Sampler question (Alesis Related)

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
I'm transcribing an interview where someone is talking about having used an Alesis HS-16 back in the day but from what I can tell, there is no HS-16. There is, however, an HR-16. Just a slip of the tongue?

Comments

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Yes, popular sequencer back in the day.

IMG SRC=http://www.denhaku.com/r_box/hr16/hr16.jpg>
    IMG SRC=http://www.denhaku.com/r_box/hr16/hr16rear.jpg>

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    If I remember right, Diamond D made all of his classic beats using one of those as a sequencer.

• There was also a later slightly later model the HR-16B which had slightly different sounds and was black(I had one in the distant past). Alesis also made a stand alone sequencer the MMT-8 which looked just like the HR without the drum pads.

• chasechase 767 Posts
    I always wondered what was speical about this machine, there where other sequencers around at the time, everyone (hip hop dudes) seems to talk about using this one.

• If I remember right, Diamond D made all of his classic beats using one of those as a sequencer.

Phil: interesting side note for a homie: so did JoRun. He had this rolan sampler with like 5 seconds, and flipped it like a madman!

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    If I remember right, Diamond D made all of his classic beats using one of those as a sequencer.

Phill[/b]: interesting side note for a homie: so did JoRun. He had this rolan sampler with like 5 seconds, and flipped it like a madman!

Yeah, I think I remember him telling me about that set up he had. That dude has been a BEAST on the beats for a looooooong-ass time.... more people need to know about him, for real.

• CaMKIIaCaMKIIa 269 Posts
    I always wondered what was speical about this machine, there where other sequencers around at the time, everyone (hip hop dudes) seems to talk about using this one.

nothing exceptional about this machine, except that it was really common back in the day. pretty much every industrial band of that era (i.e. a;grumh, nitzer ebb, front line assembly) used one as well...not so much a hip hop thing as it's the fact that the machine was pretty intuitive, reasonably priced and also (if i recall correctly) had available expansion roms to allow a greater variety of sounds.