Friday Yard Sale finds

johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
I haven't been to a yard/garage sale in a long time due to (straight outta) low cash, but some $$$ came my way at the right time. An ad in the Giant Nickel said there was a yard sale very close to where I live. What hooked me was the fact it said 35 Year Liquidation[/b]. Even if it was junk, I was sure there were a few records there. The sale started at 7am, but I wasn't able to get there until 11:30am. That's 4?? hours of lost time, which meant 4?? hours of possible goods being bought by someone else.However, knowing this area all too well, one has to go in with low expectations. I found the house easily, and as I looked in the garage from my car, someone was holding a square object. From afar, it looked like this Graham Central Station album: That only made me wonder what else was in there before I got there.I went into the garage, and there were two crates of records. A lot of Waylon Jennings and Oakridge Boys, all in excellent condition. However, there were a few things I was able to take home:Clarence Gatemouth Brown-Blackjack (Music Is Medicine)Solomon Burke-Proud Mary (Bell)The Drifters-1959-1965: All Time Greatest Hits & More (Atlantic)Emmylou Harris-EvangelineMillie Jackson-Live & Uncensored (Spring)Millie Jackson & Issac Hayes-Royal Rappin's (Spring/Polydor)Kraftwerk-Autobahn (Vertigo)Ben E. King-Stand By Me: The Best Of... (Atlantic)Los Lobos-By The Light of The Moon (Slash/Warner Bros.)Otis Redding-The Dock Of The Bay (Volt)Sly & Robbie-Rhythm Killers (Island)Stars On-Stars On Long Play II (Radio/Atlantic)SOUNDTRACK-The Hollywood Knights (Casablanca)[/b]All for $13. Nothing too special, but when I paid for the records, the lady there (I would say mid-50's) started talking about how she loves music, but her and the family are moving after 35 years of living in the same home, so she needed to sell them. Then she goes "you know which record I really like? This one", and she points to the Millie Jackson & Issac Hayes one. I said "oh really?" and she replied yeah. Then she goes "and which is the one that's REALLY good?", said with an emphasis on the word REALLY and all I could think in my head was "damn woman, what were you doing when these records were playing?" and she points to the live Millie Jackson album. She looks at Autobahn and then says "oh my gosh, this album I loved". Eventually she makes it to Clarence Gatemouth Brown and says "oh, have you heard of him? He makes some incredible music". Unfortunately I went away without knowing if she was a Sly & Robbie fan.She was disappointed that the Jackson & Hayes album was not on CD, so I think I'll do a vinyl transfer right now and give her a copy tomorrow morning.

Comments

• hans_lucashans_lucas 159 Posts
    I think I'll do a vinyl transfer right now and give her a copy tomorrow morning.

That's fuckin' sweet, dude. I've got a bunch of garage sales to go to tomorrow, including one that says "Getting rid of 30 years of stuff".

Just think. 10 years from now a sign like that won't guarantee that there will be records there.

• KrautbreaksKrautbreaks 276 Posts
    Just think. 10 years from now a sign like that won't guarantee that there will be records there.

10 years from now someone will have invented a car
    that??s driven by old vinyl from jerks like James Last and Bert Kaempfert.

Someone HAS to ...

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

Someone HAS to ...

I think you could fuel up cars for a few years based on abandoned classical and religious records.

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    Let us know how that Solomon Burke is. I have one of his Bell 45s somewhere and I remember it was kind of interesting in a Solomon's-late-period-tryin'-to-stay-cool kinda thing...

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

Someone HAS to ...

Hoooooooold on right there! Big NOSIGN! You can have yer funky James Last but I'm keeping the Bert. Not only is there braeks, Walk in The Blackforest is top drawer cheese. If no believe on the braeks, will post some mambo madness!

Joan Armatrading however...

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Joan Armatrading has some tunes!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Let us know how that Solomon Burke is. I have one of his Bell 45s somewhere and I remember it was kind of interesting in a Solomon's-late-period-tryin'-to-stay-cool kinda thing...

I have that Solomon Burke, it's my favorite of his non-Atlantic material, although I don't have the "Cool Breeze" OST, which I hear is pretty dope. The production, arrangements and playing on the "Proud Mary" LP are all on point. Do NOT buy "I Have a Dream," it is painful listening.
    "Proud Mary" can usually be scored for well under $10, and is definitiely worth it.

• KrautbreaksKrautbreaks 276 Posts

Hoooooooold on right there! Big NOSIGN! You can have yer funky James Last but I'm keeping the Bert. Not only is there braeks, Walk in The Blackforest is top drawer cheese. If no believe on the braeks, will post some mambo madness!

on a cheesy tip I still prefer Klaus Wunderlich most

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

I have that Solomon Burke, it's my favorite of his non-Atlantic material, although I don't have the "Cool Breeze" OST, which I hear is pretty dope. The production, arrangements and playing on the "Proud Mary" LP are all on point. Do NOT buy "I Have a Dream," it is painful listening.
    "Proud Mary" can usually be scored for well under $10, and is definitiely worth it.

I am a fan Proud Mary. I don't have a copy here, but I remember it sounding like Muscle Shoals with Duane Alman. I think it might say American Recording Studios in Memphis. Still I remember it sounding like Duane was on it.

Burke is funny, Electronic Magnetism is not Electronic at all, Back To My Roots is not rootsy.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

on a cheesy tip I still prefer Klaus Wunderlich most

Wunderlich, Bert, James Last (and Les Humphries) all have crisp drumbreaks on their records, so don't front too much on those german schlager joints !
    auwright-

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    i hate garage sale dudes that try to sell for record store prices.
    I find an electric prunes record, "ohhhh, tri-color label....ohhh yea even though that ones on a major label, those psychedelic records are worth a LOT of money, this one too, it goes for 50-60 dollars in record stores, but i'll give it to you for 20bucks"

what a waste of fuckin' time.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    i hate garage sale dudes that try to sell for record store prices.
    I find an electric prunes record, "ohhhh, tri-color label....ohhh yea even though that ones on a major label, those psychedelic records are worth a LOT of money, this one too, it goes for 50-60 dollars in record stores, but i'll give it to you for 20bucks"

what a waste of fuckin' time.

Yep. I mean, the whole point behind going to yard and garage sales is for the bargain.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    should we go into people's beatles and elvis records!!!

"i have the white album in the house. saving that for ebay...."

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I had that very annoying (and common to most of us, I'm sure) experience today, where an old friend of my Mom's brought her late husband's entire record collection for me at the Mother's Day get-together we were all going to. I remembered them being hipsters when I was a kid in the 70's, so I had visions of raer private press bloodshitter free jazz and Chocolate Watchband LP's, etc, floating through my head on the long drive down to my Sister's house in Rhode Island.

Of course, it was pure garbage. Glen Campbell, Percy Faith, Godspell, etc...

The thing that really bummed me out, was that when I talked to her on the phone last week, she gave me this long speech about how her husband had been such a neat freak, so anal, that the records were all "like new" and "perfect." Now, years of record store employment have taught me the definition of the average person's "like new" when it comes to grading records, which generally means "unplayably trashed," but I guess it being a friend of the family, I actually fell for it...NOPE, not only were the records lame, they were all too destroyed to even trade in to a record store for $5 credit or something...second post in a row I have made that needs this bad boy: