I-tuines just freaked me the fuck out

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
ok, so I digitized my Gun LP for my girl. I recorded it on soundforge and just put wholes sides of the LP into CD architect and indexed the sides and burned it. I didnt name the tracks or anything. I put the CD into her new Ibook and fucking I-tunes already knew the names of the tracks! This wasnt a burn of a CD, I recorded the LP! She theorized the only explanation is the the track lengths and the order of said track lengths. Is this how it works? I know how it looks up CDs and names the tracks, but this was a burn of LP...fucking weird.

Comments

• Digital Fingerprinting.

• Digital Fingerprinting.

no it cant be..it was a recording of a 38 year old LP..there was no such thing back then.

• It looks at the waveform...or could just be lengths/tracks. Don't think Itunes does waveform recognition, but in general it is possible to do a match that way.

• crazy...and scary

• Audio Waveform Recognition Technology
    Using audio waveform fingerprint technology, MusicID can identify individual songs or albums in a user's collection regardless of source, format or tag information

http://www.gracenote.com/gn_products/music_id.html

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    it looks up the # and length of tracks and matches it up w/ www.gracenote.com

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    how about this... Itunes recognized the album, song titles, and genre (kid funk) from when I recorded my lp reissue of jr. and his soulettes.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    this happened to me with my Stovall Sisters lp. weird!!!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• What's worse is when you make a mix cd and it labels all the tracks wrong because it matches the track length and count of some other random turd.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    crazy...and scary

cosine. i've never even used iTunes but this is fucked up.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    it looks up the # and length of tracks and matches it up w/ www.gracenote.com

so someone had to input every recording ever made so it could recognize the wave form? That is

• it looks up the # and length of tracks and matches it up w/ www.gracenote.com

so someone had to input every recording ever made so it could recognize the wave form? That is

If you tag a cd that isn't in the data base I believe you can upload the list. Not like one monkey doing it all. It's in the advanced pulldown menu.

• Better rip this one next, huh?

• I had the same thing happen the other day - shit is scary.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    Arzachel does the same thing, it has to be track #'s and length. Every time I put in a continuos mix that clocks in at 79:59 I have a slew of albums that pop up to choose from.

• I've had this happen before with LPs I've recorded and burned to CD... It's not an iTunes thing, it's just a thing with programs accessing databases online. It surprised me the first time it happened but I also thought it was cool. I think the first time it happened was when I burned off a copy of "Sagittarius" by Frank Cunimondo. I popped the CD in my second computer and the CD player grabbed info for the album off the Freedb. At first it kind of shocked me and then I was just impressed.

• Yeah - I guess it would be tough to tell if you ripped it yourself or dl'd from somewhere. While I think it's cool too (minus the genres it sometimes attaches) I just don't want to get some fucking RIAA letter in the mail.

• Yeah - I guess it would be tough to tell if you ripped it yourself or dl'd from somewhere. While I think it's cool too (minus the genres it sometimes attaches) I just don't want to get some fucking RIAA letter in the mail.

Nah, nothing to fear... Mainly because recording something from vinyl and burning a copy off to CD is perfectly legal, but beyond that the RIAA has no way of personally identifying you. Hell, the RIAA likely doesn't have any way of knowing anything about who accesses the databases since as far as I know they don't run them. At least, I know they have nothing to do with the Freedb, which is what my programs use.

• they are watching.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I accidentally submitted the info for an EXTREMELY obscure record the other day... when I put the track titles etc into MusicMatch it automatically sent them to its DB...