Sideways: (movie/late-pass related)

hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
edited May 2005 in Off Topic (NRR)
Just saw this movie on DVD tonight. Fucking radd, dude!I've been a fan of Thomas Haden Church since "wings". Good to see him in a good flick.

Comments

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    "Sideways"?? Is that a movie about Richie Rich, E-40 and/or the Hobo Junction? I gotta peep that.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Word; I watched this movie a few weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    nope. It's about wine-tasting & it's potential hazards.

radd! Good to see that you get some new releases at the compound...

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

Yeah, I watch a movie every once and a while; I generally don't like to overload the senses with too much input and risk throwing off my homeostasis.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Good but over-hyped movie.

What I love about "Sideways" though is how merlot sales went down by 2% and pinot noir sales went up by 18% (not to mention the Santa Barbara winery region has been doing huge business from tourists on "Sideways" tours).

"I'm not drinking any fucking merlot!"

Yeah, I watch a movie every once and a while; I generally don't like to overload the senses with too much input and risk throwing off my homeostasis.

I feel ya. Since giving my TV to the girlfriend when she moved, I watch once a week now. I'm happy this way. and, I must admit, I find the sound of Televison jarring now. It puts me on edge. But, seeing a movie like this makes me grateful for it. And, I still manage to watch "the OC". It's like an mc escher drawing; I'm watching the OC in the OC!

Good but over-hyped movie.

I'd not heard of it. but, oh yeah, I don't have a TV. My Psychologist told me to see it, actually.

• Diamante_DDiamante_D 215 Posts
    I thought it was an ok film, but seemed like a pretty standard middle-class midlife crisis thing to me. I honestly didn't think that Paul Giamatti had the cohones to carry the lead in that film (or any other film for that matter), to me he's a bit part player or cameo dude at best.

That stat about Melot/Pinot sales is probably the funniest thing about the whole movie though.

• jaybreeziejaybreezie 161 Posts
    I thought that movie was hilarious. Obsessive wine nerdiness and obsessive record collecting nerdiness are some parallel ass shit!

• Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts
    My mom just picked the DVD up at Sam's Club tonight so I might watch it sometime. It's probably a decent movie but it got so much goddamn hype from the critics that I was scared off by it when it was in theaters. I'm usually pretty wary of anything that the critics hype up to no end even before it's out. That's true not just of movies but music as well. Anytime a magazine like Spin hypes up bands/musicians relentlessly that I've never heard of, a white flag automatically goes up in my head. But, I like Paul Giamatti and Thomas Haden Church so I'll give "Sideways" a whirl. I imagine it's a decent movie but it can't possibly live up to all the hype the critics gave it. I hope my non-drinking ass even understands what the hell they're talking about when they're discussing all the wine though.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Uhh - I watched the first 15 minutes of this movie and fell out.

Boring ass intro...

Should I cue it back up, or send it back to Netflix?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Dope movie. Paul Giamatti can do no wrong. Since when do people on soulstrut listen to critics?

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    My wife and I watched it on vacation. I dug it a lot. She liked it a little less. Great performances by Giamatti and Haden Church.

• I thought it was an ok film, but seemed like a pretty standard middle-class midlife crisis thing to me.

Yeah, I kinda felt the same way. We saw it at the theatre for my girls birthday and while at times sharp and funny, I was like "great, another movie about slacker white dudes having to grow up". Personally I just don't find the problems of the upper middle class in America endlessly fascinating. It just seemed too intellectual, like a movie about aging California coffee house artsy guys for aging California coffee house artsy guys.

My girl really liked it, talked shit about the actor character and what a motherfucker he was the whole ride home. Me? I liked it when dude got the shit kicked out of him by the motorcycle lady. That was cool.

Bonus points for a Bukowski reference.

Deep beats and deep crates,
    SonicReducer
    (TEAMAARON)

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Boring ass intro...

Yes, give it another go....slow does not always = boring, although in today's media world it seems the two have come to mean the same thing. It's quite funny, and the obsessive quality of Giamatti's character's life should resonate with anyone reading this board.

My wife and I actually watched it at home together, a rare event since she slips off to sleep even in the theatres. A solid movie.

I liked "Election" (directed by the same dude) better though, but Sideways is at least a nose ahead of About Schmidt.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I thought it was an ok film, but seemed like a pretty standard middle-class midlife crisis thing to me.

Yeah, I kinda felt the same way. We saw it at the theatre for my girls birthday and while at times sharp and funny, I was like "great, another movie about slacker white dudes having to grow up". Personally I just don't find the problems of the upper middle class in America endlessly fascinating. It just seemed too intellectual, like a movie about aging California coffee house artsy guys for aging California coffee house artsy guys.

I guess I liked the fact that the characters were professional, reasonably successful guys, and not complete stereotypes. But I agree, "middle age crazy" movies are usually not my cup of tea. But Sideways was funny enough and strayed well off most of the cliches it veered towards, so I thought it was pretty successful in that regard. The characters all seemed like real people, with maybe Virgina Madsen getting a bit of a short shrift, she seemed more like a handy plot device.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    I fucking loved this movie. It's on some "Annie Hall" level of brilliance and poignancy (not to mention comedy) as far as I'm concerned.

-e

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    I fucking loved this movie. It's on some "Annie Hall" level of brilliance and poignancy[/b] (not to mention comedy) as far as I'm concerned.

-e

Excellent choice of words. It had a bittersweet edge to it that I liked a lot.
    Best scene is Miles sneaking into the house to steal back the wallet...

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
    just like Alexander Payne previous movie (something abt Schmidth with Jack Nicholson)

I watched it ,at the time when it was released........it is beautifully shot and has great performances .......but I think the director is responsible for the whole goodness of the movie....

I mean it's the case that when the director has good taste and the critics simply noted that

...I also think it's fast paced for that kind of movie..........

and I feel like seeing the beauty of the 2 ladies

• As long as this doesn't have KATHY BATES NAKED, I will probbly enjoy it more than About Scmidt.

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts

Boring ass intro...

send it back, i was really disapointed in this movie for the amount of hype it got, to me it was completly average and i don't think i cracked a smile once through the whole flick, same goes for about schmit, which i thought was a "comedy", about schmit only depressed me and sideways was just really blah, and i do like paul givoniwhatever but he couldn;t make this film work for me

oscar nomination worthy, never, but most of the movies that were nominateed were crap

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    i wasn't really feeling this one either. Perhaps too much hype thrown at me... got bored with wine metaphors and over-sentimental spiritual connections over wine. i did like when girl busted the dude's head w/ her helmet.

the amount of young folks now ordering pinot noir is absurd down here. there was a news story a while back interviewing wine stores in the area about their sales and all mentioned the "Sideways factor."

some funny material in there, but overall bleh.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    got my late pass here too. I liked it quite a bit and I don't give a shit if the midlife white crisis theme is played, the only gauge I use to evaluate a film is my watch. If I look down at my watch to see how much time has elapsed, I'm obviously bored and the movie is not doing it's job which is to entertain. I didn't look down once and even paused it to take a whiz. The whole time I was rooting for both dudes to get laid and I loved the Hayden Tom Church character and how he was willing to roll with "Two Tons of Fun." The car into the tree got me too.

Obsessive wine nerdiness and obsessive record collecting nerdiness are some parallel ass shit!

I thought about this too. I was kinda embarrased.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Sideways is on my all time list. T.H.Church stole the show just like he did on Ned and Stacy. Winos Unite.

I loved the Hayden Tom Church character and how he was willing to roll with "Two Tons of Fun."

haha!!!

that was when I knew it was a great movie, rather than just a good movie.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    it's pretty good, but it does not hold up that well with repeated viewings.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    I found this movie wack as fuck. I was able to overlook the fact that Paul Giamatti's character was just a collection of neuroses that never really go anywhere (look at the gravity given to the scene where he takes money from his mom; nothing ever comes of it), and I was even able to overlook the fact that Virginia Madsen (my crush from the wayback, word to Wayne Wang) only existed as a dewy-eyed sounding board for same (how her role in this movie was supposed to prove that there are still good parts for women is beyond me), but all the shit with Thomas Haden Church was fucking reprehensible. Clearly, his tearful breakdown scene is supposed to be some kind of uber-redemptive money shot, but all of his worst behavior is winked at and hedged; the script is too chicken-shit to let him be truly despicable. I mean, his fucking around with the married waitress for no good reason is supposed to represent some sort of rock-bottom transgression, the lowest of the low, but a few scenes later, she's having sex with her husband and admitting that she actually enjoyed fucking around, and the husband is excited by it, so Church's ostensibly horrible betrayal of his fiancee really just ends up just being some no-harm-no-foul, boys-will-be-boys shit. The whole thing felt like Porky's sympathy-fucking The Graduate, but lacking the honesty of either one. A real ugly way to grow two hours older.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I like drinking wine and I am a big fan of "bittersweet" in general, uber (soulstrut slang of lore) recommendation from me.

About the middle age crisis deal............it's a common occurance, a reality many people will deal with or have. I gravitate towards movies which resemble life, that's probably why I liked this so much. Whereas a lot of people see movies as an escape from their everyday dull routine. They don't need to see shit reminding them of their insecurities and problems. That's why mindless action blockbusters w/ neat tidy endings do well well at the box office. People prefer closure, so they can wrap it up and not think about things after they've finished watching. I on the other hand love open endings, because rarely do things end completely in life.

My favourite moment is Giamatti using pinoit noir grapes as a metaphor in describing himself to Madsen.