Fives!!

iron_monkeyiron_monkey 985 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
Durando, Dorando... whatever it is[/b]1. : FINALLY!! I get to cross off the top record on my wants list!! It's been four years since I first heard the sublime ghetto soul/funk masterpiece "Walking in a Crowd" (by Jimmy Hamilton & Whatt????) and since that time, I've asked every discerning record dood about it. Stumped every one of them and made my chances of ever coming across a copy very slim indeed. That was until yesterday when a good friend came by. All smiles as he blessed upon me a VG++ copy of this most elusive of 45's. It was one of those dream feelings all slow motion and soft, fuzzy edges as I dropped the needle on it. THANKS S***T. Owe ya one, buddy...2.NYC[/b]: Was awesome as always. Great to see my pals Raj and Otis. Good times smokin J's and crackin up hysterical to "Yacht Rock" episodes. So Smooth.... Christopher Cross' "Sailing" has permanently taken on a new significance in the mindgarden. Found myself singing that and some mush-mouthed Michael McDonald shit for days after the fact. Breakface party was in full effect as the Vinyl Ballaz reunion made it all official-like. Cool to meet Delay. Also so very-nice to play drums w/ Otis again. My DJ set blew out the house system about halfway through. Dudes set up some new monitors quick, fast in a hurry so's I could finish up properly. Thanks Guys! Reminded me of that scene in Beat Street where they tap into the street's power lines to get the abandoned house party poppin off. "It's Working!!"3.DJ'in[/b]: Once is not enough. Oh no, the West coast wanted a lil somethin-somethin too. So off I went to son and stun at some joint in Santa Monica. Y'know, the type that doesn't have the sign out front. Sheesh! Get over it already with that steelo. Anyway, the DJ booth was some ghetto cirque de soleil type shit as I was precariously balanced atop two wooden pallets while cueing up records. I almost fell over a bunch of times throughout my set. My record bag fell and dumped my LP's on the hard floor. I was not happy. Then I saw that nothing happened to them. No banged up edges or anything. Like a get outta jail free card or somethin. Whew! Good times. Played, Got paid, got laid (by a chick, dudes. Jeez!). Thanks S**. Good lookin out, bro.4.IronMonkey-the album[/b]: Dug a grip of tapes out of storage. Recordings of my old band that I've been planning on compiling and releasing. Found so much good shit that I have to now pick and choose what will make the cut. The jams still hold up after ten years. All Psyched-out with hard drums, Sabbath overtones and serious nods to Angelo Badalamenti. Coming soon!!5.makin friends laugh[/b]: Anyone who's ever recieved a voicemail message from me knows that they're in for an exercise in awkwardness and hilarity when they check out the ramblings I'm prone to leave on their phone. Daze always gets the best ones. I don't know what it is that happens to me when that beep goes off but it just makes me blabber incessantly like a mental patient. I ask questions and then answer them myself with what I think the most likely repsonse would be, go off on tangents, try to bring it back around, freeze up. It's a mess! Two minutes later, I always apologize and explain that I suck at voicemail. Weird...Duran Duran... pffft..whatever[/b]1.car repairs![/b]2.$$$$ is tight[/b]3.routine[/b]: Setting in and makin things all stagnant. Life can be triflin sometimes...

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Yeah Man.. Nice seeing u.

Kenny Loggins "This Is It" is still in my head. (No Lie)

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Oh Shit - Fives:

1. New Site = New chapter in my life
    2. Playing and studying music again
    3. Going home to Pittsburgh for Super Bowl Sunday
    4. Work paying for my new Mac Powerbook
    5. Wife is pregnant again!

Lowes:

1. Wife is on Progesterone which is making her extremely bitchy
    2. Haven't slept in awhile (new site related)
    3.... CAN I WRITE MORE TOP FIVES???

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    1. The Duke Spirit ROCK.
    2. SPC's B-Boy Mix.
    3. Only 4 months till I get my drivers liscence back.
    4. Life On Mars is on BBC1 tonight.
    5. I don't have work tomorrow.

• 5. Wife is pregnant again!

yeah dude! more soulstrut babies! congrats and good luck to your family!

yes[/b]

1. getting so much shit done lately
    2. the PANCAKES thread is making me hungry
    3. 2006 is hot to def so far
    4. we finished printing about 500 of these bad boys late last night

no[/b]
    1. waiting 30 minutes in line at a show and the two people in front of you are literally the last people they let in before it's officially SOLD OUT. thought that only happened in cartoons! fuck!
    2. i have to sign and number about 500 fucking posters... before tonight.

• sorry i missed your west coast debut. but alas, no car, no ride, no show.

but my phone is working again.

sounds like it went well.

• 5. Wife is pregnant again!

dang man, i had no idea!! CONGRATS!!
    but uhh shouldn't that be #1???

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Nothing but lows:

1. HJ dragged me out to go jogging on saturday and we ran past a dead dog on the sidewalk just laying there. HJ kinda freaked, but all I could think about was how its eyes were open and its tongue was hanging out, and how I hope when I die my eyes aren't open and my tongue hanging out. Even if it means I have to find religion, please oh please oh please don't let me die with my tongue hanging out.

2. My mixer is humming.

3. I keep trying to love my sleep number bed because everybody else does, but dammit, i'm just not impressed, and neither is HJ. Although I guess I am sleeping ok, I wish the pillow top was softer.

4. For the second time I bought a book, tried to read it, and its just fucking boring. New yorkers must read A LOT of fucking books because this one was a "New York Times Best Seller" and was boring me to tears.

5. Side note. Please stop finding ways to somehow compare every new book that comes out to the Da Vince Code. "It's like Bridges Of Madison County meets the Da Vinci Code! A wild ride!" UGGG. Seriously. please please please. I really enjoyed the Da Vinci Code. I've barely enjoyed the books thats been compared to it somehow.

6. I've relenquished any semblance of manhood as I have somehow been sucked into Project Runway. "Oh my god! Santino gets busted doing his impersonation of whats his face! I can't wait! he's soooo bitchy!!" I blame HJ.

7. Email servers have been blocked at work. no hotmail, no gmail. how the FUCK am I supposed to enlarge my penis and breasts now???

8. My cat has night vision. I don't. So don't get all pissed at me when I step on and/or trip over the cat at night. I know that cat is thinking "dang, what a dickhead... I'm standing right here!" well, too bad. once bitten, twice shy right? get your fat ass out of my way or you will get coffee spilled on you again.

9. My hairline keeps going back and back. I need a new type haircut, but I don't know what would look good with my jack nicholson head. and its getting a bit on the thin side.

10. I need a vacation.

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

Congratulations, Raj!

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    I'm a boring person; always have and always will be, so I dont think I can make it to 5...

Good

1. Still in relatively good health

2. On Saturday morning, I went to a church rummage sale and found some cool foreign stuff. I ate some damn good tasting curry at some Thai place, but...(see 'bad')

3. Igotthatbeat noticed me at Counterpoint records and we talked shop for a good while. Nice to see strutters after a long time of isolation from Strutter hangouts, swap meets and habitual buying in general due to...(see 'bad' as well)

4. Been fooling around on my drums lately, learning new stuff

Bad

1. ...the food made me extremely sick a few hours later and decided to take it easy opposed to going to Iron's gig later that night

2. ...depression bullshit and various emotional issues; feelings of insecurity, irrelevance, little self-worth and all that good stuff.

I guess I can't complain since my brother, who I had a nice talk with over the weekend, is going through similiar stuff since his social life sucks and he is getting his ass whooped (academically, that is). He enlisted and moved to Colorado to join the Air Force. It's nice to see he's being a tropper and hanging in there.

Many Blessings, Raj.

Me & the wifey are awaiting for #2 to show up anyday now.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    Played, Got paid, got laid. Thanks S**. Good lookin out, bro[/b].

• Naw dude...

Not like YOU

I get down w/ the ladies...

Naw dude...

Not like YOU

i'm happy for you, but u may want to pick some better wording when you're telling us about it

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

1) Grandma turns 92 on Sat.

2) Just got my customized Jack Purcell's in the mail.

3) No tax week in NYC/ hittin' the outlets.

4) 60 degrees in NYC.

5)

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

1 getting along real good with the wife after some bad times.
    2 learned how to snowboard on Saturday.
    3 real productive music work for the last few weeks
    4 California was real good especially San Francisco
    5 Goodbye Horses

1 my friend's mom has cancer
    2 knocked myself unconcious snowboarding on Saturday and I'm still hurting
    3 had a leaky gas tank on the truck and it turned out i had to fix a bunch of other shit
    4 motherfucking promoters need to get their shit together
    5 Rhymefest's voice

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

60 degrees in NYC.

• Naw dude...

Not like YOU

i'm happy for you, but u may want to pick some better wording when you're telling us about it

Yeah, you're right.

Fixed it though...

Glad to see someone actually reads my stream-of-consciousness ramblings.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

60 degrees in NYC.

1. 60+ degrees in NYC
    2. 60+ degrees in NYC
    3. 60+ degrees in NYC
    4. 60+ degrees in NYC
    5. went skating for 3 hours today. huge smile on my face.

Ad****,

good to meet you too, maygne. i'll be out left soon. we'll have to get our karaoke posse on.

60 degrees in NYC.

i always get sketched out when people are happy about extraordinarily good weather. 60+ in NYC and detroit in january is freakishly warm weather. although i'm all for folks enjoying it, it just makes me think of people smiling in the face of impending doom
    sorry to make one of your good fives all scary

• it's even worse than you think dude, it's been 40-60 degrees more frequently than it has been below freezing.

It's snowed two or three times, melted within a week or so each time.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    BIGUP

1: Taking "Work" related snowboard trips
    2: My "Big Dude Wants" List has been eradicated. I'm chilling for a while.
    3: Mixmaster Mike ripping shit up at our party in Vegas
    4: Powder @ Stowe this Past Thursday=Best Day of Year

5: Playing the best prank of all-time in Vegas that has gone down in the anals of Bro-history. What did I do? I sent two Meth'ed out hookers to my boss' hotel room @ 5AM asking with titties out: "Who Ordered Anal" then "I'm not leaving till I get the rest of my money" then "how are you going to deny this sweet puckered asshole? I drove all the way here from the west side..." etc.....Big scene. Pissed my self with laughter. Got the whole thing on video.

Downtrodden:

1: Losing 10 pounds after my surgery. Emo is not a good look.
    2: Shitty winter overall
    3: Not getting a radio show this semester.

That's all.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

congratulations, r*j!

maybe i'll make that challice baby bottle instead of using the chrome paint on pigeons this year.

Project Runway

1) had a fun and memorable weekend hanging out my with my boyfriend and friends consisting of dancing, drunken karaoke, constant side splitting laughter and delicious food. he also generously help me moved my crap to the new flat which inadvertently caused all these sappy hand-holding thoughts in the brain and i'm just overall really glad to have him.
    2) new place = new chapter in my life. bedroom is away from busy street, so i get better sleep and feel rejuvenated the next day. better bars, better restaurants and walking distance to my close friends and the new building is pigeon-free
    3) project runway is consistently engrossing and awesome
    4) snack attacks and breakfast bangathons a plenty
    5) new cube location at work, awesome view of bay bridge, no more obnoxious co-worker talky talky

Project Blowed

1) no complaints, the year of the dog is off to a great start

• gone down in the anals of Bro

• El Farolito
    1). I'm on the bill for the upcoming SA-RA show here in S.F. 'Nuff Said
    2). A bunch of cool music oppurtunites are on the table. Hopefully they bubble
    3). Re-Up magazine. Reminds me off Big Daddy but w/ doper design.
    4). Recent L.A. trip, it Was real decent (shouts to the folks who had us, interviewed us/let us come on there radio show etc..)
    5). Playing the Adult Contemporary R&B station here at work.

Taco Bell
    1). A bunch of cool music opportunities, hopefully they don't flop
    2). The food in L.A. blew (The Hat" in Fullerton was the only thing fresh)

• 2: My "Big Dude Wants" List has been eradicated. I'm chilling for a while.

You should've hollered at me about that Tr*****e and the J****s record first though.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts

1. Alec Soth photography exhibition at Des Moines, IA Modern Art Museum
    2. Met someone cool
    3. Giving money to friends
    4. Friend's b-day tonight
    5. Michael Ackerman - "End Time City" book (photographer)

1. Seems like everyone is dying, specifically family members that I am related to or friend's family members.

• 2). The food in L.A. blew (The Hat" in Fullerton was the only thing fresh)

how dare you. did you go to any of the places i mentioned? i think not. food is one of the saving graces about LA.

• honestly nope. You know how it goes when traveling with other people, being on a time schedule etc...I need to take a solo trip and just kick it "beach dude" style or something.

and yo! we didn't see any hot fe's at ALL! Total dissapointment. We saw hotter chicks at the Oakland Airport than in all of L.A.

3) project runway is consistently engrossing and awesome

Santino is a total bitch though right? I wouldn't be able to last 30 seconds with that dude before thinking of an excuse to leave. What a total pain in the ass. Still though, his impression of that host guy is pretty funny, and on wednesday we will get to see him get busted. I get the feeling it will be a letdown though.

Me and HJ are rooting for Chloe, simply because she seems like the only one who is not completely insane. Actually the shaggy hair guy seems pretty normal too.

p.s. why don't they ever design clothes for men???