The Music of Miles Davis Setlist from last nite

hendravishendravis 689 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
was a very relaxed settin at the Fox valley Permforming Arts Center in Appleton WIthe line up was:Eddie Henderson - TrumpetJimmy Cobb - Drums (KIND OF BLUE!!!) Wayne Escoffrey - tenor saxaphoneDave Kikoski - pianoAntonio Hart - alto saxaphoneEdward Howard - BassSet 1 So What On Green Dolphin StreetStraight No ChaserOld Fooks Footprints15 minute intermissionSet 2 All BluesWell You Need ItAutumn LeavesGingerbread Boythis was an amazing thing to experience.. nothing like a classy jazz show in the middle of the week to take you away from your daily life.These came out from begining till end and just blew my mind by how tight they sounded. Eddie henderson did a grate job at filling in for Miles in his own way but yet still reminisint to the way miles playedif anyone else heard anything about these guys playing check it out at all costs...im feelin good today maybe ill post some miles tracks in honor of the grate show i seen last nite...

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    does Cobb still have it?

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    these dudes are playing in MI near me but I think I'm gonna miss it...which is too bad because Cobb is one of the remaining living legends of that era. I've heard he's still got it.

here's my dream concert:

Sonny Rollins
    Tommy Flannagin
    Reggie Workman
    Max Roach

and...

Jackie McLean
    Freddie Hubbard
    Ron Carter
    McCoy Tyner
    Roy Haynes

• does Cobb still have it?

Yeah He Def Still Has IT
    in one of the last songs he took a 3-4 minute drum solo that was just off the hook then he braught back into the next song and then the bass kicked in and we were rolling again ! amaaazing

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,902 Posts
    "Still got it?"

Musicians get better with age... unless they f*ck themselves up completely. Remember how Chet Baker looked before he popped his clogs?

One dude asked Chet how come his face was sooooooooo wrinkled.

"These are laughter lines." replied Chet.

"Nothing is *that* funny!" the dude replied.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    these dudes are playing in MI near me but I think I'm gonna miss it...which is too bad because Cobb is one of the remaining living legends of that era. I've heard he's still got it.

It's a blessing that we still got some of these guys around who are still alive and kicking enough to pass on their experiences as active performers. Cobb just turned 77 january 20th. What's even more amazing is that Yusuf Lateef played a concert here at the newly built royal opera house for The Copenhagen Jazz Festival last summer. He is 85 years old and still playing. Unfortunately tickets sold out quickly, and I didn't get any . I was told that the concert was fantastic and that Lateef was still blowing fire.

I saw a documentary about him a couple of months ago called "Brother Yusef" that was filmed in 2005. Just him talking about his music and philosophies, reading his poetry and playing his sax and flutes in his home. He just seemed like a deeply spiritual and peaceful man. Of course his physical shell shows signs of his age, but his soul seemed as strong as ever. He had the kind of monolithic presence and calm that only people who are totally at peace with themselves have.

Thinking about what these legends and others like the recently deceased Rawls and Pickett have created for the world to enjoy makes talking about who bit Project Blowed or who is more connected to the streets on an internet message board seem really insignificant. So much dumb shit on here today???

• these dudes are playing in MI near me but I think I'm gonna miss it...which is too bad because Cobb is one of the remaining living legends of that era. I've heard he's still got it.

It's a blessing that we still got some of these guys around who are still alive and kicking enough to pass on their experiences as active performers. Cobb just turned 77 january 20th. What's even more amazing is that Yusuf Lateef played a concert here at the newly built royal opera house for The Copenhagen Jazz Festival last summer. He is 85 years old and still playing. Unfortunately tickets sold out quickly, and I didn't get any . I was told that the concert was fantastic and that Lateef was still blowing fire.

I saw a documentary about him a couple of months ago called "Brother Yusef" that was filmed in 2005. Just him talking about his music and philosophies, reading his poetry and playing his sax and flutes in his home. He just seemed like a deeply spiritual and peaceful man. Of course his physical shell shows signs of his age, but his soul seemed as strong as ever. He had the kind of monolithic presence and calm that only people who are totally at peace with themselves have.

Thinking about what these legends and others like the recently deceased Rawls and Pickett have created for the world to enjoy makes talking about who bit Project Blowed or who is more connected to the streets on an internet message board seem really insignificant. So much dumb shit on here today???

77??!! he sure he didnt look it, he looked like he was in his early 50's maybe becus his smile detracted twenty something years! the man was beaming