BRAD MEHLDAU: YaY or NaY?

JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
Is it necessary for dude to include a Radiohead cover in (almost) every single record he puts out?Discutamos, por favor.

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I was once hollerin' at this woman in LA who LOVED this guy and would send me CD burns of his stuff. I thought it was pleasant in the way piano jazz is generally pleasant but none of his shit blew my wig back. I'd rather listen to Jamie Cullum cover "Frontin."

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    Good One!

This dude is divisive in jazz like Steely Dan is elsewhere.

Radiohead covers are a nay, but his Blackbird cover gets him a ... uhhh ..... yay.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

neither. just eh

he's a good player. and pop covers seem to distract from that. same with the bad plus.

somebody burned me everything by both, but I find myself wanting to take it off and put on Bill Evans' Riversidde records everytime. might also be the crap digital sound.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Good One!

This dude is divisive in jazz like Steely Dan is elsewhere.

Radiohead covers are a nay, but his Blackbird cover gets him a ... uhhh ..... yay.

and if this fucker's a source of divisiveness in jazz. no wonder i stopped giving a fuck.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    did this guy do a pretty decent cover of dear prudence about three years ago - with really good drums and a nice driving feel to it?

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    John Brion + Brad Mehldau = good records (if yr into that sort of thing).