Cancer related

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
This is somewhat inspired by Badder Than Evils Aspegers thread.Does anyone know anything about lymphoma, particularly the b-cell related type?If anyone has had any dealings with it, or knows people who have gone through this, I could really use any stories/experiences, and whatnot.All the medical information I tried to get off the internet didn't really help. It was like reading, well, a medical manual Anyway, thanks in advance for helping me find out more about this.

Comments

• I can't talk about this type of cancer specifically, but my mom recently beat cancer so I know it can be really stressful. Just be there and be supportive, and its sounds corny but always try and have a positive outlook about it. It can be beaten.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah. Cool. I don't really know anything, but I know it can be beaten but it's a hard row.

Glad your mom's okay.

• Glad your mom's okay.

Thanks, I hope everything works out for in your situation too.

• Hell's yes cancer can be beaten. My fiancee and I are both survivors...I had it as a child, she had thyroid cancer two years ago, and is fine. Keep the head up.

On the lymphoma tip, my Grandfather has some type of it, put I doubt there is much similarity...he's pretty old, and it slowed down so much after minimal treatment they just stopped treating, thinking other things would kill him before the cancer. I'll ask my mom the next time I talk to her though.

David Rackoff (essayist, "This American Life," contributor) wrote a great piece on when he had cancer in his early 20s called, "I Used to Bank Here, but that was a Long Time Ago." Funny, sad, scarry, and ultimately, a story about his beating cancer. It is in his book, "Fraud," if you are interested. Its my favorite writing on cancer. If I recall, he may even have had lymphoma. (For the record, it is definitely more anecdotal than analytical cancer writing.)

• A good friend of mine had Hodgkins lymphoma in high school. He did the chemo thang, lost his hair, but was cleared of it in 6-8 weeks. A lot of it depends on how soon they have caught it.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    It's non-hodgkins b-cell type lymphoma which as far as I can tell has a little bit higher than a 50% survival rate, but it looks like everything that can work to the advantage is already set in place. Chemotherapy treatments have already started, which is the common and proper treatment for this type, but I don't really know what to expect from that.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Hey Cos,

Whatever is goin on, I hope things work out.

• Wikipedia on Cancer

My thoughts are with you.

My Dad passed away during a stem cell transplant procedure trying to fight myeloma. My mom was diagosed with breast cancer around the same time. She is fine and will soon be celebrating ten years of remission.

Cancer is a bitch.

• Whatever is goin on, I hope things work out.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    It's non-hodgkins b-cell type lymphoma which as far as I can tell has a little bit higher than a 50% survival rate, but it looks like everything that can work to the advantage is already set in place. Chemotherapy treatments have already started, which is the common and proper treatment for this type, but I don't really know what to expect from that.

Cos,

My thoughts are with you and your loved ones. I'm not an oncologist, but I do some research in cancer related fields, feel free to PM me if you ever have questions about specific chemotherapies or treatments.

Stay optimistic, there are new and better therapies every day for lymphoma.

Oh, and, a reminder to strutters, one way you can directly help cancer patients (and other people) is to donate blood and/or blood products regularly if you are able.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    A good friend of mine was diagnosed with non-hodgkins b-cell type lymphoma.
    They started treatment for her - some pills she took once a week and cost $600 each (she didn't have any insurance). So far, so good. It has a high recovery rate.
    We all chipped in for her pills and held a little benefit gig which raised enough $$$ to pay for her treatment.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    God speed to you and those close to you C*s.

Keep in mind, B Cell Lymphoma has different prognoses depending on the location and type of lymphoma.

Lymph nodes themselves, spleen, exterior organs, slow metastatizing cancers=ok prognosis
    Bone marrow, central nervous system, blood, fast metastasizing type cancers= not as good a prognosis.

I hope that helps, be strong and keep in mind, the person who is afflicted often needs encouragement, needs to keep up their immune system levels (exercise, vitamins if they can ingest them ok) and rest.
    Peace
    T.N.

• hey man! try here.

http://www.canceradvocacy.org

http://www.cancer.gov

hope everything is ok

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    we were worried my best friend may have lymphomic cancer, but he just called with his biopsy results and he does NOT have cancer. he has "Castleman's disease". Luckily, he does not have the MCD variant so that means this will probably be the only time it effects him for the rest of his life.
    He had a tumor on his lymph node that had caused the lymph nodes to swell and converge I think, and they removed a fist-size clump from his lower belly/side. He was only in the hospital for 2 days and is now recovering at home.

I hope everything with you and yours turns out well.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

One of my very good friends had non-Hodgkins lymphoma when she was 16. She did beat it and has been completely relapse-free ever since (a good 15 years now), though she did have to do the radiation and chemo, hair loss, feeling like shit, body going berserk, all of that. The process takes months, even a year or more with the time needed for a full recovery (chemo in particular has effects that last beyond the treatment in terms of feeling sick, weight fluctuations, and stuff like that), and it's not pretty, but it certainly can be done.

One thought on the psychological tip, Cosmo: When my friend was going through this, I didn't see much of her because she was quite adamant about not wanting to be seen in that condition. I totally understood that, and your friend may feel the same way, and if he/she does, don't take it personal or feel like he/she is shutting you out. That's not what's going on, and support (phone calls, emails, special "You're Gonna Kick This Cancer's Ass!" mix CDs, whatever) is still important, possible, and appreciated.

• we were worried my best friend may have lymphomic cancer, but he just called with his biopsy results and he does NOT have cancer. he has "Castleman's disease". Luckily, he does not have the MCD variant so that means this will probably be the only time it effects him for the rest of his life.
    He had a tumor on his lymph node that had caused the lymph nodes to swell and converge I think, and they removed a fist-size clump from his lower belly/side. He was only in the hospital for 2 days and is now recovering at home.

I hope everything with you and yours turns out well.

Thats really great news.

• One thought on the psychological tip, Cosmo: When my friend was going through this, I didn't see much of her because she was quite adamant about not wanting to be seen in that condition. I totally understood that, and your friend may feel the same way, and if he/she does, don't take it personal or feel like he/she is shutting you out. That's not what's going on, and support (phone calls, emails, special "You're Gonna Kick This Cancer's Ass!" mix CDs, whatever) is still important, possible, and appreciated.

beyond that, you have to be very careful who and what
    you are around in that condition.
    it killed me to stay in the house while i was sick,
    but a cold can be fatal while you're receiving treatments.
    the few friends that didn't forget me while i was a shut-in, well,
    i've never forgotten them either.
    it means a lot.

• This is somewhat inspired by Badder Than Evils Aspegers thread.

Does anyone know anything about lymphoma, particularly the b-cell related type?

If anyone has had any dealings with it, or knows people who have gone through this, I could really use any stories/experiences, and whatnot.

All the medical information I tried to get off the internet didn't really help. It was like reading, well, a medical manual

Anyway, thanks in advance for helping me find out more about this.

Cos,

My girls mother went through this. She had Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. She has been in the clear for 5 years. It was a tough battle, I won't front. Alot of tired days after chemo. The whole experience looking back is kind of surreal. But it can be beaten. The only way to look upin it is with a positive outlook. My thoughts to you and yours. Stay up.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

My prayers are with you & your fam.

Peace

h

• Agent45Agent45 451 Posts
    Here's another vote of support. I've had a LOT of cancer close to me in the last few years. A cousin of mine, and a close co-worker's wife both beat non-Hodgkins lymphoma. Another co-worker beat Thyroid cancer and a good friend beat breast cancer. Stay positive, encourage resaerch on healthy living beyond what the doctors say and try not to be afraid. This CAN be beat.