Thanks for asking...

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
about my avatar.Big Chief Kevin Goodman:I get to go see him with his band tonight at Red Eyed Fly in Austin. He's supposed to have members of the longstanding New Orleans-based Flaming Arrows Mardi Gras Indians along with him. I caught them on New Year's Eve as part of Austin's First Night festivities. It really took me back. They did killer funk renditions of Professor Longhair's Big Chief, the Dixie Cups' Iko Iko, Wild Tchoupitoulas' Meet de Boys on the Battlefront, and the Meters' They All Asked for You. Big Chief Kevin was talking big about getting Mardi Gras started for real here in Austin. Such has been one of the fortunate by-products of the hurricane/flood and planned/forced displacement of New Orleans' core population: Austin taking on a bit more of NOLA culture. Along with Cyril Neville and the Hot-8 Brass Band, we can now add an actual Mardi Gras Indian troupe (which is currently taking on new members) to our formerly skinny NOLA cache of Gene's and this:

Comments

• for those slow on the uptake.

Welcome back, Mr. Regginelli.

• for those slow on the uptake.

Dude, how could

the Meters' They All Asked for You.

Come from anyone else??

Welcome back!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    We took in over 250K Katrina evacuees and all we got was a %20 higher murder.

*I want that on a tee shirt

but we still love NOLA women and their gold fronts.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Thanks...and I forgot to mention Casey's (posssibly because it's their off-season):

And for good measure:

Y'all got:

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Y'all got:

dj silver
    Deauchamps(sp?) productions
    Hot Boy Ronald
    JMK
    PNC

how's the fam-a-lam?

The lil one likes to dance around while banging on an electric keyboard.

She has a knack for stopping records and starting them back up again on beat.

She also loves to slap the skin of her djembe drum.

Next up, we break out the kalimba for her.

She did sleep through the Big Chief Kevin show on New Year's Eve, but she woke up just in time for the champagne and fireworks on the South 1st Street Bridge at midnight.

She's not quite walking yet, but soon come.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    for those slow on the uptake.

Dude, how could

the Meters' They All Asked for You.

Come from anyone else??

Welcome back!

I play this track to my 6 1/2 month old son almost every day, he laughs out loud.

Just sayin'