ORIGINAL VERSIONS THAT CAN'T BE FUCKED WITH

pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
Not saying there aren't good covers of these songs, but these versions listed here are DEFINITIVE:- "Gloria," Them (the Shadows of Knight's version is okay, as long as you don't play Them's original on the same day)- "It's All Over Now," the Valentinos (the Stones' cover is good, and Charlie Watts plays SO much drums, but the studio band on the Valentinos' version had this funky New Orleans syncopation going on that frankly MADE the song)- "Polk Salad Annie," Tony Joe White (why does everybody else feel the need to speed this up?)- "Piece Of My Heart," Erma Franklin (Janis Joplin? I. Don't. Think. So.)- "Sunny," Bobby Hebb (turns into instant mush whenever somebody else attempts it)- "Cissy Strut," the Meters- "It's Your Thing," Isley Brothers

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

- "Polk Salad Annie," Tony Joe White (why does everybody else feel the need to speed this up?)

Although I find Elvis' version to be highly entertaining, especially visually when he does it as part of his whole comeback, early 70s Vegas act. Such a flurry of sound and arm and hip movement and the band cueing off of each liitle thing he does. It borders on the bizarre, and ergo, I enjoy it. But I love Tony Joe's version best too.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Not saying there aren't good covers of these songs, but these versions listed here are DEFINITIVE:

- "Gloria," Them (the Shadows of Knight's version is okay, as long as you don't play Them's original on the same day)
    - "It's All Over Now," the Valentinos (the Stones' cover is good, and Charlie Watts plays SO much drums, but the studio band on the Valentinos' version had this funky New Orleans syncopation going on that frankly MADE the song)
    - "Polk Salad Annie," Tony Joe White (why does everybody else feel the need to speed this up?)
    - "Piece Of My Heart," Erma Franklin (Janis Joplin? I. Don't. Think. So.)
    - "Sunny," Bobby Hebb (turns into instant mush whenever somebody else attempts it)
    - "Cissy Strut," the Meters
    - "It's Your Thing," Isley Brothers

I have to say that James and Marva's 'Sunny' kills it. Co-sign on Erma and on Tony Joe White - his Rainy Night In Georgia is definitive in my book and his Hard To Handle is my favourite version too.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    James Carr - Dark End Of The Street....although the Flying Burrito Bros got close in a different kind of way.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    Not saying there aren't good covers of these songs, but these versions listed here are DEFINITIVE:

- "Gloria," Them (the Shadows of Knight's version is okay, as long as you don't play Them's original on the same day)
    - "It's All Over Now," the Valentinos (the Stones' cover is good, and Charlie Watts plays SO much drums, but the studio band on the Valentinos' version had this funky New Orleans syncopation going on that frankly MADE the song)
    - "Piece Of My Heart," Erma Franklin (Janis Joplin? I. Don't. Think. So.)
    - "Sunny," Bobby Hebb (turns into instant mush whenever somebody else attempts it)
    - "Cissy Strut," the Meters
    - "It's Your Thing," Isley Brothers

I have to say that James and Marva's 'Sunny' kills it.

OG CAN'T BE FUCKED WITH

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    No, I mean as far as non-slushy covers go. Bobby Hebb's is perfect.

• "Ain't No Sunshine".

• (Sittin' On the) Dock of the Bay

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    (Sittin' On the) Dock of the Bay

Though Relly Coloma's version is a lot of fun.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Inner City Blues

James Carr - Dark End Of The Street....although the Flying Burrito Bros got close in a different kind of way.

James Carr is the best, but I've liked a lot of covers.

"Ain't No Sunshine".

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    "Ain't No Sunshine".

yeah I wanted to say something too, but didn't want to come off as a hatter.

really though almost any version of this song is amazing

• curtis mayfield's Hell Below ... that east of underground version is cool but mayfields version is just simply amazing

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Let's Stay Together

Though it doesn't stop someone trying every fucking year.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    basically all james brown, couldnt be fucked with and therefore never covered much although theres endless material!