Night Owl NYC record swap pix

coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
the place was packed, still rocking @ 2am when i headed south for homemega super thanx to dj shakey for putting this onbest nyc record show promoter ever ! before the signs went up, apt was ez to miss jah wise & jerome were making most sellers smile early digging paycheck waits for the dunza dj shakey bar action richmond's loss is brooklyn's gain muro buys by the armfull who is the dj chatting with small change ??of all the great sets of the night his rocked the house hardestpeople were asking "what's that" on almost every needle dropcongrats dude ! apt was packed with diggers my other fave dj of the evening, when he dropped jamblassiemy whole life began to make sense these dudes bought some funny recordsthe drive home was a blurri discovered all this $$ in my pockets when i got homestill need to unload the cardamni heart nyc nightowl showsthanks again shakey & small change !

Comments

• RezRez 164 Posts
    the place was packed,
    still rocking @ 2am when i headed south for home

mega super thanx to dj shakey for putting this on
    best nyc record show promoter ever !

before the signs went up, apt was ez to miss

jah wise & jerome were making most sellers smile

early digging

paycheck waits for the dunza

dj shakey

bar action

richmond's loss is brooklyn's gain

muro buys by the armfull

who is the dj chatting with small change ??
    of all the great sets of the night his rocked the house hardest
    people were asking "what's that" on almost every needle drop
    congrats dude !

apt was packed with diggers

my other fave dj of the evening, when he dropped jamblassie
    my whole life began to make sense

these dudes bought some funny records

the drive home was a blurr
    i discovered all this $$ in my pockets when i got home
    still need to unload the car
    damn
    i heart nyc nightowl shows
    thanks again shakey & small change !

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    stop the Violence!

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Thanks for posting up those pics, T*m.

That show looked like it had all the right elements (vinyl, drinks, etc,.). I really hope the N.O.R.S will be like that in April.

• who is the dj chatting with small change ??
    congrats dude !

That would be DJ Soulcracker. He and another digger mofo DJ Inbetween have been working on a mix for a minute, and should be coming out soon. He's got stoopid rekkids. Lately been buying a bunch of funky Turkish shit, and I need to get up with him because I don't know squat about that scene.

my other fave dj of the evening, when he dropped jamblassie
    my whole life began to make sense

that's my friend Robbie aka Gerald McBoing Boing (his name comes from a Dr. Seuss character). I've done quite a few parties with this man, one of the hardest working diggers in show bizness, at the flea market at the crack of dawn many a weekend. We have a mix we did together coming out soon, musically all over the place but super funky, and he's also working on a gospel mix, he's got some heaters.

i heart nyc nightowl shows
    thanks again shakey & small change !

Really, thank Jules aka DJ Shakey. Its really her idea and she put in the work. Also Jared from Sound Library helped getting the dealers together, and Alec from APT was instrumental in making it happen. Should be another one (LPs and 45s) in a coupla months, either a botanica or possibly another bigger location. Depends on how many dealers are down. We'll be keeeping you posted, glad you had a good time.

$??

• Jules is also looking to change the name of the fair out of respect of the other rekkid swap that had the same name but was around longer. Keep ya posted on that as well.

$??

• not one person is smiling in any of these pictures. sounds like a good time though.

• not one person is smiling in any of these pictures. sounds like a good time though.

Diggin'. Its very serious bizness.

$??

• i played after the fixin' breaks crew, here's my setlist...all 45 which i gues was the theme of the evening all around:

Banbarra "Shack Up part 1"
    South Side Coalition "Get Off Your Seats and Jam"
    MFSB and Lou Rawls "Let's Clean up the Ghetto"
    Eddy Grant "Time Warp"
    Serge Gainesbourg "Sea Sex and Sun"
    Four Below Zero "My Baby's Got ESP part 1"
    Cloud One "Happy Music"
    Barrabas "Woman"
    the Pioneers "Papa Was a Rolling Stone"
    the Marvels "Rock Steady"

• nice disco 45's, that's how its done!!

damn! this show just looks amazing. really jealous over here on the opposite side of the fucking country!!

small change- when and where will these mixes be available? i'd be down to swap a mix... been putting together some weird disco edits and tracks....

crazypoprock- you still playing out in the city??

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

I don't even remember getting my pic taken, funny.

Maybe I was deep in the digging zone? Nice blur/action shot too.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

who is the dj chatting with small change ??
    congrats dude !

That would be DJ Soulcracker. He and another digger mofo DJ Inbetween have been working on a mix for a minute, and should be coming out soon. He's got stoopid rekkids. Lately been buying a bunch of funky Turkish shit, and I need to get up with him because I don't know squat about that scene.

it's done... they made me listen to it repeatedly on the drive up to montreal!!!!!

just kidding, it's ridiculously awesome and all done live with two turntables and no fx... you can why it took them months b/c it's a flawlessly mixed 80 minute set of rare funk with other tidbits thrown in...

next, myself, him, and Inbetween (seen in the "bar action" photo) are working on a Quebecois garage mix...

• hey great photos,
    whoever took those hit me with an email, i'd love some digital copies.

i'm still recovering from the fair, so glad it went well,
    thanks to jared for bringing in some deep mofos, alec who supported it 200%,
    and all the heads that came and gave it a look.
    i have photos too and will put them up soon.

i recorded the entire night of djs onto minidisc,
    i would like to put it online (with permission of the djs),
    if anyone has a way to assist with this, let me know.

i am planning another medium sized show in march (20 dealers) at botanica bar,
    and a big fair (30 - 40 dealers) in may (speaking to a few venues). i need to coordinate
    with other fairs in the area so as not to conflict.
    y'all will know when the dates are chosen.

meanwhile...anyone who wants on the mailing list (for fairs only)
    hit me at [email]covelloj@hotmail.com[/email]

cheers, jules aka djshakey

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    I kinda imagined SOULSTRUT >>>REALLIFE was just like this: Good Record shows + Graemlins + Salty REFERENTIALLS

Anyway - looks like a great thing, wish I was there.

• Looks like a hellava time. Hopefully we'll have some kinda show in DC soon.
    I'm sad that I missed out on raers and creative Sets ;(

• i recorded the entire night of djs onto minidisc,
    i would like to put it online (with permission of the djs),
    if anyone has a way to assist with this, let me know.

I got an MD and can transfer it to CD if you need.