What makes a modern soul 45 worth some mad cash???

buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central

Comments

• ryanryan 334 Posts
    being a keb darge spin doesn't hurt.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    hmm, that probably helps, and it's mega rare on top of it all. Still, I gotta give the most credit to the fact that it's a total facemelter

• ryanryan 334 Posts
    it's mega rare on top of it all

that helps too.

• It's probably rare because dude can't sing very well--but the beat is kinda hot.

Thanks for sharing, though.

• It's probably rare because dude can't sing very well--but the beat is kinda hot.

It's a white dude singin it's all in the horns ..

Anyone have full quality mp3 of Mellow madness save the youth?

That would really make my day ..

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    I don't think this can really be deemed as modern soul. Sounds like a straight funky soul tune to me. And yes - I know how stupid that sounds - but at least for me and those in the market, modern soul usually incorporates gherri curls, dudes who look like A Touch of Class, and claps with effects. No but seriously - this ain't a 'modern soul' tune in the sense of the phrase we're all familiar with.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    TRACE. OF. SMOKE.!!!!!!!!!!!

• Ok this is how it goes:

It has to be kinda rare

It has to a 45 that the japanese has known about longer than the rest of us

It can sometimes be "perfect for the northern scene" on some lists (a dominant factor)

/L

• :melt: TRACE. OF. SMOKE.!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's grab the reissue 12" .. if it ever comes

• RezRez 164 Posts
    it's all in the horns ..
    Rez

• RezRez 164 Posts
    Target / Give Me One More Chance (Kama)

featuring some of the most tuneless synth noodlings known to personkind...

Rez

• This is my current synth killer at the moment, it's been going toggle repeat all mornin' props if anyone can name the tune ..

• RezRez 164 Posts
    This is my current synth killer at the moment, it's been going toggle repeat all mornin' props if anyone can name the tune ..

starts off baaad and gets going - can we say 'proto-house' on a breax board?

Reminds me a bit of the UK Elite gear of the early-80s? Atmosfear / Invasion kinda sound...? Kitchen sink and home-made but with depth...could also be a whitey funker a la ACR / Factory...I'd date it 1981 / 2 onwards and very likely a UK production..

Thanx for that - it really grew on me? I initially but find it now

Rez

• grows on ya doesnt it, yeha it's atmosfear with a tune called alternative II from 81 i presume .. I just dig that little keyboard lick that hits it about 01:50

• RezRez 164 Posts
    grows on ya doesnt it, yeha it's atmosfear with a tune called alternative II from 81 i presume .. I just dig that little keyboard lick that hits it about 01:50

Yowza! I KNEW it was a Brit piece - have to dig that one up - I deffo have / had it somewhere...

Noice....Rez

• RezRez 164 Posts
    grows on ya doesnt it, yeha it's atmosfear with a tune called alternative II from 81 i presume .. I just dig that little keyboard lick that hits it about 01:50

This shits allover weak stuff like Target - what's that making now - Target? sold my copy back in the mid-90s, like Scott Walker said, no regrets...

Rez

• grows on ya doesnt it, yeha it's atmosfear with a tune called alternative II from 81 i presume .. I just dig that little keyboard lick that hits it about 01:50

This shits allover weak stuff like Target - what's that making now - Target? sold my copy back in the mid-90s, like Scott Walker said, no regrets...

Rez

Mark, i don't know, do you really think it's that weak? I still kinda like it but i know what you mean, it's not a 100% sure-shot like other mega bucks 45s but still... also there's another version of this by members from Target but it's an lp only track, but i'd be damned if i could remember the name of the group

But Target looks kinda weak to stuff like Melvin Moore or Cloudburst et.c.

/L

• ademurademur 33 Posts
    I don't think this can really be deemed as modern soul. Sounds like a straight funky soul tune to me. And yes - I know how stupid that sounds - but at least for me and those in the market, modern soul usually incorporates gherri curls, dudes who look like A Touch of Class, and claps with effects. No but seriously - this ain't a 'modern soul' tune in the sense of the phrase we're all familiar with.

Thats because you are using what Guzzo defined as modern soul, and he never really got the hang of it.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Cloudburst

anyone have a clip of 'I'm Loving You'?

I really enjoy their 'Specialty Item' 45, but haven't heard the above.

'Specialty Item' has enough slaps to please the jerri-curl set I'd think...

---

• Cloudburst

anyone have a clip of 'I'm Loving You'?

I really enjoy their 'Specialty Item' 45, but haven't heard the above.

'Specialty Item' has enough slaps to please the jerri-curl set I'd think...

---

I haven't heard the "specialty item" but i don't have a clip i'm afraid, i got it on cd at home but don't really know how to make a mp3 of it (computer illiterate)

/L

• RezRez 164 Posts
    Mark, i don't know, do you really think it's that weak? Yep - I do - whichever clown is playing keys is in the wrong key - sounds completely off ...indie-soul, eh? Bah!

Rez

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts

Thats because you are using what Guzzo defined as modern soul, and he never really got the hang of it.

Riiiiight but even on the bay - no seller would ever classify this as modern soul. I'm with the Guzz on this one - he and I married this ya'll ninjas still engaged.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

I love when people take what I clearly defined as what I think modern soul is and say I'm wrong in defining what I like.

this track is hot. Is it modern soul? no

is it somethig recorded later than most funk? probably, but it don't don't got bass slaps or anything else that I (and many others) refer to as modern soul.

fuck catagorizing unless you can define what that catagory is.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    From now on I'm going to refer to James Brown as 'psych' & get testy when corrected.

I'm not sure this cut would fit the strict limey definition of 'modern soul' either though - however, it does sound similar other shit I've seen on Keb Darges playlists, so it must be 'deep funk'