Linda Jones

faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
I am trying to get my Linda Jones discography right.I have Hypnotized and Your Precious Love and want to know if there are there any more so necessary LPs.There's this one, some of which appears to be previously relesed (but perhaps re-recorded) material:Can anyone tell me if it's worth getting and if there are any more LPs?

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    That's a terrible drawing of her. Didn't she have 45 only stuff as well? Perhaps I'm off. I passed on Your Precious Love for $1 because it was destroyed. Fauxpas? Maybe.

Allmusic says something about:
    Never Mind The Quality..Feel The Soul Live From Ohio 1970, which might/probably is CD only.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    That's a terrible drawing of her. Didn't she have 45 only stuff as well? Perhaps I'm off.

Yes, I am kind of looking for assurance that this LP is not so necessary, since the cover is so damn ugly.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    She died in '72, so her catalog is not gonna be that long one would assume.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Maybe her ALBUM catalog wouldn't be that long. Her first confirmed single came out in '64, so her 45 discography is quite extensive (as you can see on the Soulful Kinda Music website).

What IS that album shown, anyway? Label, title, year? (Wouldn't surprise me if it were posthumous, like that Linda Jones' Greatest Hits album on Turbo, later reished on Chess.)

Maybe her ALBUM catalog wouldn't be that long. Her first confirmed single came out in '64, so her 45 discography is quite extensive (as you can see on the Soulful Kinda Music website).

What IS that album shown, anyway? Label, title, year? (Wouldn't surprise me if it were posthumous, like that Linda Jones' Greatest Hits album on Turbo, later reished on Chess.)

Portrait of Linda Jones--released in '71.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Hypnotized and Your Precious Love
    Are these records any good? Everytime I saw her records for sale (a total of 2 times) they were in the $45-$55 range and I was hesitant to buy. Top notch soul or not?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

[i]Your Precious Love
    Are these records any good?

I dig this, nice sweet soul LP. Not as good as something like Tommie Young but good enough to own. I wouldn't pay over $50 for it though. Take about $20 off that price and I think thats more reasonable

Your Precious Love
    Are these records any good?

I dig this, nice sweet soul LP. Not as good as something like Tommie Young but good enough to own. I wouldn't pay over $50 for it though. Take about $20 off that price and I think thats more reasonable

Cool. I'll take your word for it, being that you're into soul. I wonder what other Strutters have to say about her albums.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    HYPNOTIZED hurts, man. Fine soul.

I guess I need to head over to the 'Records You Regret Not Buying' thread

Everytime I saw her records for sale (a total of 2 times) they were in the $45-$55 range and I was hesitant to buy.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I just got "your precious love" on ebay about a month ago for a little over 20 bucks. Great female soul lp imo.

• TNGTNG 234 Posts
    Her Loma sides are absolutely neccesary.

"Hypnotized" is right up with Lorraine Ellison's "Stay with Me" in my greatest ballad department.

Everytime I saw her records for sale (a total of 2 times) they were in the $45-$55 range and I was hesitant to buy.

I really like both of them--they're produced by George Kerr, who was responsible for a lot of male sweet soul like the Moments and the Whatnauts, but Linda was more manic than either of those groups.

You'll see them for those prices or for less again, though.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

I really like both of them--they're produced by George Kerr, who was responsible for a lot of male sweet soul like the Moments and the Whatnauts, but Linda was more manic than either of those groups.

No shit - she went so far over the top sometimes that it was almost comical (listen to her hysterical rap on "Your Precious Love"). But I'm still a fan.

You'll see them for those prices or for less again, though.
    Well, the next time I see it, I'll just drop the paper. Thanks for the insight, faux.

• FYPL: Linda's mind garden on wax

borderline disturbing

• That's a terrible drawing of her. Didn't she have 45 only stuff as well? Perhaps I'm off.

Yes, I am kind of looking for assurance that this LP is not so necessary, since the cover is so damn ugly.

I have what looks like a similar tracklisting on an lp on turbo with a good picture of linda on the cover called 'let it be me', maybe the bad cover is a comp of this lp and some turbo 7's? essential for 'fugitive from love' which is one of the finest deep soul records I have ever heard, also with the moments and the whatnauts on 'i'm so glad I found you' and also 'i'll go' and 'if only we had met sooner'. oh and 'the version of 'hypnotised' beats the Loma one. All the turbo recordings beat the Loma ones for intensity for me even if the recording quality is terrible (check the New Sounds lp for a good example of how not to produce a recording sesion but somehow make something great out of it). You can just see the recording dials going into the red at the end of 'fugitive from love' as she wails then does the Linda Jones sob, she was a one-off and greatly underappreciated. IMHFO.

discog here:

http://www.soulfulkindamusic.net/ljones.htm

-P

• djrdjr 511 Posts
    Love this tune: