should you slap your dog?

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
i'm training my dog using positive rewards, but she's just not getting some shit. is ok to whoop the fuck out of her every now and then? especially if i want her the eat motherfuckers when they come in our yard. i don't think you can do that with treats and saying "good girl."

Comments

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Just hit it with a rolled up newspaper or something. Some people also shake like a can of pennies and the dogs get scared. Using your hand or kicking the dog is not advised because they will learn not to trust you. Just alternate between spoiling the fucker when it's good and yelling and/or ignoring it when it's bad.

• Dogs respond really well to vocal cues. If you are a good yeller and you want to show the dog whats up yell at her, don't hit her. Only yell when you are upset though otherwise the poor dog will just be really confused.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    Yeah the sudden loud noise usually works well, especially if they're young. We never hit our pooch, if you train them right you won't have to.

And as someone said above, keep in mind that negative attention is still attention and sometimes just ignoring them will work wonders (more for barking and stuff like that, not if they're eating your cell phone or something).

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    I've heard a light tap on the nose is good.

Never rub your dogs face in its accidents though. That is by all accounts.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    that's cool, but what about attack training?

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    i wouldn't do it. i think some dogs freak out and piss themselves when you hit them. a friend a mine adopted a dog that must have been smacked around cause when you make any sudden movements or a loud noise, the dog straight pisses himself

• Is this a parody of how mean people treat their pets?

• First you have to teach them not to bite!

This is done by mimicking puppies. Whenever they put their teeth on you, give out a loud high pitch yelp, it's encoded into them to ease off instinctively.

For potty training you have to take them outside soooooo often that they never have a chance to even go inside. Like every 15 minutes when they are awake, and as soon ask they get up, and just soooo often that they never ever go in the house, this is hell if you???re employed, but goes by quick as they also grow quick.

If you teach them how to eat people your very likely looking at a lawsuit and getting yourself bit.

Your right that positive reinforcement can???t work for everything, even the top dog in the pack uses aggressive behavior to get the desired behavior. However smacking them on the nose (not the ass cuz they turn around and bite - plus you???d have to use more force than if you get???em on the nose) along with a loud NO! works just as good as a proper beat down, and that is just cruel and unnecessary. They are affected enough by knowing that you???re disappointed in them, because they want to please you. Dogs really are mans BEST friend.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    Definitely don't hit her, she won't know what it means. If she's only a puppy it will just take time. My dog was quite boisterous as a puppy, but now she is the most gentle, caring dog I've ever had. There must be some things she doesn't like. With my dog it used to be a tap on the nose with a rolled up newspaper, squirt with a waterpistol, smell of a strong mint (!), or the fizz from a can of juice (!!!) I don't know how anyone could strike a defenceless animal, please don't do that.

• Never rub your dogs face in its accidents though. That is by all accounts.

This actually works very well however.

• Disagree, strongly, however only pop'em on the nose if you catch them, it won't work if your even a moment removed from the problem. You have to catch them in the act. This however can change as they get older and smarter, but by then you don't need to smack them because they'll hear the disappointment in your voice when you look at them and say BAD.

Let me point out thow, that you don't use force to smack them. Hitting any harder than is necessary to suprise them is like someone yelling a foreign language at you louder because you didn't get it the first time.

Consistent between you and your girl is key also.

Training, or expecting your dog to attack is no reason to get a dog, imho.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Punch that dog in the fucking face like a shark.

• sup fatback!

i say beat the shit out of your dog. then in 5 years when your dog attacks some small baby and tears its face off and you go to jail we can all sit around and laugh about the time you asked if you should slap your dog.

oh i cant wait!

oh wait

if we all still here in 5 years i guess the jokes on us.

post of the day.

I got her trained to shit/pee outside pretty easy. She doesn't bite either. She already knows how to sit, stay, walk on a leash and she doesn't beg while we eat. SHe's 1/2 german shepard, so I'm noticing that she is super fucking smart. I should probably take her to training school. Has anyone used a dog training school? Are they worth it? We're looking at like $150.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

LOL

i think i've been here over 4 years.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    Yep, I should have pointed that out about the timing.

Schools are definitely worth it if dogs are going to be a big part of your life. You might be able to find someone local who doesn't advertise however, for much cheaper than what you mentioned. We had a friend who was really experienced with working dogs, and she just ran her own small scale thing. It worked a treat for us, we only had to go about 2 or 3 times.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    the last time i saw someone hit their dog i smacked him three times across the face until he fell back against the wall... as he stared at me confused as fuck i asked him how he liked it? and then i walked away... its the only thing that really still makes me mad since i started taking medication for my anger. but trust me, ill stick someone in the jaw if i ever see them hitting their dog.

get some training for the dog... $150 isnt too bad. out here it can be twice that for just the basic training. its going to take time but in the end, if your dog can walk on its own and stop on a dime when you say so, then its worth it.

ive been with four different dog breeds during training and i highly recommend it.

ive been with four different dog breeds during training and i highly recommend it.

uh.... ayo?

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    Has anyone used a dog training school? Are they worth it? We're looking at like $150.

i went when i first got my dog. it was more for me than for him, to be honest. it definitely helped me out, but it sounds like you got a lot of the basics down.

dont hit the dog, but a little pop lets em know they are not doing something good. but only if you catch them right when they do it. as mentioned above. and only if it is something really bad. vocal commands should do the trick most of the time.

i actually try and catch my dog when he looks like he is thinking of doing something wrong. like, if he sticks his head near the trash can i say no before he even has a chance to swipe something out of it. he knows its wrong and stops. until i leave, then he goes and swipes whatever it was. fucker.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    i'm training my dog using positive rewards, but she's just not getting some shit. is ok to whoop the fuck out of her every now and then? especially if i want her the eat motherfuckers when they come in our yard. i don't think you can do that with treats and saying "good girl."

Don't hurt him, but a little physical intimidation is almost necessary to train a dog. Don't feel bad, it will only make your dog fear/respect you so in the long run you won't need to do anything except raise your voice for him/her to obey you.

If you're not up for that a water spray bottle works to instill that fear.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Smack My Bitch Up - all day.

• ive been with four different dog breeds during training and i highly recommend it.

uh.... ayo?

the last time i saw someone be with 1 breed of dog (let alone 4) i bent him over a park bench smacked him three times across the asscheeks until he fell back against the wall... as he stared at me confused as fuck i asked him how he liked it? and then i walked away...

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts

Jeez, I couldn't have said it better - BTW Dizzy, you've been on a roll lately........

• Options
    ... try not to alienate yourself from your dog so much
    Slap your dog at stratigically appropiate times while it is impressionable....times that will produce an association between a disliked, negative punishment and a vocal tone/command. Take the love and devotion he/she already has and grow it. Never scold the animal enough to make him/her lose respect. Be consistent and thoughtful and one day you will have a dog that is extremely responsive even to the most indiscrete orders.

wait disreguard that...

Jeez, I couldn't have said it better - BTW Dizzy, you've been on a roll lately........

I have the eye of the tiger.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Jackie says "No Punch... Love!!!"

a water spray bottle works to instill that fear.

not this dog. i tried that and she was like "cool (waging her tail) spray me again!"