Friday Fun! Your Thoughts On???

bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
Comics: Palestine by Joe Sacco Music: ???Uptight??? soundtrack by Booker T/MGs TV: Gilmour Girls Ride: The new Mustang that???s all jacked up to look like an old Mustang Movies: Punch-Drunk Love Lifestyle: People over 19 with visible neck hickeys

Comments

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    Comics: Palestine by Joe Sacco

I'll just comment on this one - fucking incredible. The combination of the text and the drawings really gives you a sense of what it must have looked like. Won the pulitzer prize, didn't it? His Balkan book, Safe Area Gorazde, is also incredible, and really useful if you've ever found yourself wondering about what happened over there. It's also less depressing than the Palestine book because at least the Balkan war ended. I finished the Palastine book last year and realized that nothing's changed - and the book was written in 1992!

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

Ride: The new Mustang that???s all jacked up to look like an old Mustang

looks all right i guess but it's tough to top the og.

Movies: Punch-Drunk Love

loved it. great soundtrack, adam sandler actually acts, holds up for me on multiple viewings.

Lifestyle: People over 19 with visible neck hickeys

they should be punished with the utmost severity.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Music: ???Uptight??? soundtrack by Booker T/MGs

A dude singing "Johnny, I love you"? AYO!

This movie's strange and great.

I guess the kids in marching band DO grow up. Not a good look AT ALL.

Reminds me of my wife coming home from her first week working at her old job at Juilliard, talking about how all these kids had HUGE hickeys. Turns out they were violin students who practiced a lot. neck =

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts

sounds like a book i might read. its a comic book, right?

i like it. im not crazy about it, but i like it. this was the first blaxplo record i owned.

TV: Gilmour Girls

never really got into it. mom and daughter who are best friends. honestly i think this sets a bad precedent for american family values. i mean, im not knocking the single parent household, but the whole "best friends" thing doesnt sit right with me.

yeah, im not crazy about it.

its ok.

uh, crink is older than 19.

• hans_lucashans_lucas 159 Posts

This looks real intriguing. If I spotted this at a friend's place I would read it. In the choice between records and comics, records always win out for me.

Got this. It's good. One of the half dozen or so Booker T & the MGs records I decided to hang onto.

Don't even know what this is. Don't even want to know.

I disliked Boogie Nights and despised Magnolia, so I didn't give this a chance. Others have told me I should.

Hasn't been a problem for me in 5 years.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Uptight - the cover is better than the record.

Mustang- just buy an old one

Hickeys - this is getting out of control!!!!! it's just amazing when I see this. what are people thinking? I didn't even want one of these in high school. I see a lot of these and they are gross. it doesn't make me think your "getting some". I even saw a COPS where the cops responded to a domestic abuse and had to ask the lady "did he grab your neck or is that a hickey?" "it's a hickey"

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

i think it looks weird and wrong

i think it looks weird and wrong

Yea, it's still looks like some BMW rip off sedan.

Even worse....I think it's SCION that has this new car that you can get all these pre made "custom parts". The comercial acts like it the coolest thing and you'll be so original and different. Like everyone isn't going to get the same parts.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    1. Haven't heard of that comic.
    2. I think that record sucks to be honest with you. I'll pick it up cheap for the shop cuz little dudes get tricked by the cool cover and will spend 15 bucks on it.
    3. I'm kind of embarrassed to admit it but I watch the Gilmore Girls weekly with my girlfriend cause it's her favorite show. She has that show taped if she misses it, shes gung ho about it. I've grown to really like a lot of the characters- Lane, Sookie, Luke and my favorite Kirk. What a weirdo. However I hate Emily, Paris and that little bitch Michel with a passion. Like I cringe when any of them are on the screen. Anyway I could really ramble about the Gilmore Girls so I'll just spare you.
    4.That Mustang is one fuggin ugly car. I'd rather have a bunch of raers than that monstrosity of a vehicle.
    5.Punch Drunk Love- I absolutely love this movie, I wish Adam Sandler would be in more intelligent movies more often. Saw it in the theatre, own the DVD. Theres some great tunes in that movie, that one hawaiian song is killer. Also that "he needs me" song. Theres an extra outake on the dvd of the mattress man commercial thats funny as hell. Phillip Seymour Hoffman jumps off of a roof onto a mattress thats on top of a van. Only he bites it and lands on the cement. Can anyone help post a link to that ish?
    6. ask the polish prince about the time he got a dick hickey.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

[color:green]Comics: Palestine by Joe Sacco[/color]
    Incredible is right: heart-wrenching, sad, funny, maddening, beautiful and totally human.

[color:green]Music: ???Uptight??? soundtrack by Booker T/MGs[/color]
    I love this. I will never tire of "Cleveland Now" going into "Children Don't Get Weary".

[color:green]TV: Gilmour Girls[/color]
    There are not enough words for how much I despise this. I've never seen a full epsiode and I hope to never have to.

[color:green]Ride: The new Mustang that???s all jacked up to look like an old Mustang[/color]
    Boring.

[color:green] Movies: Punch-Drunk Love[/color]
    Adam Sandler rules. I am a sister to a brother and I learned how not to be.

[color:green] Lifestyle: People over 19 with visible neck hickeys [/color]
    I put this down because the dude (late 20's) who handed me my coffee today had one and it made my stomach turn.(I am not uptight about these things, I just think some stuff should stay in the bedroom/livingroom/backseat, or under the collar at least)

• djrdjr 511 Posts

my wife loves the show.....I don't know how anyone can sit through it. The acting is horrible.

I don't think it's that bad. I'd rather have an original, but this model is the best it's looked since the 60s.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    up tight soundtrack is dope....
    chillllllldrrrren dont get weeeeeeeearyyyy