Chappelle to Appear On Oprah Friday

jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/11134248/should be interesting, though ill be working.

Comments

• 2 hr special on Actors Studio/Lipton Feb 12th(i think)

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    2 hr special on Actors Studio/Lipton Feb 12th(i think)

wow!

• indeed

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    so when the hell does oprah come on anyways. should i have a box of tissues ready? (no ayo)

• I hope she goes at him James Frey-style and makes him come back for another season.

• I hope they show the clip from his show where he impregnates her.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Didn't Oprah have a hand in the Chappelle Coup? I wonder if Al Sharpton, Bill Cosby and Whoopee will be (secretly) in the audience, or if Oprah will address the messages she sent via satellite to Dave's Ohio ranch.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    reminder reminder reminder

shits already intriguing!

• reminder reminder reminder

Please give updates to those of us at work.

reminder reminder reminder

he's saying it was a moral issue dealing with race. the network was trying to say he was insane and trying to get him to take meds. he jettedfor africa after only telling his bro.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    is anyone taping this? can i please get a copy?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    is anyone taping this? can i please get a copy?

My Grandpops is on the case!!!

Supposed to be shipping it out to me in the morning. I don't have the ability to dub, but once I peep it, I can send it to you. Let me know!

• reminder reminder reminder

he's saying it was a moral issue dealing with race. the network was trying to say he was insane and trying to get him to take meds. he jettedfor africa after only telling his bro.

Word! Did she show the clip from his show where he knocks her up?

yessur!!

hilarious. it was one of the first things they did.

he sounds pretty pissed at his longtime writing partner, who said dave "wasnt well," and who never got in touch with dave after he took off. allegedly the partner made comments to the press not necessarily sticking up for dave.

• yessur!!

I bet he did the show just so he could get a crack at really knocking her up.

yessur!!

I bet he did the show just so he could get a crack at really knocking her up.

Dave knows better...

H2>OPRAH IS AN ARMY/H2>

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    yes... anymore updates...??????

For those at work and won't see this probably... ever!

ummmmmm...

to conclude, i think dave is a really humble and decent guy who definitely lost his marbles and is slowly trying to gather them back up. he says he would like to speak to comedy central to finish his deal but on his terms, he would like to donate dvd proceeds to different charities. he started announcing how he'd like to just give his money to his people, when oprah stopped him like "Whoa buddy, dont announce that on tv, youll get all kinds of people lined up at your farm"

promos for the new movie and that was that.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts

What movie?

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    THANK YOU!!!!!!

What movie?

a documentary of the 2004 Block Party that Dave threw.

• i dvr'd this shit. can't wait to watch it in a minute.

• Dude. how fresh would it of been if Oprah said "I"M RICK JAMES BITCH!"

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Watched the whole thing and here are some thoughts.

Dave was definitely not ready for the bright glare of mega-stardom. People got weird (and pushy) when the money got huge and he was really thrown. Oprah kept telling him "with great power comes great responsibility" as in "damn ninja handle your business. You don't see Jay-Z on my couch bugging about the merchant class." You could feel Oprah wanting him to get a grip on the business side of things; Take more control and stop beating himself up for not being more prepared when things blew up. When I blow up, you can bet I'll be calling on Oprah for some advice.

I think Dave is pretty deep and started having doubts about the impact of his comedy on the huge mainstream audience he was attracting. He talked specifically about a white staff member laughing at a joke in a way that he felt was "laughing at him, not with him". But as the show wore on you could tell that it wasnt't the white guys reaction that really bothering him, it was his own conscience. The real evidence of this was clear when he discussed the possible terms under which he would return to the show. He wants lots of the royalties from sales of the dvd to go back into charitable causes in the sommunity. "Wouldn't it be great if socially irresponsible comedy had a social resposnsible effect in the community", he said. This is a real "tragedy" because Dave's comedy is the best social satire we got right now. For him to doubt himself is really letting the assholes win. Fuck them, they're never going to get it anyway.

I like how they held hands through long sections of the interview.

Dave kept saying, "Oprah, I needed some vitamin L. Where were the love vitamins, Oprah?"

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Watched the whole thing and here are some thoughts.

Dave was definitely not ready for the bright glare of mega-stardom. People got weird (and pushy) when the money got huge and he was really thrown. Oprah kept telling him "with great power comes great responsibility" as in "damn ninja handle your business. You don't see Jay-Z on my couch bugging about the merchant class." You could feel Oprah wanting him to get a grip on the business side of things; Take more control and stop beating himself up for not being more prepared when things blew up. When I blow up, you can bet I'll be calling on Oprah for some advice.

he made some pretty poignant comments regarding other folks who the media was quick to love then deem "crazy" (Martin Lawrence), and I don't think there are too many precedents in the last 10-20 years for just HOW fast and bright his star was burning. I doubt if too many people can truly relate, even Oprah built her empire over 10-20 years time. I don't think he was illogically paranoid, but he still looks a bit bugged out about it all. And at 32, dude's still pretty young and still got mistakes to make. I hope he can still manage to trust someone to handle his affairs with and for him, because ain't NO way you can do all that on yer own!

One other thing: Anyone else kind of tired of hearing that he 'walked away from 50 Million dollars"? As if he won the lottery or something and it was just sitting there in sacks of banded $100 bills. That was a situation where he contractually was obligated to produce AT LEAST $100 million of rvenue and his share would be half, and it was that situation that got him and everyone around him from top to bottom bugged out. Strings are always attached, in this case more like steel cables, and it made everyone weird, sounds like. My 2 cents.

• basically chappelle is a real dude. he was really stressed and couldn't deal with getting bombarded with super-stardom so quickly. he was smart enough not take a path that would harm him mentally and physically, so he opted to bounce out to africa. i can understand that. and the fact that he said he would finish this season if comedy central agrees to give half the profits of the dvd sales "to the people" is that real schitt.

• One thing I will say...for a man on nationwide TV discussing his inner demons with Oprah Winfrey, Chapelle sure did seem oddly comfortable, didn't he?Anybody else would have stuttered, babbled, lowered their voice, not look the interviewer dead in the face, hesitated trying to find the right things to say, or just have a meltdown in front of ten thousand viewers. On the other hand, here's Chapelle talking about what went wrong with the ease of somebody describing a trip to the grocery store! If this man can talk about the incident this easily, and with humor, maybe he's got his marbles together after all.

• good point. you saw him get a lil emotional when talking about his friend and co-writer, and at one point oprah was holding his hand, but yeah i agree, he was quite collected up there.

good point. you saw him get a lil emotional when talking about his friend and co-writer, and at one point oprah was holding his hand, but yeah i agree, he was quite collected up there.

He's a comeian/actor by nature, though. Plus, he's had to think about this more than anyone else has at an intense level, so you'd probably come out of that in the right state of mind. It's been awhile since all of this went down, anyway.