Telemarketing calls turned upside down (NRR)

YemskyYemsky 708 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
People, help me out: I am looking for a website which I forgot to bookmark of a guy who recorded the telemarketing calls he received from phone companies etc.It is dead funny as he manages to completely take charge of the calls and rather then the callers running through their scripts he directs where the conversation goes.Does anyone know what I am talking about? Please post URL !Thanks

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Hey Yemsky!

• People, help me out: I am looking for a website which I forgot to bookmark of a guy who recorded the telemarketing calls he received from phone companies etc.
    It is dead funny as he manages to completely take charge of the calls and rather then the callers running through their scripts he directs where the conversation goes.
    Does anyone know what I am talking about?
    Please post URL !

Thanks

i heard some of these awhile ago on the radio, funny as shit. i would randomly google it to see what you can come up with.

anyone else out there fuck with telemarketers?

lately i have been getting calls to do a survey and get three free dvd's of girls gone wild. i have decline and the third time i asked why they kept calling me and the girl got angry and was like this is the first time we have called and she hung up super mad.

i try to always fuck with telemarketers by doing dumb shit. acting constipated, or acting too high to communicate effectively.

• YemskyYemsky 708 Posts
    i would randomly google it to see what you can come up with.

I've tried that for almost two hours. I can find it. The guy is sooo funny. I hope somebody can remember the website...

Yo Alien, what's up!

• Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts
    There are a couple of guys who do that sort of thing that I can name off the top of my head: Jim Florentine and Tom Mabe. Both guys have some hilarious stuff. Florentine also does some voices on Crank Yankers, so he's also responsible for the one of Special Ed calling up tech support and yelling "I've got mail! YAY!! I've got mail, I've got mail, I've got mail...YAY!!"

I have a feeling you might be talking about Tom Mabe though. He's got a couple of CDs called "Revenge On The Telemarketers". My favorite is one where a telemarketer trying to sell cemetary plots calls, and Mabe acts like he's depressed and despondent. He says something to the guy like "I've been thinking of killing myself and I was waiting for a sign. You're the Angel of Death!" At first the telemarketer acts like he's concerned for the guy and tells him not to kill himself, but eventually after Mabe presses him a bit the guy gives him the schpiel about the cemetary plots. The call ends when you hear Mabe tell the telemarketer to hold on a second, and then you hear the sound of a gunshot and the telemarketer going "Mr. Mabe? Mr. Mabe?". It's ruthless and evil but I love it.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    this stuff is all funny but telemarketers are usually just poor people tryin' to get by. Don't take it out on them take it out on the companys that employ them. And put your name on the national do not call list.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    And put your name on the national do not call list.

DONE and DONE, for both home and cell...

this stuff is all funny but telemarketers are usually just poor people tryin' to get by. Don't take it out on them take it out on the companys that employ them. And put your name on the national do not call list.

They're poor people trying to get by...and? If they don't want to deal with people giving them shit then they need to find another line of work. Unsolicited sales is annoying as shit and I personally don't feel too bad if I'm rude to somebody who's wasting my time trying to sell me some shit I don't have any interest in. Sorry, but it comes with the territory. If somebody doesn't want to deal with stuff like that they can work at Wendy's for all I care.

And I'm already on the national do not call list. You best believe I was on that the very day it was available.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    They're poor people trying to get by...and? If they don't want to deal with people giving them shit then they need to find another line of work. Unsolicited sales is annoying as shit and I personally don't feel too bad if I'm rude to somebody who's wasting my time trying to sell me some shit I don't have any interest in. Sorry, but it comes with the territory. If somebody doesn't want to deal with stuff like that they can work at Wendy's for all I care.
    Dude, come of of your high horse for just a sec would ya? This is the only line of work that a lot of these people can do. People w/ only a high school eduation who have to support families. Women in this situation who can't work other reasonably well paying jobs like construction. People with disbilities. People who have to work odd hours and can do so w/ a telemarketing job that calls other time zones. The list goes on. And that coment about "work at Wendys for all you care" is just bullshit. No One can support a family w/ that kind of wage. It's pretty easy for you to sit back and say what kind of jobs people should work, but for some the options are not that open. Untill this country gets a true living wage many people will be forced to work crap jobs like telemarketing just b/c they stand to make more that $6 bucks an hour doing it and they need to feed mouths. Personal dignity and courtesy are at an all time low in this country and it would seem thanks to people like you. Whats wrong w/ sternly saying "no thank you" as many times as needed to ge tthem of the phone? How about not answereing your phone? I bet your job has afforded you a lifestyle that includes caller ID.

• HamHam 872 Posts
    did you see that seinfeld episode where jerry asks a telemarketer for his home number so he could call him up at home etc?

i tried to use that once, and dude was like "ahh so you watched seinfield last night?"

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Dude, come of of your high horse for just a sec would ya? This is the only line of work that a lot of these people can do. People w/ only a high school eduation who have to support families. Women in this situation who can't work other reasonably well paying jobs like construction. People with disbilities. People who have to work odd hours and can do so w/ a telemarketing job that calls other time zones. The list goes on. And that coment about "work at Wendys for all you care" is just bullshit. No One can support a family w/ that kind of wage. It's pretty easy for you to sit back and say what kind of jobs people should work, but for some the options are not that open. Untill this country gets a true living wage many people will be forced to work crap jobs like telemarketing just b/c they stand to make more that $6 bucks an hour doing it and they need to feed mouths.
    Personal dignity and courtesy are at an all time low in this country and it would seem thanks to people like you. Whats wrong w/ sternly saying "no thank you" as many times as needed to ge tthem of the phone? How about not answereing your phone? I bet your job has afforded you a lifestyle that includes caller ID.

It's true. I dated a girl that did this to put herself through college cuz Wendy's wasn't going to do it. I knew what a nice person she was and never even gave it a second thought what she did for a living. If your good at phone sales you can make good money. She did better than my sorry ass.

Having said that when they call and ask for the "misses" tell them "I'm gay, would you like to talk to my boyfriend?" That get sthem stuttering.

One time I had a guy calling doing a phone survey for the news and I totally went off on what bullshit the local news was. At one point I told him not to take it personal, and he started laughing...."No I agree with you so I want to be sure I get all this entered in the computer." He was totally cool and helped me tell the news channel what conservative fucks they were.

Dude, come of of your high horse for just a sec would ya? This is the only line of work that a lot of these people can do. People w/ only a high school eduation who have to support families. Women in this situation who can't work other reasonably well paying jobs like construction. People with disbilities. People who have to work odd hours and can do so w/ a telemarketing job that calls other time zones. The list goes on. And that coment about "work at Wendys for all you care" is just bullshit. No One can support a family w/ that kind of wage. It's pretty easy for you to sit back and say what kind of jobs people should work, but for some the options are not that open. Untill this country gets a true living wage many people will be forced to work crap jobs like telemarketing just b/c they stand to make more that $6 bucks an hour doing it and they need to feed mouths. Personal dignity and courtesy are at an all time low in this country and it would seem thanks to people like you. Whats wrong w/ sternly saying "no thank you" as many times as needed to ge tthem of the phone? How about not answereing your phone? I bet your job has afforded you a lifestyle that includes caller ID.

My job doesn't exist. My job ceased to exist in December. I'm not on any high horse, but I also refuse to believe there are NO other jobs for these people to do. And I stick by my comment about it coming with the territory. Sorry, but if you don't want people being pissed off at you then perhaps you should choose to do something other than calling them and wasting their time with unsolicited sales. And honestly, I personally don't berate people who call me. In fact, I get pissed off when telemarketers call because I *am* a nice guy and people take advantage of that. It'd be a hell of a lot easier to just say "no thanks" and hang up cold but to me that seems rude, so I always get stuck hearing these people spill their bullshit pitches to me, usually when I'm in the middle of doing something. So, sorry if it offends you but I have little sympathy for people doing telemarketing. As somebody who's unemployed I know full well how hard it is to find a job, and I have a freakin' college degree.

And even if I did have caller ID (which I don't), why should the onus of responsibility be on ME to not answer the phone? Telemarketers are invading my space, so when you're forcing yourself into my life unasked don't be shocked if you aren't the most popular person around. The thing that guys like Tom Mabe prove is that telemarketers are fucking relentless and will go to almost any lengths to sell you something. Like I said about the Mabe bit I like, he pretends he's suicidal to a guy selling cemetary plots and the guy STILL gives him the sales pitch despite the guy talking about killing himself. Sorry, but telemarketers have a reputation as pushy and annoying for a reason; I rank them right up there with car dealers as far as people I like to deal with.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    1) I worked as a telemarketer when I was in high school. The secret to making money is hooking the suckers and getting off the phone as soon as possible with those who are not going to buy.

2) Never, ever, ever, ever give to charities over the phone. I sold tickets to send handicap children to the circus. We gave the fire dept a cut so we could use their name. It was mostly bogus.

3) I try not to be rude to telemarketers, but I am direct. Being direct saves them time on a call that yields no sale.

4) Sometimes I have some fun. I always tell the cable people that I don't have a tv, that leaves them sputtering in confusion. I always tell; investment and alarm companys that I can't discuss my finances or security with a stranger.

5) If you tell a telemarketer no, and they rudely keep pressing you, go ahead and be rude.

6) I did not sign up for do not call cause I figured it was a sucker list. Door to door salesmen know the easiest sales are the house with the No Solicitors sign. I also figured they would all start with "This is not a sales call, we will give you 3 dvds if you just answear some simple questions. Would your house look better with new new aluminum siding that was red blue or green?"

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

3) I try not to be rude to telemarketers, but I am direct. Being direct saves them time on a call that yields no sale.

Would you consider just hanging up on them without saying a word (besides "hello") rude? Because that is what I do???it's direct and it saves my breath.

• jaybreeziejaybreezie 161 Posts

Would you consider just hanging up on them without saying a word (besides "hello") rude? Because that is what I do???it's direct and it saves my breath.

Yeah that's me pretty much. "I don't think I'd be interested. Thanks." And hang up before they get a chance to respond.

I was slanging certificates for oil changes (weirdo but kinda fun pyramid scam-like company) for a while and they'd always preach that you should sell one for every ten people you hit up. So the quicker you're on to the next person, the quicker the law of averages comes back in your favor. So really I'm doing telemarketers a favor right? Just get my non-interested ass out of the way as quick as possible and on to the next potential sucker!

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Nah, telemarketing is a waste of time.. and they haven't realised it yet.

We need to help them to realise it by wasting THEIR fucking time.

If people want something, they'll look for it.

You can't randomly call people in the hope that one of them needs some double-glazing... plus, people dont trust telemarketing calls anyway... It dont work!!!

Oh yeah,

Anyone had one of those calls that puts you on hold when you pick the phone up, until an operator is available at the other end.

I HATE THOSE CALLS.

Plus, if you hang up instead of telling the people to remove your number from the automated list of number ranges..... it will keep calling you over and over and over.......

Damn!!!

People, help me out: I am looking for a website which I forgot to bookmark of a guy who recorded the telemarketing calls he received from phone companies etc.

Thanks

Yo, is it here?: www.phonelosers.org/sound.html

I can't tell cause I'm at work and the site is blocked but the google cache looks about right.