Question for the real PAP headz

ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
I just picked up another copy of the album this* song is from, but it is the ???official??? release (or so it seems), and the one I had before is on some small label. The major difference between them seems to be how they are mixed: the ???official??? one I just got has louder --some would say ???properly mixed???--vocals and guitar, while the small/private label one has crisp, up-front, face-slapping, drums/bass and not-so-prominent vocals/guitar. It???s quite noticeable and kind of a let down if you are expecting them to sound the same (which I was). That said, some of the songs sound better with louder, cleaner vocals, while others continue to sound better with the drums that ring out like a shot???I guess I can now enjoy the best of both worlds.

Real headz: let me know what the deal is. Which press do you prefer (if you have heard both)?

*Audio of the small label press (for Herm )

Comments

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    Country beats eh?

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    It was a regular thing for major labels to want a different mix than its independent counterpart, or to create a mix for the single that was different than one that would make it onto the album (if it made it to an album at all). If a record was a success regionally, a big label like Atlantic or Capitol might say "we'd like to release it, but would it be possible to push up the vocals a bit".

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    It was a regular thing for major labels to want a different mix than its independent counterpart...

Can you think of any examples of where this happened with whole albums and it significantly changed their sound?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I like that shit. what is it?

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    damn, i know that song but i cant think of it right now. thats a hot joint.

and that is not country

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    thats a hot joint.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    There's quite a few examples of where there are two different mixes released - obvious ones are the songs which went through the whole mono/stereo changeover.
    Listen to any Beach Boys song in mono, then listen to the same version in stereo (if it exists) - the difference is huge.

Also, songs like 'I Like It' by The Emotions... the 45 version is mixed way different to the LP version.

It was a regular thing for major labels to want a different mix than its independent counterpart...
    Can you think of any examples of where this happened with whole albums and it significantly changed their sound?

When I read your post this morning, I couldn't think of one. I bought Jeff Chang's book a few days ago and am finally getting into it today. I'm in the Jamaican section, and I was reminded of a perfect example.

The Wailers' Catch A Fire[/b] is a perfect example. In Jamaica, the album was released as is, no overdubs whatsoever. In England, the people at Island Records (who had just signed Marley after the Wailers had been releasing music for a few years) heard it and said it could not be released. They asked for the master recordings, and Island records "sweetened" it up by overdubbing it. Some say it was merely to make something good sound better, others clearly state it was done to make Marley more appealing to white audiences (although in England, thousands of white kids had been into reggae and its predecesors for years).

Universal came out with a Deluxe Edition of Catch A Fire[/b], and it features the original Jamaican mix of the album. I think it's a lot better.

There's quite a few examples of where there are two different mixes released - obvious ones are the songs which went through the whole mono/stereo changeover.
    Listen to any Beach Boys song in mono, then listen to the same version in stereo (if it exists) - the difference is huge.
    Or three or four. A stereo mix of Pet Sounds[/b] didn't exist until the late 90's, and there's also a 5.1 surround mix if you buy the DVD-A.

Also, songs like 'I Like It' by The Emotions... the 45 version is mixed way different to the LP version. Often times that was done on purpose, for the sake of being appealing for the radio and those who bought singles. Let's not forget that even when mono albums were phased out, labels still made stereo/mono 45's to please FM and AM radio stations. While most were just stereo reductions, a few weren't.

Of course, the Motown argument of mono vs. stereo continues. The mono mixes is what gave us the hits, and the stereo mixes were just crappy. Early Beatles stuff in stereo were crap too, you had to seek jazz albums in order to hear engineers and producers explore the potential of stereophonic mixing. That, and something like Surrealistic Bongos In 360 Sound[/b].

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Reynaldo gets MAD PROPS, YO![/b] for mp3ing this for me.

Thanks again.

Herm

Who is the artist? I'd like to hear more from him. If you feel like you're going to be a snitch or something, then PM me and at least drop me a hint, and I'll do the searching myself.

• Reynaldo gets MAD PROPS, YO![/b] for mp3ing this for me.

Thanks again.

Herm

Herm you are such a sweet fella.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    the track is hot..........WHAT IS IT?

I still don't see an envelope blinking next to my Main Index link.

• soulcitizensoulcitizen 304 Posts
    Marvin Gaye 'what's going on' and 'let's get it on' were both released as quad copies on Motown Japan in 1973 on vinyl. Both are totally remixed and sound different to any other version that's been released, they have a more lush sound, and one of the tracks fades out instead of cutting into the next one - p.