Andrew White - what's the deal?

m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
I've passed up on his solo albums on his own imprint Andrew's Music a coupla times, most recently two weeks ago. I know he is a tenor saxophonist, and he transcribed all of John Coltranes sax solos (phew!), but he also played electric bass with Stevie Wonder, The Fifth Dimension and Weather Report. Has anyone got the lowdown on his solo ish or additional information? Did I miss out?

Comments

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    He's got braeks. This much I know.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    In jeopardy form: Q: Andrew White. A: Who got de funk?

• nickjnickj 53 Posts

Yeah, he's done transcriptions of like 500+ Coltrane solos (I'm pretty sure), covering pretty much everything dude ever played on. I had no idea about his electric bass work, though.

He's also on these two:

• He's local to my area, he's from Silver spring MD. I have "Who got de Fonk"
    which comes in a white sleeve. Its pretty much a one tracker, IMO. I just traded my spare. There is also a 45 of that song around. The other one I've heard of is Fonk Update, which is from like 81 and has drums too. Between 20 and 50 bucks on each I think.

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts
    He's local to my area, he's from Silver spring MD. I have "Who got de Fonk"
    which comes in a white sleeve. Its pretty much a one tracker, IMO. I just traded my spare. There is also a 45 of that song around. The other one I've heard of is Fonk Update, which is from like 81 and has drums too. Between 20 and 50 bucks on each I think.

i have a who got the funk lp if someone needs one

• MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
    It got breaks but I feel their a little over rated worth 1-15 to me, then again I don't pay much for records unless it's A Joe Pass with burning spear or somthing. Then again I'll pay someone to let me do push-ups in front of them...

• I'd put my own value closer to what you said than what I've seen them go for, which is like 25-30 at shows and 50 on the web. Its OK, but 50 bucks? There are
    fuckloads of records beter than this one for 50 bucks.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    check yr pm's

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts
    Those two JFK Riverside jawns are my shit.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    I Djed a house party last year in Rockville that he was at with his wife. He complimented me on my set. Had no idea who he was til after he left. Nice guy.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Did I miss out?

His Live At The Foolery: Volume One album on Andrew's Music isn't that great (poor sound quality [amongst other things]); you're better off just buying Coltrane's Impressions or something like that.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Now I actually went and bought the last one I saw. It was called "Passion Flower" and it has Kevin Toney and Keith Killgo from the Blackbyrds on piano and drums. OK progressive jazz a la Coltrane but nothing exceptional. Guess you were right.

• I prefer "Fonk Update". Holler if you need one...I got some "Who Got De Funk" 45s too.

regards
    j

• Those two JFK Riverside jawns are my[/b] shit... Nikki Poo for days

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    I remember a couple years back that "fonk update" was going for $50+ - which it is not worth. It should be going for much less now. I copped mine for $7 a while ago.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    I prefer "Fonk Update". Holler if you need one...I got some "Who Got De Funk" 45s too.

regards
    j
    might be tryin to holler at one. will PM soon

• phono13phono13 842 Posts

How's this?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Always behooves me how struters can be so jaded. Fonk Update is about as much fun as a jazz band can have with a funk tune. I think it's great. Private press (large quantities released to the public in recent years) big ass break, all around nice piece.

For those who have not heard it, and those who sold theirs because they are so jaded take a listen

As for his modern jazz records that I have heard, and the solo piano one, I'm not into those to much. But, to tell the truth, I don't slap on Coltrane just for fun to often either.

Dan

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Always behooves me how struters can be so jaded. Fonk Update is about as much fun as a jazz band can have with a funk tune. I think it's great. Private press (large quantities released to the public in recent years) big ass break, all around nice piece.

Dan

Yes!!!! I think people expect too much because of the title. I was happy with my $35 copy SEALED!!! I don't play it every week, but I'm not getting rid of it. Plus, the guy used to slang the records at his shows. Let's here it for the original private press slang game. Master P got nuthin on Andrew (well maybe a few million more dollars). The sound quality isn't that bad, but it may dissapoint some. Heck I'm listening to a $50 George Harrasment LP and it sounds like it was done in a tin can. Cool music, but the bass end is nowhere to be found. Same with Soul Patrol records.