Recommended DJ effects unit things?

BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
In an effort to buy more things that I'm not going to use, I decided to take a look at some effects units for DJing. I just want something I can drop samples with along with echo and delay and all that good shit. I don't know shit about any of these things but as far as I can tell, the Pioneer units do not have any sampling capability, right? I'm looking at a Dr. Sample right now which seems like the move but if anyone else has any recommendations, please give them. If the unit comes preloaded with bombs and airhorn sounds that would be a plus.

Comments

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    don't get a dr sample to use for the effects. you can't tap in the tempo and it doesn't read tempo automatically, so you have to guess at tempo with a knob (meaning your echoes will be offbeat until you adjust them by ear, live). the sound isn't real good for playing your mixer through it. and the output is the same volume control as you use to control the volume of effects and the volume of the samples so you don't have any way to adjust them relative to the volume of the music. also you can't loop live on the fly with a dr sample - you have to adjust the start and end points of the sample and then trigger it with the pad. if you need a dr sample, get one, but if you want external effects, you will need to get something separate for that. like a pioneer or kaos pad. if you can afford it, get a pioneer 909 mixer - it has better effects than either of those and is easier to use, IMO. as for the bomb and airhorns, that shit is super easy to get.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Ayres answer your phone.

• parenparen 537 Posts
    if you can afford it, get a pioneer 909 mixer - it has better effects than either of those and is easier to use, IMO.

cosign.

the ROLL and PITCH SHIFT for days.

• FSNSFSNS 163 Posts

discontinued.....

• discontinued.....

still on the manufacturer's website

Brian,

ayres is spot on. But if you're looking for an external effects to run your mixer through, Kaoss Pad 2 or Pioneer EFX500/1000 are your best bets.

the pioneer is very straightforward operation, and easy to use. the 1000 is upgraded to 24/96 digital sound quality, and has some cool functions like recording your jog wheel movements or bpm taps to create unique rhythm based effects.

the kaoss has much more customization ability, with options to have user presets. It also has a mindboggling amount of effects and variations thereof (like, who needs 16 different types of delays?) But it is super fun to use, just swipe your fingers around the touch screen and have a blast. And it also samples, whereas the Pioneer does not.

my $0.02

• if you can afford it, get a pioneer 909 mixer - it has better effects than either of those and is easier to use, IMO.

do you recommend that over something like a Rane 56 with an outboard efx unit? I have both a rane and a Pioneer DJ-600. I like the built in effects of the pioneer but not happy with the soundquality, especially if you're stuck in a club and have to push it in the red. I got a good rane for cheep, but have been eyeing the 909 since they came out--just put off by the price. So I'm still a little undecided, cos wondering as a battle mixer if the 909 is rugged enough, not that I'm some scratchalohic. Also wondering if the 909 has the same sound issues as the DJ-600...

$??

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    if you can afford it, get a pioneer 909 mixer - it has better effects than either of those and is easier to use, IMO.

do you recommend that over something like a Rane 56 with an outboard efx unit? I have both a rane and a Pioneer DJ-600. I like the built in effects of the pioneer but not happy with the soundquality, especially if you're stuck in a club and have to push it in the red. I got a good rane for cheep, but have been eyeing the 909 since they came out--just put off by the price. So I'm still a little undecided, cos wondering as a battle mixer if the 909 is rugged enough, not that I'm some scratchalohic. Also wondering if the 909 has the same sound issues as the DJ-600...

$??

a Pioneer 909 sounds almost as good as a Rane. none of the sound problems that plague the 600. there is no audible compression when you turn it up, and the output is LOUD. it's rugged. i've had mine for 2 years. i burnt an upfader and had to replace it, but other than that, no problems. the effects are way better than the 600, too. there are 50 effects, and the effects have EQs so you can echo (or flange or whatever) just the treble, mid, or bass, or any combination thereof. the crossfader is also a lot sturdier and more adjustable than the 600.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Is it possible to get a foot pedal hooked up to the Pioneer EFX-500 just for on/off?

DJ Ferrari