try and take some pics or something.

peace!

• Way to go man! It seriously looks next level in there. And yeah those floors are key.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    now we need a gear list!~!!

you asked, here you go. this is from our isnuranc elist so excuse th eobvious descriptions of some of the items.:

Apple G5 dual 2.0 Ghz, 2 Gb RAM (Computer)
    2x Samsung Syncmaster 712n (comp. Monitors)
    2x Dynaudio BM6A (studio ref. Monitors)
    M-Audio LX5 w/ sub (speakers)
    Apogee Rosetta 800 (digital converter)
    Universal Audio 8110 (mic preamps)
    Nightpro PreQ3 (mic preamp)
    Brent Averill 1272 (mic preamp)
    SPL Mixdream XP (summing mixer)
    Avalon vt747sp (compressor)
    Empirical Labs Fatso (compressor)
    Digidesign 002r (soundcard)
    Akai MPC2000xl w/ 8outs, 32mb ram, zip(sampler)
    Akai S3000xl (sampler)
    2x MOTU MTP/AV (MIDI interface)
    Roland Fantom XR (synthesizer)
    Korg MS2000r (synthesizer)
    Yamaha Motif61 (synthesizer)
    Roland JD990 (synthesizer)
    DBX 120XP (synthesizer)
    Roland RE150 Space Echo (delay unit)
    TC Electronics 2290 (delay unit)
    Yamaha SPX1000 (multi effects)
    Eventide H3500 (effects unit)
    DeltaLab Effectron (effects unit)
    Mutronics Mutator (filter)
    Pearl Export (drum kit)
    Slingerland (drum kit)
    Sojin (piano)
    Fender Deluxe G7 (guitar amp)
    Marshall Acoustic Soloist (guitar amp)
    Guild Acoustic (guitar)
    Washburn Acoustic (guitar)
    Santa Cruz custom Acoustic (guitar)
    Takamine Nylon (guitar)
    2x Fender Squier (bass guitars)
    Hamer Electric (guitar)
    Fender Telecaster & Stratocaster (guitars)
    Carruthers Stand Up (bass guitar)
    2x C1-76 (custom, handmade microphones)
    Neumann TLM103 (microphone)
    3 Sennheiser MD421 (mics)
    4 Shure SM81 (mics)
    5 Shure SM57 (mics)
    2 Shure SM58 (mics)
    AKG D112 (mic)
    QSC RMX2450 (power amp)
    SWR 350 (amp)
    Yamaha S115IV (speakers)
    EV Eliminators (speakers)
    GenzBenz (speaker)
    Mackie 1642 (mixer)
    Yamaha MG10/2
    Mackie Big Knob (monitor controller)
    Various cabling, patchbays and microphone stands

• damn. i'm jealous.

congrats playa.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Mesh is THAT DUDE. He mastered some records for me and is an all around good dude.

Needless to say...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    YO MAN THATS A DOPE STUDIO SET UP. I'M GONNA BE WORKING ON MINE THIS SUMMER TO BEEF UP THAT WALLS AND BUILD A NEW SOUND BOOTH. ANYHOW I WAS INTERESTED IN THE SHOPPING OF ORIGINAL MUSIC. EVEN THO I USE SAMPLES ALOT I STILL HAVE ORIGINAL MUSIC AS WELL. I'LL HAVE TO PM YOU BRO. KEEP IT MOVIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CARLOS

www.THECRAFTBEATS.COM

ALWAYS DOWN TO NETWORK