music genres, love 'em or hate 'em?

froovyfroovy 86 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
hi struttersmusic genres, love 'em or hate 'em, we seem to be stuck with 'em. so... what are the music genres you wish were on eBay, that aren't? PS.anybody got a link to the definative music genre family?

Comments

• Rap-tango? Rap-wrestling?

I can be irritated with genres but don't forget, they are just there to explain a sound/movement/et.c. so use them as you like and just listen to music instead

/L

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I wish there was a genre listing on ebay.

I would just have one area to check then!

• froovyfroovy 86 Posts
    I see?? so you subscribe to 'the-breaks music genre taxonomy'
    which is:

soul, funk & r&b
    jazz
    rock/pop
    blues
    reggae
    old school rap
    comedy
    soundtracks
    easy listening
    electronica
    children's
    latin
    world
    classical
    country
    gospel
    novelty
    comps
    library
    various
    film

Don't get me wrong, I love 'the-breaks' but...

What about HipHop?
    Why are movies and soundtracks in different catagories?
    Should gospel be with soul & r&b?

Does jazz-funk com under jazz or funk?

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Genres are useful but tend to cause beef.

That said, a lot of people define themselves by a genre (clothing, attitude etc).

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Not a big fan of genres.
    For example, I can't tell the difference between 'Modern Soul' and 'Boogie'. I just call them "Classic shit that mom you used party to".

• froovyfroovy 86 Posts
    ok, another spin on it.

alternative music genres that you'd like to see on eBay?

dollar bin
    funk45
    psych

good music?

• I'd rather not see "funky psych" when clearly it isn't!

• Not a big fan of genres.
    For example, I can't tell the difference between 'Modern Soul' and 'Boogie'. I just call them "Classic shit that mom you used party to".

Yeah it can be kinda hard to tell them apart

Kinky Foxx "so different" = boogie

Frank Zhivago Young "stole my love" = modern

/L

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Not a big fan of genres.

But you need them, so you know what you're getting when you lay your money down at the record convention.

On the other hand, sometimes it seems like these record dealers MAKE UP genres. The word "boogie" doesn't sound RIGHT applied to some Jheri-Curled soul singer from 1983. Although I know what northern soul sounds like, the expression doesn't make sense geographically when used in the States, And I still have yet to find out what this "popcorn" business is about. I know James Brown milked the "popcorn" dance for all it was worth; I know "Popcorn" was the name of a cool synth instrumental by Hot Butter; and Jay's Ok-e Doke Cheese-Flavored Popcorn is one of the greatest junk foods you could get wasted on, but I never identified it as a music genre! What the hell is it?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    The word "boogie" doesn't sound RIGHT applied to some Jheri-Curled soul singer from 1983.

• Not a big fan of genres.

But you need them, so you know what you're getting when you lay your money down at the record convention.

On the other hand, sometimes it seems like these record dealers MAKE UP genres. The word "boogie" doesn't sound RIGHT applied to some Jheri-Curled soul singer from 1983. Although I know what northern soul sounds like, the expression doesn't make sense geographically when used in the States, And I still have yet to find out what this "popcorn" business is about. I know James Brown milked the "popcorn" dance for all it was worth; I know "Popcorn" was the name of a cool synth instrumental by Hot Butter; and Jay's Ok-e Doke Cheese-Flavored Popcorn is one of the greatest junk foods you could get wasted on, but I never identified it as a music genre! What the hell is it?

Popcorn is style of big city (not always..) soul that was popular in Belgium, it was parallel to the northern scene but smaller, it also had lots of same spins as the northern soul djs (Sam Fletcher, Bobby Bland et.c. et.c.) and also played blue-eyed soul records..

It's the same with "beach" which is an american genre but is used in Europe to describe a northern soul sound (kinda blue eyed, collegestyle-5-white-guys-and-a-black-singer type of group)

Hope this helps at least a small bit..

/L

On the other hand, sometimes it seems like these record dealers MAKE UP genres. I still have yet to find out what this "popcorn" business is about. I know James Brown milked the "popcorn" dance for all it was worth; I know "Popcorn" was the name of a cool synth instrumental by Hot Butter; and Jay's Ok-e Doke Cheese-Flavored Popcorn is one of the greatest junk foods you could get wasted on, but I never identified it as a music genre! What the hell is it?

Popcorn is style of big city (not always..) soul that was popular in Belgium, it was parallel to the northern scene but smaller, it also had lots of same spins as the northern soul djs (Sam Fletcher, Bobby Bland et.c. et.c.) and also played blue-eyed soul records..

It's the same with "beach" which is an american genre but is used in Europe to describe a northern soul sound (kinda blue eyed, collegestyle-5-white-guys-and-a-black-singer type of group)

Hope this helps at least a small bit..

Thanks. I kind of get the drift that popcorn is basically Northern soul under another name. And it must be about the records rather than the artist - I'm only mildly familiar with Sam Fletcher, but what I've heard has nothing in common with Bobby "Blue" Bland!

(BTW, I think the term "beach music" may have originated in the States, in the Carolinas where that kind of Jay & the Techniques pop-soul is really hot.)

Not a big fan of genres.

Co-sign on the above statements. The below statement shows exactly why I'm not a fan of genres...

On the other hand, sometimes it seems like these record dealers MAKE UP genres.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I love genres. I feel the need to label things.

I don't think there are enough yet.

Psychadelavator Musick

32nd Hi-Hat rap

UBB-HOP

Instrumental Brit-Hop

Progressive Ambient Animal Noise

Prague Prog

Regional One Finger Synth Dance Hop

weeeeeeeeeeeeeee

unspoken word (only the printed lyrics come in the jewel case... no cd)

• froovyfroovy 86 Posts
    evolving music genres with a general description of what the style is?
    or
    the main root taxonomy eg. r&b, rock, classical etc?

**does anyone have a link for an online music genre database??[/b]

Psychadelavator Musick

32nd Hi-Hat rap

UBB-HOP

Instrumental Brit-Hop

Progressive Ambient Animal Noise

Prague Prog

Regional One Finger Synth Dance Hop

Post MP3's or you're

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    These are genres that you will know them when you hear them. Like shiny suit brazilian music, or as we call it, Flossa-Nova.

Flossa-Nova.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    hate em

i used to keep ALL my records in ABC. period. i like it that way, but when it grew to 10Gs and I couldn't find shit. now i keep subdividiing...

when i go into DJ oriented record shops I can't help but laugh at the bizzare genres. esp. house and D&B related sub-genres

• Thanks. I kind of get the drift that popcorn is basically Northern soul under another name. And it must be about the records rather than the artist - I'm only mildly familiar with Sam Fletcher, but what I've heard has nothing in common with Bobby "Blue" Bland!

(BTW, I think the term "beach music" may have originated in the States, in the Carolinas where that kind of Jay & the Techniques pop-soul is really hot.)
    I acctually think it was partialy about the records at first and also like a style, but one that only some brits and the good people of Belgium knew.
    The Sam Fletcher song i had in mind was "i'd think it over twice" on Tollie, a northern soul classic and very big voiced, beat ballad kinda tune, if you listen to that and then play Bobby Blands "i ain't myself anymore" and then add Larry Trider "carbon copy" you might get what i'm talking about you know, stuff that sounds Vee-Jay, Kapp and such..

I've also heard people calling the beach music for "shag" music which makes me confused

Worst genre = rap metal

/L

I've also heard people calling the beach music for "shag" music which makes me confused

Not really. The shag is a dance that they've been doing in the Carolinas for years to beach music.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I don't like this word. This word stands for a division. For classification purposes, I can see how this word could be important, but this little word. Has somehow slipped into our lifestyles. I am not hip hop. I am not rock. I am a listener. I can enjoy many different styles of music.

Many artists limit themselves with this word. This lovely word that record companys force onto us. Then we further remove ourselves by making new genres. Genres to fit our needs. Is it really new though? Or has it always been. Does emo not resemble the blues. Doesn't scratching samples resemble dub? I think it does.

In fact all of music is fairly similar. It's in the approach that's taken. Who it is sold to. For some reason people just don't get that. Some people can't tell the difference between Hilary duff, and Nina simone.

Computers are a brilliant source of classification. Though they don't necessarily have to be. It is also a wonderful source of unification. In fact this message board alone is unifying people from different nations, citys, states.

My question is,"Why are people so afraid of different genres?"

People develop this old man mentality. To listen to only what they listen to. It's inherited, ingrained and permeated throughout your brains. We are all listeners. We can learn from each other.

Fuck classification. Fuck Genre.

- spidey

I wrote that in 2004 for some rock message board. Can't say I completly agree with it all now, but I still think I was onto something. People need to be more open minded.

- spidey

• I don't like this word. This word stands for a division. For classification purposes, I can see how this word could be important, but this little word. Has somehow slipped into our lifestyles. I am not hip hop. I am not rock. I am a listener. I can enjoy many different styles of music.

Many artists limit themselves with this word. This lovely word that record companys force onto us. Then we further remove ourselves by making new genres. Genres to fit our needs. Is it really new though? Or has it always been. Does emo not resemble the blues. Doesn't scratching samples resemble dub? I think it does.

In fact all of music is fairly similar. It's in the approach that's taken. Who it is sold to. For some reason people just don't get that. Some people can't tell the difference between Hilary duff, and Nina simone.

Computers are a brilliant source of classification. Though they don't necessarily have to be. It is also a wonderful source of unification. In fact this message board alone is unifying people from different nations, citys, states.

People develop this old man mentality. To listen to only what they listen to. It's inherited, ingrained and permeated throughout your brains. We are all listeners. We can learn from each other.

Fuck classification. Fuck Genre.

- spidey

I wrote that in 2004 for some rock message board. Can't say I completly agree with it all now, but I still think I was onto something. People need to be more open minded.

- spidey

BUT if we all would go after that "one genre and that's music" mentality the search pages on ebay would be nuts

But i agree, you just need to listen, really.

/L

I am a listener. I can enjoy many different styles of music.

Many artists limit themselves with this word. This lovely word that record companys force onto us. Then we further remove ourselves by making new genres. Genres to fit our needs. Is it really new though? Or has it always been. Does emo not resemble the blues.

Well, both genres are basically guys whining about their woman problems, but that's universal! Apart from that, I sure don't hear no resemblance.

Some people can't tell the difference between Hilary duff, and Nina simone.

You can like both, but recognize the difference just the same.

I'm not afraid, myself, but I know damn well that the only thing Tito Puente and Motorhead have in common is that I like them. I know that music doesn't always follow a purist line, but I'm not deluded into thinking that everybody falls into the same groove.

People need to be more open minded.

Within reason.

If all I listened to was heavy metal, I don't think I'd "get it" if somebody tried to sell me on Ella Fitzgerald.

HOWEVER...if I only listened to metal and somebody slipped me a CD of Funkadelic's first album, that would make more sense. Although they're usually in the soul section of the store, there's enough hard rock elements that a metal fan would like it.

if we all would go after that "one genre and that's music" mentality the search pages on ebay would be nuts

But i agree, you just need to listen, really.

Nothing wrong with having broad tastes, but like I probably said up top:

You sometimes NEED a classification just so you won't get burned when you're LAYING DOWN HARD-EARNED CASH at the record store.[/b] I'm not saying go and make up genres like some of these record dealers do, or go putting up walls against stuff you're not sure about, but...if you've ever bought what you thought was a deep soul record that turned out to be disco, you know what I mean!

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Loungecore. I'm sorry, but that's pure ass. I guess when I hear "core", it's always "hardcore". Not "yardcore" (cue "Sweet Honey") or anything.

Genres are interesting to a degree, but I have noticed "in the internet era" that people are inventing stuff for the sake of doing that.

Last week I came up with "ramen rap". Today, I will say "Bossa Aldo Nova". Tomorrow, "Ashlee Vocalina".