??? for the club DJs

DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
Any of you ever felt sick after playing in a club all night due to the soundsystem?I played Sat night in a new club here in SoBe, and by 3am was a total wreck... headache, cold sweat, drained of all energy. Now i've always been careful with monitors and never have them cranked, but it feels like the DJ booth is one big bass trap and i'm wondering if this could be the cause...I'm used to playing until 4-5am so it's not a general fatigue thing... I ate well that night and only had 2 J.D.s...By 4am it was and I had to let a mix CD keep it going until 4:30 while I sat down in the booth and nearly passed out.

Comments

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    I know what you mean there.

I had the same thing when I went to a Helter Skelter rave at Milton Keynes Sanctuary. The sound system was a monster of holy tinitus.

I think after a certain amount of your eardrums and associated muscles being contastly bombarded with a wall of sound for hours and hours, they eventually start to physically tire and thus ensues the Gameover effect - the feeling will start to spread if you ignore it.. Its your brain's warning saying 'FOR FECKS SAKE DUDE... YOU'RE and I'm going to make you feel ill if you dont vacate.

Sometimes you can notice the physical relief on your ears from just escaping the fuck into some silence for a while to let the muscles recover.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Not to mention if the phasing is off with the speakers (if on one of the speakers the blacks are in the reds and vice versa). It's not always the easiest thing to pick up on - but if you set up speakers this way and stand in the middle of them at close range - you'll start feeling nauseated as it throws off your equilibrium. Why? I'm not sure - but this could have very well been the case with what happened to you the other night.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Not to mention, hot sweaty clubs with smoke and full of germs.

• Not to mention if the phasing is off with the speakers (if on one of the speakers the blacks are in the reds and vice versa). It's not always the easiest thing to pick up on - but if you set up speakers this way and stand in the middle of them at close range - you'll start feeling nauseated as it throws off your equilibrium. Why? I'm not sure - but this could have very well been the case with what happened to you the other night.

yeah, this definitely could be a cause - it creates this strange non-stereo effect that makes you want to lean to one side