John Mayall suggestions anyone?

schobbejakschobbejak 36 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
I've got the albums 'Turning Point' and 'Jazz blues fusion', which I both like very very much and was planning to explore a little bit more of their catalogue. Since they seem to have quite a big discography, I was wondering if any of you strutters could give me some advice about what albums are worth checking out. I heard the 'bluesbreakers' period has brought forth the best albums..what about the later stuff, still good?Thanks

Comments

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    beano

• djrdjr 511 Posts

3 words:

I'm Your Witchdoctor

could use this on US Immediate 45 if anyone can grab me one.....

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I think his earliest stuff is best.

'John Mayall Plays Mayall : Live at Klook's Kleek' can be found in two forms and is

The OG Decca LP (his debut) is as hard to find in CD as it is on LP, but can be found as one LP in a 2LP best of release around '74 or so. Features Peter Green. I can't recall the exact title of the collection, but it is a sandy brown cover with a drawing of the 70s Mayall on the front, so it is a bit deceptive. But make no mistake, that first LP is smokin' British Rhythym & Beat music, not the noodly blooze that Mayall became synonymous with. "Crawlin' Up A Hill" is a classic.

• Ok, I'll go check those out, thanks very much!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I've got the albums 'Turning Point' and 'Jazz blues fusion', which I both like very very much and was planning to explore a little bit more of their catalogue. Since they seem to have quite a big discography, I was wondering if any of you strutters could give me some advice about what albums are worth checking out. I heard the 'bluesbreakers' period has brought forth the best albums..what about the later stuff, still good?
    Thanks

For me Turning Point is where it's at. If you like Jazz Blues Fusion (and why wouldn't you?) then get Moving On, essentially the same band.

The early stuff that everyone sweats is very typical (perhaps archetypal) British blues. If you like early Fleetwood Mac and Eric Clapton then go for it.

Bottom line is Mayall is always about his band, so check the band line up and decide.

Dan

• mayall by himself kinda stinks. I'm all about the Clapton and Peter Green albums.

and yes....I'M YOUR WITCHDOCTOR!!!

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    The closest I've come to feeling him is the Laurel Canyon Blues LP. His stuff is just a little too blues rock for me, though.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    I've got the albums 'Turning Point' and 'Jazz blues fusion', which I both like very very much and was planning to explore a little bit more of their catalogue. Since they seem to have quite a big discography, I was wondering if any of you strutters could give me some advice about what albums are worth checking out. I heard the 'bluesbreakers' period has brought forth the best albums..what about the later stuff, still good?
    Thanks

the Movin' On LP is well worth a buck is you see it in the dollar bin... it's a kinda jazz/blues thing, with good players on it... Freddy Robinson on guitar is i remember right...

• The closest I've come to feeling him is the Laurel Canyon Blues LP. His stuff is just a little too blues rock for me, though.

Yeah, I came across a few of his records that I don't normally see the other day, one of which had Blue Mitchell playing on trumpet (!) so I decided to give them a listen since the store had a turntable on hand. Granted I haven't heard his entire catalog but I really wasn't feeling the titles on that day... A bit too folk/rock-ish for my taste. And I could never seem to get into his blatantly "white" voice. Something about over-pronounciation that just turns me off.

• mayall by himself kinda stinks. I'm all about the Clapton and Peter Green albums.

and yes....I'M YOUR WITCHDOCTOR!!!
    yes...peter green is the shnizzle, end of the game and in the skies are beautiful