Favourite Bobby Womack LP ?

Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central

I pick this

but is very difficult to pick JUST ONE !!!!!!!!!

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    It would be easy for me to narrow it down, since several of those albums are really uneven!

My all-time fave, then, would have to be Bobby Womack's Greatest Hits. As Johnny Adams once sang, "hell yes I cheated," but then again, when I'm in a Womack mood that is the first album I'm reaching for.

Fave non-compilation album? It's a toss-up between these four:
    B.W. Goes C&W
    Fly Me To The Moon
    The Womack Live
    Understanding

• Understanding for me.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    i just saw that Live Womack lp in a store but didnt cop it, how is it?

• "Hey, thanks guys. It's good to hear my work is still appreciated. See you on the board!"

• the problem with "greatest hits" is that some time you don't have tracks like "you're welcome, stop on by", "it's all over now" , "simple man" and countless others.............. I mean all his albums have so many hidden gems that doesn't find place in compilation albums

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Fly Me To The Moon

This one for me

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    I
    The Womack Live

for me....

up there with the JB stuff for best live records ever... the way he holds a crowd effortlessly in his hands is magical... like Gene Chandler or Jackie Wilson, he can tease an audience any way he wants... the 10 minute long gospel rap/story part is masterful (and funny as fuck), plus the end where he's like "we gotta go, the po-lice are here!" is sick... oh yeah, and the songs are great, as fierce and funky as womack ever got...

i just saw that Live Womack lp in a store but didnt cop it, how is it?

Really good! It's 1970, he's at a small venue in Watts called the California Club, and while he'd already had some measure of fame, he wasn't quite the star he would become. He shouts, screams, banters with the audience, has a guitar duel with one of his sidemen, pulls blues singer Percy Mayfield out of the crowd to trade a few lines, and closes the album out with a long spoken intro leading up to "More Than I Can Stand."

the problem with "greatest hits" is that some time you don't have tracks like "you're welcome, stop on by", "it's all over now" , "simple man" and countless others.............. I mean all his albums have so many hidden gems that doesn't find place in compilation albums

"You're Welcome..." actually appears on the compilation I have (which stops at '74, since it was released in '74).

Admittedly, I'm not too fond of the three songs you named, but there's some good random tracks on Bobby's shakier albums that i like: "Quicksand" (from the Across 110th Street soundtrack), the title track of Communication, and "Daylight" and "Where There's A Will, There's A Way" (from Safety Zone).

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Fly Me To The Moon

Understanding

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    also, Womack fans should check this LP

he plays guitar with Szabo, all instrumental

• also, Womack fans should check this LP

cosign, great album

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    this is my kinda thread. Love Bobbeh, (Understanding, Communication, Looking...) but my favorite chillout sunday sing/rap along is FACTS OF LIFE.

who else can get away with
    "I want a glass of water/I'm thuursty"

cosign on the Minit lps for pop songwriting. "I'm in Love" is one of the best songs ever written. So simple.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Fly Me To The Moon

This one for me

To tie this in with current events, some of the best Wilson Pickett songs were written by Womack...

• understanding

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    My Prescription.

Arkansas State Prison is ill. I need to dig this out, wherever the fuck it is.

• yes

"everyone's gone to the moon" is fugg'n incredible.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    yes

"everyone's gone to the moon" is fugg'n incredible.

Oh, I definitely need this.

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

the problem with "greatest hits" is that some time you don't have tracks like "you're welcome, stop on by", "it's all over now" , "simple man" and countless others.............. I mean all his albums have so many hidden gems that doesn't find place in compilation albums

"You're Welcome..." actually appears on the compilation I have (which stops at '74, since it was released in '74).

Admittedly, I'm not too fond of the three songs you named, but there's some good random tracks on Bobby's shakier albums that i like: "Quicksand" (from the Across 110th Street soundtrack), the title track of Communication, and "Daylight" and "Where There's A Will, There's A Way" (from Safety Zone).

Across 110th Street has a few nice tracks on it IMO - there's the title track and the acoustic version of If You Don't Want My Love as well, which is just beautiful.

• our friend strutter posted a nice cover of "I can understand it" by the new birth on his blog : http://www.officethug.com/blog/

dwnld here :

http://www.officethug.com/blog/mp3/i_can_understand_it.mp3