question for the strutters of soul

djbrigidopedjbrigidope 166 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
so the topic has probably been beaten to death. if it's been discussed and i missed it im sorry and it didnt come up when i searched for it. but im asking about the moralistic implications of serato and the art of djing. *groans and eyerolls im sure.....but strutters, i gather, take alot of time and pride in their record collections. so if in a few years go by and EVERYONE is on serato, doesnt that make your collections(ad the work to put them together) sort of irrelevant? granted that you could say that any dj worth his or her salt would just put in the elbow grease... but what about all the other cats. those who would take shortcuts. those who, in 10 years, may be in fact, flossing all their mp3 raers. i mean, let's say two djs are of the same skill, have the same songs in their mp3 libraries... and rock the crowd the same way... is the dj who goes home to the rows of expedits chock full of the vinyls to the mp3s he just played better than the dj who downloaded his library off limewire and goes home to his celebrity girlfriend who got him the gig?*low blow yes i know. (are celebrity djs strutters?)but who in the audience could tell?ok yes. some of you probably know i work at a record store.... so you may be thinking im biased since wax is quite literally my business... but im thinking of djing as djing as entertaining people as an art. i mean as a dj... someone who appreciates djing.. i get something out of knowing that the record im listening to cant just be found anywhere... that this dj set is special because these djs are bringing a sound not easily replicated. some may argue that you still have to know WHAT to download, but i dont think it's unrealistic to say that someone crafty enough could steal, say, jazzy jeff, spinna, or bobbito's digital crates. what is a good dj? to me? someone with some good music.. maybe something i havent heard or havent found... can put it together to form a good ride probably coupled with clean if not tricky and clean mixing. i think it's way easier to learn to flare and loop than to find some dope records. so if you don't have to "find" dope records.... what's next?and i dont mean to be the old guy in the back of the club screaming out that the dj isnt keeping it real... that compilation records and crossfaders with short cut in's arent keeping it real. i mean harder isnt necessarily better. i have a friend who was djing out of the country, and because of the lowered weight allowances (50 pounds), he was paying 300-400 bucks just to get his records in and out of the US. i mean in that instance serato would have PAYED for itself... not to mention it's useability in the studio... btu he insists on sticking to the vinyl... and rane is a great company that puts out quality, well thought out products... i have alot of friends how have and use serato and im definitely not trying to put anyone down... please dont take it as that....so i suppose this is a more or less rhetorical question...but what happens to djs when everyone is on serato?

Comments