Soulstrut BBOYS

Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
BBoys in the strut community.. How long did it take you to master windmills ?

Comments

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    longer than I think it should have. Seriously! There was such a long period of time when it simply felt IMPOSSIBLE.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Got any good commandments for someone new to the game?

Got any good commandments for someone new to the game?

Yes. I command you to keep practicing.

Don't think I can really help you out unless I saw you try them in person. How do you go into them? Standing up? freeze? backspin?

I do them as shown here

What do you think of their lesson.. accurate?

That looks only okay to me. The dude in the animation looks like he's rotating on the mid and lower part of his back, which will slow you down considerably and make it much harder to get back onto your hands. You should really be spinning on the upper quarter of your back using the arc of your shoulder blades. Doing one windmill is easy, it's linking them together and building up speed that's hard. It's only a matter of time once you get the mechanics down.

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    Breakself busts out windmills like WOAH! --I've seen them first hand.

I used to be able to do a couple rotations but then I had knee surgery on some hockey injury and there went any type of bboy moves. I'm still known to bust out some 6-steps to swipes depending on how hammered I am.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    You still practicing Aaron? We may have to have a Soulstrut b-boy battle, and put 5 records on the line....we get to choose the other's 5.

!!!

We were going to do entire record collection scrabble, but b-boy battles are better.

I've heard people say that upper body strength is but I've witnessed many little dudes dropping some crazy ass windmills, so is it more a case of strength or technique?

It's a little bit of everything. At first you are going to have to force yourself through a few -- which takes a little bit of strength and endurance. Once you get your proper form down, physics will carry you through them and they will be easier, faster, and smoother.

• even tho there were no calls to the bgirls out there, whateva....

i still reply.
    mr lee phd, can you do a coin drop?
    if you practice those or got those down, they can be the 'gateway to the windmill' waa haaa

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    first learn superman style, then learn the ball, then learn windmills. i still can't kep my legs straight.

You still practicing Aaron? We may have to have a Soulstrut b-boy battle, and put 5 records on the line....we get to choose the other's 5.

!!!

We were going to do entire record collection scrabble, but b-boy battles are better.

On and off. Had nut-crackers for a while and lost 'em (pasue). There is no way I'm battling anyone w/ the Sex Machines on the line. Ever. Once I get into grad school I plan on actively seeking out the local scene.

!!!

There is no way I'm battling anyone w/ the Sex Machines on the line. Ever.

YOU'RE SOFT.

even tho there were no calls to the bgirls out there, whateva....

That was frekkin rude of me actually. Apologies to Soulstrut BGirls for being so damn ignant. (Thats about 3 people I think... your good self, MissBassie & Ms_Damn) am I missing any others?

Ms_Damn & MissBassie... do you break?

That was frekkin rude of me actually. Apologies to Soulstrut BGirls for being so damn ignant. (Thats about 3 people I think... your good self, MissBassie & Ms_Damn) am I missing any others?

As far as I know, there are only 2 b-girls on this board.

...and if I can say one more time. Breakself, YOU'RE SOFT.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

This shit right hur

My lady came home from work only to find me and my friend (super drunk) attempting to "go off" to this shit

She had the most WTF look on her face I've ever seen.

I'm just about getting swipes sorted out, still need to practice these a helluva load though. I think I'm trying to run before I can walk.

What kind of order did y'all laern yo moves in?

I'm just about getting swipes sorted out, still need to practice these a helluva load though. I think I'm trying to run before I can walk.

Start with the absolute basics. You need to be able to dance and rock before you start getting into moves. Get your toprock down, and make sure you're in sync with the beat. Then learn your 6 step and practice it nonstop for a month. Your form will develop, and you will start coming up with more things. From here it will become more natural to do all that other shit. Windmills, swipes, flares, etc. The key is to practice practice practice, and always ask for pointers when you're practicing with more experienced fellers.

dude, just cause you got K-Mel's ATM pin # and drink 8 glasses of water a day doesn't mean the gods'll sweep the linoleum out from under your feet like it's some sleepless in the suburbs romantic bboy comedy sideshow. I knew Vicious when he was just Vince, rocking a bandana and a Asia-fade, yakking b4 performances and shit. What's really tho? Aaron still hasn't given me the copy of ur mix you left w/ him, which means you have the advantage by default.

dude, just cause you got K-Mel's ATM pin # and drink 8 glasses of water a day doesn't mean the gods'll sweep the linoleum out from under your feet like it's some sleepless in the suburbs romantic bboy comedy sideshow. I knew Vicious when he was just Vince, rocking a bandana and a Asia-fade, yakking b4 performances and shit. What's really tho? Aaron still hasn't given me the copy of ur mix you left w/ him, which means you have the advantage by default.

The gods done did that twice before. Then I battled them for their power.

Go to Streetcorner tomorrow and holler at Aaron. I heard he has records there too!

I will be in Detroit in April. 5 records. 5 rounds.

• I'm just about getting swipes sorted out, still need to practice these a helluva load though. I think I'm trying to run before I can walk.

Start with the absolute basics. You need to be able to dance and rock before you start getting into moves. Get your toprock down, and make sure you're in sync with the beat. Then learn your 6 step and practice it nonstop for a month. Your form will develop, and you will start coming up with more things. From here it will become more natural to do all that other shit. Windmills, swipes, flares, etc. The key is to practice practice practice, and always ask for pointers when you're practicing with more experienced fellers.

Huge so-sign here.
    Windmills would be last on the list of essentials. Though over the meany years of trying it was the one thing that I could never get. It just wasn't happening for me.

Footwork, footwork, footwork, would be my preference. All that 'hollowback' period stuff annoyed me.
    Became too indulgent, was less about dancing & more about freezes being the highlight of a routine.

I just watched some of Freestyle Sessions 8 the other day...the one on the boat.
    My friends attended & said Q-bert's b-boy set was on the money. Haven't got to his part yet.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    It's a little bit of everything. At first you are going to have to force yourself through a few -- which takes a little bit of strength and endurance. Once you get your proper form down, physics will carry you through them and they will be easier, faster, and smoother.

Woah, Castillo. I didn't know you danced homie. For those of you that don't know. I'm a BBoy from the crew Homegrown here in LV. Barely competing anymore, starting to outgrow that phase. Breaking is more technique then anything. Even if your not in the peak physical form. You can learn most of the tricks. The most important part is just dancing. Windmills are the least important. They took me about a week to learn.

- spidey

Woah, Castillo. I didn't know you danced homie.

It's kinda how I got into buying funk and soul records (besides being very zealous about making beats). Jimmy Castor, Dennis Coffey, Shaft in Africa...

But yeah it's been a full year since I started dancing again and practicing regularly after a 3-4 year hiatus due to being stupid in the grass and getting my foot snagged in a hole. Year 2 is going to be dope.

But it's very true. Learn to dance before you learn moves. Too many kids these days are learning the other way around, and are missing the point.

BBOY STRUT. HA!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Going back to class this wednesday

Castillo your mix still available for purchase?

Going back to class this wednesday

Castillo your mix still available for purchase?

There will be more at TTlab in the next day or 2. I currently don't have anymore, but will be doing another run...

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Speaking of b-boy and Qbert ish, has anybody checked these new records he has out?

b-boy breaks
    all
    one after another in the same BPM

I wonder who helped him put this together.

• that q-bert record is
    my friend got an early copy and was playing it for us, it is just break after break after break after break. you can be lazy and play the whole thing thru and just get overwhelmed or do fancy tricks or whatever to them...they go quick and they are all in beat w/one another so the flow just go.

i figured q-bert was just dropping knowledge again on us... that he did it on his own??

ps: i just wanted to add that there's nothing worse than a bboy who can't top and does floppy footwork but tries to do power moves and thinks that that's OK. Seriously, it's

There's nothing worse than a bboy who can't top and does floppy footwork but tries to do power moves and thinks that that's OK.

Too true - Which is why I've been toprocking for time, and now I'm working at developing my downrocking and power move game.

There's nothing worse than a bboy who can't top and does floppy footwork but tries to do power moves and thinks that that's OK.

Too true - Which is why I've been toprocking for time, and now I'm working at developing my downrocking and power move game.

My favorite is the characters that have clearly taken gymnastics for 10 years and think that's a free pass to get out on the floor and just do flare combinations for 20 minutes. B-O-R-I-N-G!