Does anyone have DirecTV?

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
I moved into a new place and the house has DirecTV dish service. I don't know what the hell that's all about cause I just had Comcast before, but there is some receiver involved? Do I have to buy a receiver or can I just use a tv signal splitter and tap into my roommates' connection for instant tv? I would hate having to miss Idol and Project Runway, but I guess I'll live.

Comments

• I moved into a new place and the house has DirecTV dish service. I don't know what the hell that's all about cause I just had Comcast before, but there is some receiver involved? Do I have to buy a receiver or can I just use a tv signal splitter and tap into my roommates' connection for instant tv? I would hate having to miss Idol and Project Runway, but I guess I'll live.

You can split off your roomates signal but you'll be forced to watch what he/she is watching.

If you want the Power, you will be required to get yo'self a receiver of your own, possibly have cables run to the room where new said receiver would be going.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I believe you have to pay a per-room monthly fee...

• I believe you have to pay a per-room monthly fee...

$5

Dunno, tho, what DTV would charge to come out and supply a new receiver and run lines from the dist to it if need be.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    I moved into a new place and the house has DirecTV dish service. I don't know what the hell that's all about cause I just had Comcast before, but there is some receiver involved? Do I have to buy a receiver or can I just use a tv signal splitter and tap into my roommates' connection for instant tv? I would hate having to miss Idol and Project Runway, but I guess I'll live.

You can split off your roomates signal but you'll be forced to watch what he/she is watching.

If you want the Power, you will be required to get yo'self a receiver of your own, possibly have cables run to the room where new said receiver would be going.

Thanks! I see a bunch of RCA Receivers on Craigslist for like $10 with "access cards" whatever that means. Is this just something I can get used? If I order it online, it'll probably take at least a week

• I moved into a new place and the house has DirecTV dish service. I don't know what the hell that's all about cause I just had Comcast before, but there is some receiver involved? Do I have to buy a receiver or can I just use a tv signal splitter and tap into my roommates' connection for instant tv? I would hate having to miss Idol and Project Runway, but I guess I'll live.

Thanks! I see a bunch of RCA Receivers on Craigslist for like $10 with "access cards" whatever that means. Is this just something I can get used? If I order it online, it'll probably take at least a week

Mmmm...really not sure about "underground" methods of gettin' a DTV receiver. I'd just call DTV. If your roomie/s have been good customers w/ DTV for a while, they should hook y'all up. Try their customer retention department. However, now that I think about it, if you already have the proper cabling run from the dish to the room where your TV is, you can get DTV equipment at places like Best Buy.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Mmmm...really not sure about "underground" methods of gettin' a DTV receiver. I'd just call DTV. If your roomie/s have been good customers w/ DTV for a while, they should hook y'all up. Try their customer retention department. However, now that I think about it, if you already have the proper cabling run from the dish to the room where your TV is, you can get DTV equipment at places like Best Buy.

DirectTv has the best customer service of any service I pay for! Call them up and see what kind of a deal you can get, or if you are friendly with your roomie, then just have him do it if it's his subscription, another room costs like $5 a month for the same package you have already, probably extra $$ for an installation. I have had it since at least 2000, wouldn't change it.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    al7bar website shows you where to get boxes you program yourself and get 700 hundred channels free. It uses a Direct TV dish and works pretty flawsly, with minor tweakage. I highly recommend this.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

DirectTv has the best customer service of any service I pay for! Call them up and see what kind of a deal you can get, or if you are friendly with your roomie, then just have him do it if it's his subscription, another room costs like $5 a month for the same package you have already, probably extra $$ for an installation. I have had it since at least 2000, wouldn't change it.

i just called them and they said to get a new receiver at $50 and then the $5 extra room charge. so this is better than comcast? most of it was kinda garbage like home shopping network channels. i have no idea what this satellite stuff is all about because there is no tv currently in the living room. will this mean i will get VH1 Classics? they air videos by 10cc and 38 Special

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    i just called them and they said to get a new receiver at $50 and then the $5 extra room charge. so this is better than comcast? most of it was kinda garbage like home shopping network channels. i have no idea what this satellite stuff is all about because there is no tv currently in the living room. will this mean i will get VH1 Classics? they air videos by 10cc and 38 Special
    May be worth it for the Sirius satellite radio channels.

• May be worth it for the Sirius XM satellite radio channels.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Ask your roommate what package he gets. I get IFC and Sundance, but no HBO or Showtime. You should be able to subscribe to whatever. However, the $5 extra is just for the extra room, and the $50 is for the box, you still have a monthly fee, unless your roomie is generous about letting you piggy back of his subscription.