Your Local Spots on eBay

SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
I was going to post this anyways, and then a post by Spiv 2 seconds
ago directly refered to this, which I took as a sign I should go ahead.

I know most stores in my area sell on eBay. For whatever reason, none of them really promote their eBay sales in-store, even though I think they should.
I had one local spot whose eBay ID I knew, and would constantly check their auctions, because they would run stuff that doesn't get much play on eBay, I would bid and win cheap, and pick it up at my leisure with no shipping costs. That was good.

Bad, or frustrating, however, is the local store I just learned the eBay
ID for. I have been getting fairly good psych stuff outta there lately - but
I looked at their eBay auctions, and it was 2 full pages of awesome psych & 60's stuff. I don't begrudge them selling on eBay, I'm not knockin' the hustle - but doesn't it bum you out when you realize all this good shit is coming in
the door of a place you hit up constantly, frustrated by the lack of
new, quality stock - and you realize it's because it all hits the net
without you ever seeing it? They could at least float it out for a high amount
that they think they might get on theBay, and give us "first shot" at it...

Is this happening to you? Do you have good or bad experiences with local
stores with regards to eBay? Or none at all?[/boring rant that few will read through]

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    my local store just hawks reissues on eBay.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    on notice: stereojacks, vinylhighway, in_your_ear_records...who am i missing? btw-i'm not knocking their desire to make money but seeing stereojacks sell the daly wilson joint with "dirty feet" for $14 bummed me out. put that shit in the bins for the real world diggers please!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Exactly the same right here.
    Every good record is "for internet"... that sucks.

on notice: stereojacks, vinylhighway, in_your_ear_records...who am i missing?

johnnycoolrecords is L**ney T*nes, and they are the ones selling off Monoman from The Lyres' insane psych collection.

I've been gathering the crumbs in-store

hmmm..but vinylhighway is Looney Tunes??

now I'm confused...johnnycool is one of the stores, it can't be Nuggets

• on notice: stereojacks, vinylhighway, in_your_ear_records...who am i missing? btw-i'm not knocking their desire to make money but seeing stereojacks sell the daly wilson joint with "dirty feet" for $14 bummed me out. put that shit in the bins for the real world diggers please!

I don't think there was any going back after jack sold a blue rhythm combo for $700.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    nah man-johnnycoolrecords is this 50 year old dude who has the greased back 50's style hair. he buys up everything!

crazy - he just sold the entire 13th Floor Elevators catalog minty copies, got $300+ on most - is he pulling that shit around here??

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    he was selling at wfmu. he's a nice guy but he buys up all the joints i want...psych and rare ost! he also buys alot of terds!

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    paging the ponytail...

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    he looks like a north/south shore type of dude...if you dig in boston...you've seen him.

Not the dude that looks like Jaws from James Bond movies??
    The ticket scalper dude??

• atomic records in burbank always has tons of heat on the bay, yet the store stock is usually tepid and overpriced. can't blame them for the e-bay hustle cause they usually clean up, but i'd just as easily pay the same amount for some of the those records if i could buy it in person at the shop. i mean, they have their own record wall, but like i said it's mostly overpriced shit, or stuff i'm just not interested in. you'll almost never see one of those nice blue note mono's on the wall. but again, can't blame them for that, cause overseas buyers eat that shit up with a spoon.

• Man, its a drag to hear this about all these boston joints...Went in to Ch*@p-0 last week, and asked for a stack of 45s from the book. Now, I know they're not ALL gonna be there, but I'd done OK in the past. Dude came back with 1 record out of 10, and that was a repress. I told the guy behind the counter I'd take a look at the good stuff they'd set aside for eBay, but no love. I don't mind if you're setting the good stuff aside for the internet, but when you don't have ANYTHING, why bother with paying rent on a commercial location?
    I've never found a good, consistent place in Boston. I'd rather go to Northampton than here...

most of the stores around here have some sort of ebay presence...I've copped at least 1 thing from just about every one I think, I've gotten a few deals from Encore specifically. Whenever they put up old Sidney Bechet records and shit that's been on their shelves for years with a $100 price, and they realize no one will even drop $10 for that shit, I always wonder what they end up doing with the records. They probably go right back out with the same $100 tag.

but when you don't have ANYTHING, why bother with paying rent on a commercial location?

how else are they gonna get the heat for e***?

I don't think Cheapo's does eBay, do they?

That book is pretty much toast - but there are things in there if you go for oddball stuff. Ask about unknown shit that sounds good, and you'll score.

And Cheapo's is definitely one of the best spots. I pull literal heat out of there constantly. They at least have high turnover, which is the main problem
    with stores these days. Hit Cheapo's regularly, and you can score amazing shit
    for good prices.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    sorry man- i know your story all too well. the wall at ch*ap* has been 90%+ empty for a long time. just ask biz, manship and every other dealer/collector about it. 15+ years ago that was the spot in boston for 45. skippy whites also. times have changed

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    i have a warm spot in my heart for cheapo records...

• Cheap-0 has done me great by the New arrivals. Got some good ol' blues stuff there as well...hell, even some good 45s. This last trip in question, they said the good stuff was being set aside for starting out on eBay. I dunno. I've done well there, but that was a bad experience. Dude didn't say they were out of the 45s, but there was "too much stuff stacked in front of them- I can't get to the ones you want." Just a frustrating experience.

Got a good Dennis Miller 12", but hell...it was payday, and I was lookin' to get stoopid.

This last trip in question, they said the good stuff was being set aside for starting out on eBay.

NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Honestly, what I think it comes down to, is these stores
    selling on eBay don't understand that the eBay buyers are
    coming in the door, too - and would love to pay "eBay price"
    just to have a dope record in their hands, without the
    hassle of eBay. It would be easier for the store, too.

They need to get off those damn records.

Shit is gettin' hectic.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    don't worry about cheapo- R*b would never shaft the walk in customers...he always puts something good in the bins.

• Honestly, what I think it comes down to, is these stores
    selling on eBay don't understand that the eBay buyers are
    coming in the door, too - and would love to pay "eBay price"
    just to have a dope record in their hands, without the
    hassle of eBay. It would be easier for the store, too.

Agree with this 100%...now, I don't want to implicate Cheap0 or anything, but one of the first things I said was, "hey, if its a good record, I'll pay fair price". Bird in the hand over nonsense on eBay.