Classifying Rap/Hip Hop

holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
Soooo, I am sitting at work re-tooling the Hip Hop Unit that I teach to Year 10. Usually I do a bunch of practical stuff with them & they end up writing & recording & sending me mp3's of their original hip hop tracks. I wanna do a little bit more on the history of hip hop this year, like I do with the blues unit. Usually we will watch a video about hip hop & do questionaire & discussion on the topics covered in the vid. Anyways, we will still be doing all that but I want to give them some reading material so we can do some focused listening through different stages of the development of hip hop music. I am not a huge hip hop head & just want to cover some of the basic developments & am kinda stuck on which sub-genres to cover, so any help would be appreciated. For example with the blues I do a bit on Classic Female Blues; Country Blues; Electric Blues; Blues Revival; British Blues; & Contemporary Blues, where we read a bit, listen to specific examples & discuss. So, if you were me & wanted to do a similar thing chronologically with Hip Hop, how would it go? I was thinking: Old School; Gangsta Rap; Golden Age; West Coast; East Coast; Southern Rap; Turntablism, but I just pulled these headings from AMG. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• hyphy

• and beefs

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    cool thanks. I will add them straight away.

• Don't forget Miami Bass as well

• what are your students going to be doing in the class? learning about all these 'classifications' of rap and hip hop history can be kind of boring if there's no output. will they be putting on their own performances? listening to tons of relevant music? drawing connections to music they listen to or contemporary music around them?...

don't forget about rickey vincent...the funk book could be another good reading material.

my friend once taught a history of hip hop style class to 1st graders and basically what he did was bring a radio, mic, computer, videos and pixx...etc. and at the end of the class (and each week) students made these incredible freestyle-esque rapps w/ SO MUCH STYLE he put it all onto a cd comp to give to them all. maybe first graders can be easier to please tho...

those kiddies were proud mofos of their work!

anyway, more info on the funk book here

and this book bout la rapp - good luck finding it tho!!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Horrorcore
    Sneaker Fashion
    Basketball & Hip Hop
    Crack and its effect on Hip Hop
    Black Power Hip Hop
    Female Mc's Contributions
    International Hip Hop
    Bush era vs Bush era

• Have them read the first 4 chapters in Can't Stop Wont Stop. It gives a really good picture of the early development of hip hop from Jamaica to BK.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    [quoteeach week) students made these incredible freestyle-esque rapps w/ SO MUCH STYLE he put it all onto a cd comp to give to them all. any chance of upping this?

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Don't forget the Daisy Age.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    what school teaches a class about hip-hop to 1st graders???

• Bush era vs Bush era

that's a mixtape right there - '92 lyrics that stay fresh til 2008. droppin Homeliss Derelix' "Fuck You" where he says "fuck george bush for startin wars n shit" AND IT'S STILL CURRENT!

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    Have them read the first 4 chapters in Can't Stop Wont Stop. It gives a really good picture of the early development of hip hop from Jamaica to BK.

cosign. reading the shit now. good read.

New Jack Swing
    Hip House

Native Toungues(not D.A.I.S.Y. Age)

Style Wars

Hip House

G-FUNK

Hip House

No doubt, but you can't mention the "daisy age" without factoring in HIP HOUSE.

ps.............

The House That Cee Built

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Hip House

ps.............

The House That Cee Built

+ Queen Latifah "Come Into My House"
    + Jungle Brothers "I'll House You"
    and then some???

Hip House

ps.............

The House That Cee Built

and then some???

The House That Cee Built

and then some???

+ De La Soul - Kicked Out The House

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

HA.. I was just listening to A Touch of Jazz. But the vocal version.

The Human Beatbox

Crunk
    Snap
    Screwed and Chopped
    Bounce

• Have them read the first 4 chapters in Can't Stop Wont Stop. It gives a really good picture of the early development of hip hop from Jamaica to BK.

Also check out "To Catch A Fire" the Bob Marley autobiography. There are whole sections throughout that book that talk about the sound systems, the DJs, and specifically a hurricane in the late 60's that wiped out all the record pressing plants, forcing DJs to use instrumentals from old records and have live emcees do new verses over them.

• what school teaches a class about hip-hop to 1st graders???

it was some ele. school in a dirty part of pasadena, i can't remember the name of it for the life of me but it was probably named after a president. keep in mind, these are afterschool programs for kids who go to school literally from like 6am-6pm so their parents can work all day and not pay for rill babysitting. it's crazy, but in areas like that, that's just how it goes.

also up in the bay there are plenny of ele/mid schools that offer hip hop and b-boying classes para los ni??os, graff/drawing etc in afterschool programs!

what school teaches a class about hip-hop to 1st graders???

it was some ele. school in a dirty part of pasadena, i can't remember the name of it for the life of me but it was probably named after a president. keep in mind, these are afterschool programs for kids who go to school literally from like 6am-6pm so their parents can work all day and not pay for rill babysitting. it's crazy, but in areas like that, that's just how it goes.

also up in the bay there are plenny of ele/mid schools that offer hip hop and b-boying classes para los ni??os, graff/drawing etc in afterschool programs!

oh okay...yeah after school is a different story.