east/west coast poplock-$?? in NYC/Cali+new mix CD!

smallchangesmallchange 202 Posts
edited January 2006 in Announcements
??Hola strutters! Uncle $?? with s'more acid laced candy to hand out to y'all...remember to share with your parents!table of (mis)contents:(count off the numbers aka Gil Scott-Heron)1/2-->my mix 'Soundclash' is out and about...grab it ala L'trimm.uno--> It goes up to 11!dos--> Nublu tonight!tres--> cali dates...1/2--> ??Soundclash!'This a sound of de Soundclash/and we win the competition...'My 1st properly distributed mix, will smokin' artwerk by 'Smoke Douglas', is out on the streets. In NYC, czeck Other Music and Turntablelab, and being distributed by Kajmere on the left coast. Link here...66(!) crackly 45s and 12s mixed with loving imperfection and the usual sound efx. A musical concentration of all things Jamaican, or JA inspired. From vintage and modern dancehall to the heaviest dubs, Jamaican funk and disco covers, reggae samplin' hip hop 12"s, classic ska sides and rare 2-Tone, vintage and modern ragga jungle, turntablist ska tracks and even dancehall singers doing opera. Musical murderation of the past, present and future. 66(!) tracks in all. Some real classics, and some real obscurities. Some real music. What a concept, eh? Anyways cop one and you'll be supporting the $?? foundation for record addiction.uno--> ??It Goes Up to 11!Rico 'Man from Wareika' Blue Note LPGeneral Degree 'Mr. Do It Nice' Mad House 12"Noonday Underground 'Self Assembly' Guide LPBanda Uniao Black 's/t' Commonfolk LPSoft House Company 'A Little Piano' Irma 12"Dreem Teem 'The Theme (Dub Vocal Mix)' Legato 12"Electric Mind 'Summing Up (Inst.)' Good Vibes 12"Babs Gonzales 'Tales of Manhattan' Jaro LPJay Z 'Streets is Watching' Def Jam/Rockafella 12"Blackrock 'The New York City Bump' Blackrock 7"Johnny Osbourne 'Lend Me Your 16' Studio 1 7"dos--> Nublu!So tonight I'm spinning at Nublu. Its turned into a nice lil' thing, and will be happening every Tues from now on. Justin aka Cocoa Cracker Brown spends way too much time in the place (he runs the Nublu label during the day) but is beautiful peephole and critical darlings of the moment Kudu kick it live week in/out.People get the fuck down to anything, leave the hits at home. Ever seen 'They Live' with a memorable performance by Rowdy Rowdy Piper? Well to me, NYC today is invaded by aliens and brainwashed mofos, but at Nublu we put on the special shades and see what's truly up. The dancefloor resembles that fight scene in the alley. Camel Clutches and people jumping from the ropes. We're trying to dismantle the transmitter people, help us bring it down, this insane thing, insane thing.Kudu Live + DJs $mall ??hange and Cocoa Cracker BrownTuesdaze at Nublu (Tonight, 1/24)Ave. C btw 4th and 5th, East side of the street, look for the blue light.10:30pm on, $5 covertres--> cali dates...also, heading out to the Left Coast to hang with the rents and terrorize some folks musically out thurr. I don't know putting 'terrorize' in an email has put me on a Bush watch list, but if any NSA folks are reading this, you're more than welcome to come by as well! Have a drink on duty, I'm sure Bush is these days! Actually got some nice tings gwan so read and rock, rock on....We start with a good, real mexican meal. Don't worry I'm bringing my Beano, ok? You smell what I'm saying? Just be careful when you approach the DJ booth with a bad request, you might get 'crop dusted'. But no trip to Cali is not complete with some real salsa and some real deal funk/hip hop/reggae/disco/whatever, and I can think of no better place then the Root Down. An LA institution, going on like 5,6,7 years or some shit, always happening, one of my favorite places to play. Last time I was there I was dropping old school electro classics while some OG KDAY DJ was in the house vibing...don't get much realer than that. Be sure to collect their 'trading card' flyers.Root Downw/ Miles, Dusk, Wyatt Case, Losilito, Sloe Poke, Charles Raggio+$mall ??hange and Shakey@ Little Temple4519 Santa Monica Blvd, LAThursday 1/26 9pm-2amSunday from 2pm-4pm me and the missus head to Irvine, the pumping heart of the Orange Curtain, known nowadaze as 'The OC'. Aka the planet run by 'It', the brain from 'A Wrinkle in Time'. Everybody bouncing their basketballs in perfect time. If they're not, they get taken in to HQ for questioning/reprogramming. Somehow tho, my old college radio station remains dementilly intact, shoutout to Kevin Stockdale who's been running it for years and keeping some culture alive in a place that has an airport named after John Wayne. We'll be doing the alumni show they have sunday afternoons, if you're not in the area czeck it on ze interweb. KUCI Alumni Show 1/29with $mall ??hange and DJ ShakeySunday 2pm-4pm89.9fm in Irvine, or kuci.org on ze web.And it goes on and on. Monday I'm trekking down to San Diego for this fine roots n' rub-a-dub shindig known as Dub Dynamite. Rashi and co. have been holding it down for a minute at this spot, nuff respect due, got a killer crowd ready to get down to the heavy heavy sounds. Its a beautiful thing to see a packed dancefloor grooving to 70 bpm crackly dub, old school digital dancehall, modern roots, and of course some Terry Ganzie. Don't leave the home w/o it. Cheech and Chong sized spliff not included (but recommended).Dub Dynamitewith residents Lionel Judah (Tribe of Kings) and Kid Natty (Parallel Mechanics)especial guesto $mall ??hange and DJ ShakeyMondaze 1/30 @ Bar Dyanmite1808 West Washington, San Diego.9pm-2amNo coverage.Finally (you've hit delete by now, sure, sure...) I'm dropping funk/soul 45 science at Mr. Soul Satisfactions weekly get down get down known as 'Medium Rare'. You can czeck a handy dandy lil' flyer he made at his myspace page.http://www.myspace.com/mrsoulsatisfactionYes, myspace. Not just for sleazy singles anymore. And recently bought by Rupert. So I expect much spying to be done thurr as well. Anyways, it is what it is, a lazy man's webpage, and I'm all about it 'bout it. Anyways I'm always down to throw down sevens and glad he could accomodate. The missus will be tossing salads--whoops!--I mean tossing in a few as well. The deets, as my aussie friends say:Medium Rarew/ Mr. Soul Satisfaction, + $mall ??hange and Shakey@ Liquid Kitty11780 W. Pico Blvd., LA9pm-2am, no coverage!Funk/Soul 45s all night!When I get back got a bunch of schlitz on the plate, CD release party at the Pure Fire partay on Feb. 8th (@ Subtonic), Puma store thang on the 13th, etc, etc.paz$??

Comments

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    well done.

what years were you at kuci? i did my undergrad there between 1997-2002.

• well done.

what years were you at kuci? i did my undergrad there between 1997-2002.

From 90-92. I have some vague memory of meeting Black Sheep in the lobby back in the day. But I was more of a ska/jazz/funk head back then. They used to have a LOT more shit in the library back then, definitely some grail pieces missing...

But I always have a good time in the studio, shoutout to Kevin Stockdale who's been holding it down thurr for a minute.

$??