What does AOR/MOR mean?

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
To this day, the meaning alludes me. Help a cat out.

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    i don't know AOR - but Middle Of the Road.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    somebody told me what it meant a while ago but i forgot!

i was actually gonna start this same thread a while ago.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    ALBUM ORIENTED ROCK / RECORD / RADIO

MUSIC ORIENTED

• AOR= Album Oriented Rock. Think of The Eagles....

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    ALBUM ORIENTED ROCK

the format that kick-started FM radio back when AM dominated with the Top 40

AOR= Album Oriented Rock. Think of The Eagles....

or Led Zeppelin, or King Crimson, or Neil Young...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

MUSIC ORIENTED

Examples pleez.

MUSIC ORIENTED

Are you joking?

MOR is usually the least musically-inclined music out...

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i agree mor is not particularly musical.. but look at bands like toto, dire straights, journey.. alll very ackomplished musicians respected by dad rock peeps everywhere... thus MUSIC oreiented.. i think the phrase was put into effect to differentiate itself from more simplistic things like punk and disco which were happening at the time

MOR = what right now?

And, are these antiquated descriptions?

• eh or also... ADULT ORIENTED ROCK.

this is the more common term among old label heads i know.

it was the most hyped format in the mid 70's. the youth market for rock music seperated from the adult market.

see steven bishop, james taylor, carly simon, rupert holmes, carol king.

lyrical content included sleeping with married women and hanging out at the regal begal after taking a jog on san vincenti. if you like making love in the dunes of the cape this is the sound for you.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

MUSIC ORIENTED

Examples pleez.

AOR has already been defined - FM album-oriented rock (as opposed to AM single-oriented rock).

MOR - just another word for easy listening. 30 years ago this would have meant Glen Campbell, John Denver, Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Englebert Humperdinck, Roger Whittaker, even Tom Jones. These days it would be Celine Dion or Michael Bolton.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    AOR

Adult Oriented Rock = Sting

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    MOR is more subjective than AOR i believe...

• leo might even fit into the AOR format

MOR: andy williams
    AOR: paul williams
    MOR: herb alpert
    AOR: ambrosia

in my humble opinion most of soulstrut are sleeping on how much they need AOR in thier lives. in example. kenny rankin batches.

I don't want to confuse Batmon, but until five minutes ago I have never heard MOR referred to as "Music Oriented Radio." I always knew it to mean Middle Of (the) Road, just jargon for "easy listening" (insider jargon, at that - no one ever uses MOR on the street!).

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Englebert Humperdinck

That kind of name should not be allowed

leo might even fit into the AOR format

No FM album-rock station I grew up listening to would have touched Leo Sayer with a ten-foot pole.

See Dig Dug's post for what AOR really means (Album Oriented Rock).

eh or also... ADULT ORIENTED ROCK.

lyrical content included sleeping with married women and hanging out at the regal begal after taking a jog on san vincenti. if you like making love in the dunes of the cape this is the sound for you.

No doubt.

I got some Carly Simon in the collection.

• yes... sting. dream of the blue turtles. 94.7 the wave. i saw his ugly ass in a jaguar commercial. also on a star fm billboard on the 60 on the way to riverside. they tinted his face green. fuck that dude.

• no leo was strictly inserted into the 93 khj format with music box dancer and the rest of that bullshit hence the term adult oriented rock. if you are looking for this kind of shit rhino is having a parking lot sale this weekend.

• no leo was strictly inserted into the 93 khj format with music box dancer and the rest of that bullshit hence the term adult oriented rock. if you are looking for this kind of shit rhino is having a parking lot sale this weekend.

rhino's parking lot sales are no good anymore ?

they used to be the shit.

dave

• your joking right?

Where does 70's Joan Armatrading lie?

• leo the AOR years pulled straight from a japanese soft rock website.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

I got some Carly Simon in the collection.

"You're so vain" is my shit, and I would go back in time just to tap Carly when she was young.

• Where does 70's Joan Armatrading lie?

in the garbage can?

• Album Oriented Rock

Album Oriented Radio

Adult Oriented Rock

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Album_Oriented_Rock

anyone listen to IO70's (tom)?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=306&item=4824630924

• I got some Carly Simon in the collection.

"You're so vain" is my shit, and I would go back in time just to tap Carly when she was young.

Carly Simon is a washed up pill popping nut job. I worked a couple of summers on Martha???s Vineyard where she lives. I worked at a bank one summer. This young guy I worked with had no idea who she was, and she tried to cash a check in his line. When he asked her for ID she flipped the fuck out all "don't you know who I am!" In a real calm voice he said "no who are you?" She said, "I'm Carly Simon" Again calmly he goes, "That means absolutely nothing to me, do you have ID" All of the other tellers started laughing so hard. She wigged the fuck out and left the bank. She tried to file a complaint later, but since she wasn't a member of the bank our manager didn't give a shit. Her brother Peter Simon is a whole other story. Man that little Island has some crazy mother fuckers on it.

• sounds like she's so vain.