Roger ZAPP Appreciation post

dayday 9,611 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
The undisputed king of the talkbox and all things funky deserves some appreciation bitches!

Growing up in Southern Califonia (and anywhere within range of Art Laboe) you couldn't escape the sound. Manymanymany memories of listening to dude on the radio late at night and crazy cholo filled parties.

Respect.

*currently rocking

R.I.P.

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    all them jpegs and not a single picture of the shirt?

REPRESENT THAT SILKSCREEN HOMIE!

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    oof!

sorry Herm - in my adoration I got all caught up like

I will be rocking that this weekend plaesebaleedat

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts
    crazy cholo party
    is there any other kind?!

man i remember seein zapp in like 89-90 & they did like 4 outfit changes, was dope as fuck...

so ruff so tuff out here, cuz we got way more bounce to the ounce...

nuff respect to the man...
    & fuck his punk ass brother for endin dudes life...

rip

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    crazy cholo party
    is there any other kind?!

Laid back rebel parties

SGV reprasent!

• deepbrntdeepbrnt 241 Posts

yeah them those dudes. that shirt is hard.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    "More Bounce To The Ounce" will never be played out. I was 13 when I was first exposed to that song. Yeah...no cholo parties then. More like the days when I would rock my radio Walkman whenever riding my baseball card spoke-having Huffy with my summer vacation buddies around town and liking "MBttO" when it was played during those old-school megamixes on 92.3 the Beat (even pop stations like Kiss FM played it sometimes). Yeah, I'm OG status . Anways, aside from my parents exosing me to their musical tastes at an early age, that single song helped influence me to get into this whole soul-funk stuff.

• The undisputed king of the talkbox and all things funky deserves some appreciation bitches!

Growing up in Southern Califonia (and anywhere within range of Art Laboe) you couldn't escape the sound. Manymanymany memories of listening to dude on the radio late at night and crazy cholo filled parties.

Respect.

*currently rocking

R.I.P.

Never heard thur music berfor, has it been sampled?

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    Never heard thur music berfor, has it been sampled?

what!? the?! internal dialogue: "hmmm....I now believe this dude is kidding....must believe that...nobody is this retarded...I will not bust on someone who needs R&Z education....if they sincerely don't know...GOD HELP YOU because YOU'RE OBVIOUSLY GOING TO HELL....okay...regaining composure..."

Brave...you serious?

• One of my all-time favorites: kept the FUNK alive through the 80's unlike any other.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    I think he was being sarcastic

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Hey, I know the shit I posted isn't exactly raer, but I was feeling it today so I thought i'd bring it back to remind folls.

Now, who has MP3's of "Roger and the Human Body" for me?

• Hey, I know the shit I posted isn't exactly raer, but I was feeling it today so I thought i'd bring it back to remind folls.

which tracks you need? (i could transfer some thangs)

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Hey, I know the shit I posted isn't exactly raer, but I was feeling it today so I thought i'd bring it back to remind folls.

it's raerer than Hall & Oates

• dayday 9,611 Posts

which tracks you need? (i could transfer some thangs)

I haven't heard any of it so shootwhatchyalike

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

I haven't heard any of it so shootwhatchyalike

Bearing straight & Freedom is what you need...the rest is just seasoning

• Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts
    I posted a Zapp & Roger appreciation post back last year when it was the 5th anniversary of his passing. I just now realized that the anniversary has just passed again on April 25th. Still hard to believe he got taken out by his own brother. I love me some Zapp and Roger though. It's funny how most music using technology that's from a particular era sounds dated, and yet Roger and his Vocoder still sound beautiful 25 years later.

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts

it's raerer than Hall & Oates

& bout 124708364082365806314085601384650813460x better....